Rubber vs. Nato vs. Perlon
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Rubber vs. Nato vs. Perlon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rubber vs. Nato vs. Perlon

I'm having a hard time understanding the pros and cons of these three watch strap types, when to wear one instead of another, and I'm hoping for some insights from this forum.

My Mühle Seebataillon looks equally sexy with its factory rubber strap, a blue and grey brushed metal NATO strap, and a goldenrod Perlon strap I added a titanium buckle to. I guess the rubber is a bit more serious, the NATO more James Bond, and the Perlon more eye-catching and fun.

I've noticed the Perlon is the most breathable for a hot and humid day, and dries quickest after swimming.

But other than that, when would I be in the 'wheelhouse' of the rubber and NATO straps? I'd like to feel I'm using each in its own element. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Rubber vs. Nato vs. Perlon

Lots of threads on this site on the pros and cons of each material. Each works well for it's intended use, so really a matter of personal preference.

If I am shopping for a rubber strap, I always go for something that is pure rubber, not latex or silicone, etc. Pure rubber is the only way to go.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

I've read all I could find on the comparisons but found it lacking. What are their "intended use?"

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

...aside from holding the case to the wrist: what are their distinctions and typical uses?

In which case would one wear the rubber strap over the others... the perlon... The NATO... ?

All I've noticed is that the Perlon dries the fastest and breathes the best. So with the security it's best for swimming. The rubber appears the most tactical, besides maybe the NATO which I'll wear to martial arts course because it's the most secure. I wouldn't think of the rubber as more refined for transitioning from the beach elsewhere but the newest Yachtmaster band suggests a rubber strap like this can be refined, albeit perhaps a thinner strap.

Thoughts?

It is hard to beat a quality rubber/silicone strap IMHO
    Do something exceptionally mediocre today

I think it depends on the watch. Some look better with a NATO strap and some don't, and so for the rest of materials

NATO strap looks best! With rubber strap watch too much
    herdingwetcats likes this.
    Strapmaker from Belarus.

Personally, the rubber looks outstanding. The Nato and perlon are only so so.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I'm trying to understand each's role. The discussion has become purely aesthetic complimentary / pejorative rather than a discussion of the characteristics of the material, which is fine. I've studied a bit how each strap type appears all over, and in the vein of aesthetic I'm trying to discern more precise adjectives to understand how they transform the watch itself:

Rubber aesthetics- tactical, nautical, purposeful, masculine, emphasizes the whole watch-strap uni package, but makes my wrist look a bit small with the strap thickness (my wrist is 7")

NATO- military, bondish, practical, low-profile, versatile, all-business no frills, well balanced aesthetic and wrist-flattering

Perlon- sporty, recreational, fashionable, specifically says I swim & hang out at the beach due to the material characteristics, emphasizes the second time zone.

Accurate? What would you add?

Quote Originally Posted by Semper View Post
    I think it depends on the watch. Some look better with a NATO strap and some don't, and so for the rest of materials

this

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information