Scrap or Jewelry
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NickNCut

Thread: Scrap or Jewelry

Scrap or Jewelry

Hi fellow watch seekers,
    This is my first post. I decided last night that I am a watch collector, when I went to get a band and realized I had 8 - 50+ year old watches in my jewelry box. I need to fund some repairs and before I go to the sharks of the gold market I want your opinion on something. I have a 14k solid gold band from a 1969 Bulova Accutorn that I got as a teenager. I am curious if it is worth anything as a band or just as scrap gold.

When I was 13 years old my grandmother gave me my grandfathers 1969 gold Bulova Accutron with a 14k gold bracelet. It did not fit me so my parents took me to what they thought was a good jeweler to get the bracelet fitted. A week later we went to pick it up and realized the jeweler just cut the band and re-soldered it. Even as a young boy I was horrified that they would do that to a beautiful band. They should have just recommended a leather band, which is what it has now. Later i had some of the links that they removed soldered back in. Creating more ugliness, in my opinion. Now, I need money to resurrect the Jaeger LeCoultre Memovox that my father gave me.

Is the bracelet worth anything as a band or should I just sell it for scrap gold? Attached are pictures, they don't show the damage very well, but would be a good representation of what the naked eye might see.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Scrap or Jewelry

Hi
    Welcome to the forum.
    Unfortunately I can't think of anything else but scrap in terms of the bracelet.
    It's nice chunk of gold and you'll probably get decent amount of cash for it.
    Bulova Accutron from that period doesn't have any historical or collectors value. (it's probably has more sentimental value for you)
    It would be nice to see picture of the watch as well.
    It's a terrible waste this obvious charlatan watchmaker did but you would probably wear this watch on leather today no matter of condition of the bracelet.
    I would love to see the rest of your collection.
    Memovox sounds really cool.
    This bracelet will certainly help you resurrected it!

Tx

Roberto

Thanks Roberto. That is what I thought but did not want to be guilty of destroying something that someone could use. Definitely more sentimental value than historical or monetary value.

Here is the watch, I always liked the look of it, nice clean and simple.

Name:  IMAG0203.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  74.5 KB
    Tony A.H likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Unfortunately I can't think of anything else but scrap in terms of the bracelet.
    It's nice chunk of gold and you'll probably get decent amount of cash for it.
    Bulova Accutron from that period doesn't have any historical or collectors value. (it's probably has more sentimental value for you)
    It would be nice to see picture of the watch as well.
    It's a terrible waste this obvious charlatan watchmaker did but you would probably wear this watch on leather today no matter of condition of the bracelet.
    I would love to see the rest of your collection.
    Memovox sounds really cool.
    This bracelet will certainly help you resurrected it!
    I agree.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

I also agree with Roberto.
    since the Bracelet had Lost it's Original look and length, i'd Scrap it and use the money for something else.
    I personally thin that Watch looks Better on Leather.
    The Emotion is Aroused by Something Marvelous. Gazed with Wonder.

Pink Floyd in Pilot Suits... oh, LOVE The Band.

That's a shame that it got chopped up. Dollar wise, it might be worth more as scrap. However, there are collectors of everything, and there may be someone out there looking for an Accutron bracelet. It can't be too common, especially in solid gold.

Thanks for the other answers, I did not know anybody had posted I didn't get any notification. Like I said I am new here.

Yeah, when I got older and wanted to wear it again and the chopped band did not fit me, I really liked it on a leather band. That made me even madder at the jeweler that first chopped it 30 plus years ago rather than recommending a leather strap. I checked int the gold buyers and they are only paying like 75% of spot price at best. For that kind of money I will just hang on to it and maybe someday I'll come across someone who could use it and will pay a fair amount for it. i'd be happy with 90 - 95% of spot price and they could have a nice bracelet at scrap price.

Thread Information