Silicone, Rubber, PU, Nitrile... Can you help define each caracteristics and specs
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By 2500M_Sub
  • 1 Post By CADstraps

Thread: Silicone, Rubber, PU, Nitrile... Can you help define each caracteristics and specs

Banned

Silicone, Rubber, PU, Nitrile... Can you help define each caracteristics and specs

I am looking for carateristics for these straps and know how they feel on one's wrist

RUBBER (NATURAL vs Artificial
    SILICONE
    PU
    NITRILE RUBBER

Pro's and Con's of each

here's something a found on internet but addapted to O-Ring only
    Materials: Viton, Nitrile, Silicone, Polyurethane, EPDM, Fluorosilicone, Teflon, PTFE filled, PEEK, Nylon, Acetal
    thanks

Re: Silicone, Rubber, PU, Nitrile... Can you help define each caracteristics and specs

Okay here is what I know and I have most of my collection on rubber.

Silicone - soft, does not hold a curve, lint collector, tears easily
    Pu - Sort of stiff, does not collect lint, looks great but will crack and develop an oily surface after a several years
    Resin - stiff, can look cheap, lasts a long time (should not be on any high end watch)
    Rubber (Nitrile, vulcanized, natural etc) - looks great, lasts a very long time, does not tear easily, sometimes infused with a vanilla scent

So the recommendation, stick with rubber, stay away from the rest.

Regards,

Ren
    Nokie and Mikavulin like this.

Re: Silicone, Rubber, PU, Nitrile... Can you help define each caracteristics and specs

Yup. Only way to go.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 2500M_Sub View Post
    Okay here is what I know and I have most of my collection on rubber.

Silicone - soft, does not hold a curve, lint collector, tears easily
    Pu - Sort of stiff, does not collect lint, looks great but will crack and develop an oily surface after a several years
    Resin - stiff, can look cheap, lasts a long time (should not be on any high end watch)
    Rubber (Nitrile, vulcanized, natural etc) - looks great, lasts a very long time, does not tear easily, sometimes infused with a vanilla scent

Regards,

Ren
    Thanks for this interesting comment.

what uses Ice-Watch, Casio, swatch, omega, citizen, rolex...
    Last edited by Mikavulin; March 27th, 2014 at 17:20.

My Casios (Gs, Pathfinder/Protrek) have resin straps that have held up very well, some for more than 10 years. There are lots of stories about resin rot, I'm of the believe that this is environment dependant, not simply a given - my Pathfinder, for instance, has been to hell and back with me for almost a decade, and the strap is still peffect - I inspect it before every trip, because if it looks like it will fail, I won't bring it. No signs yet.

No idea what an Ice-Watch is.

Swatch uses several different materials - resin in a lot of older swatches, and the newer dive series (Scuba Libre) uses silicone.

I don't think Rolex directly offers a rubber, etc strap - I know there are 3rd party vendors that make them specifically for Subs, etc. Looking at the pricing, they are made from an unobtanium and unicorn tears alloy.

I can't think of a CTZ with a rubber OEM strap, but I'm sure someone else will know, and the Proplof is the only Omega I can think of that comes with a rubber option, and I've never handled one because the ugly is so powerful it keeps pushing me away. Again, there is a lot of knowledge aroud here, so someone will fill in the blanks.
    Mikavulin likes this.
    Influence is like the wind...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CADstraps View Post
    My Casios (Gs, Pathfinder/Protrek) have resin straps that have held up very well, some for more than 10 years. There are lots of stories about resin rot, I'm of the believe that this is environment dependant, not simply a given - my Pathfinder, for instance, has been to hell and back with me for almost a decade, and the strap is still peffect - I inspect it before every trip, because if it looks like it will fail, I won't bring it. No signs yet.

No idea what an Ice-Watch is.

Swatch uses several different materials - resin in a lot of older swatches, and the newer dive series (Scuba Libre) uses silicone.

I don't think Rolex directly offers a rubber, etc strap - I know there are 3rd party vendors that make them specifically for Subs, etc. Looking at the pricing, they are made from an unobtanium and unicorn tears alloy.

I can't think of a CTZ with a rubber OEM strap, but I'm sure someone else will know, and the Proplof is the only Omega I can think of that comes with a rubber option, and I've never handled one because the ugly is so powerful it keeps pushing me away. Again, there is a lot of knowledge aroud here, so someone will fill in the blanks.
    Thanks for you info

I learned this week that silicon strap comes in different style and feel, the magority of Silicon are around soft, Medium and hard where I prefere the feel of medium.
    now could not get info on the composition yet.

Thread Information