Something Unusual

Thread: Something Unusual

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Something Unusual

First time posting in this forum, so hello and respects to all.

My reason for posting is that I thought I would share something perhaps a bit unusual.

In about 1993 when my Tag 2000’s leather strap was starting to fall to bits I thought I might try and make something that while a strap was though rather longer lasting and more reliable than the usual leather and buckle type. Well some fifteen years later this little experiment seems to have been a moderate success, as while not worn every day he strap has been holding up quite well. (Images taken some time ago though.)

One of my pet hates with watch bracelets and straps is where the buckles are placed, in that the opposite side of the watch is a pretty vulnerable place and is subject to wear and abrasion. I also wanted to avoid the use of leather with a tough tool / diving watch but wanted to retain the comfort of a soft strap rather than a hard and perhaps hair-tugging bracelet. Of course there are some very comfortable bracelets and tough straps around, but I wanted to do something different for myself.

So I placed my buckle in a convenient and out of the way place and made the strap out of a flexible and fairly inert plastic. The metal is mostly silver with stainless screws and the odd stainless part. The strap was made from Viton heat shrink tubing, which is an irradiated cross linked fluro elastomer. It’s very tough and mostly used to protect wiring on aircraft landing gear. This was split, heated and then flattened to shape, and as the strap was for me only, just one hole needed to be punched. In those days I didn’t have any machine tools, so the metal was worked by hand with files and an electric drill.

Hopefully the photographs are self-explanatory.

Re: Something Unusual

WOW!?! that is flat out cool. You built the buckle with hand tools? I'm impressed, I want one. So in effect you carved the buckle out of silver, the posts and keeper are SS? What guage was the silver?

I think I used 3mm silver plate for the solid ‘link’ and for the keeper, which is held on by two stainless socket screws. I used 1mm silver for the strap fixing at the other end and a stainless steel bar and screws to clamp down the strap. Quite a bit of silver was chopped away to make things lighter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Gino, I think I got it. The buckle end is drilled for the spring bar/screw and the buckle tongue/heel bar and on the 1mm strap end you folded it over the tube/spring bar channel.

I have to say that is probably the coolest design I have ever seen. That would look great with a leather strap as well well. You should have that buckle and lug attachment produced. Im sure there are people that would be interested in buying it. I know I would

To echo what others have said, I really like that strap and buckle arrangement. I'd also love to get my hands on a strap (or the hard bits) myself.

Hi Gino, welcome to StrapsUSeek!

Man, that is the coolest thing I've ever seen! Great job! And yes, it also would look good on leather, you should try it out!

Cheers!

Daniel Z.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

...make me one!

What a cool way to rethink strap and buckle design and it looks amazing.

I have a question about comfort. When I feel my wrist, the bone is right below the skin on the top and the sides, while the underside where the buckle normally is is "soft and fleshy". I can't help thinking that the buckle and stainless screws in your design might somehow "grind" against the bony part of the wrist?

Very different Gino, & I like different!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information