"Standard" vs "Premium" leather straps

Thread: "Standard" vs "Premium" leather straps

"Standard" vs "Premium" leather straps

So I'm relatively new to the watch game, and I'm looking for my first strap purchase. I'm seeing a lot of places offer different types of straps in the "standard" and "premium" ranges. Aside from the types of leather used (chromexcel, cordovan, cavalier, etc), I noticed that most standard straps are single layer/unlined and premium are double layer and/or lined.

My current watch came with I guess what I would describe as "standard" straps (i.e. they are single layer/unlined). I like the feel and softness of it, but sometimes I like the looks of the "premium" straps. Can anybody who has a double layered strap comment on how comfortable and soft/pliable the leather is?

Re: "Standard" vs "Premium" leather straps

All depends on the strap maker really Viper. Obviously the better manufacturers out there are going to cost more but there is a reason for it. For example I have a double layer strap I got from panatine for about 40 bucks... and the covering on the side of the strap basically started peeling off and tearing within 2 months. Meanwhile it started stiff and finally got a little lose over time but still not "comfortable". Got a double layer strap from Bulang and Sons that would run about 100 dollars... It was pliable and soft after about 1-2 wears, and after years still no signs of real wear and tear as long as I make sure to keep it clean and take care of it.

Hmm thanks! I guess it makes sense that not all straps are created equal. In particular I was looking at the Worn&Wound Model 1. My concern was that it was going to be thick, or at least thicker than what I've been used to (it's listed as 5mm... when doubled up around the buckle, that's reaching as thick as a typical case thickness these days). It does exude real "premium" quality though, so here's hoping the leather is soft and pliable. Like I mentioned before, I admire the design of those double layer straps more than the single layer offerings that W&W has.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Most of the retail straps are almost 4mm, or around 3.5-3.8 mm, custom straps will be able to do in 5mm thickness.
    New leather is bit stiff but gets broken into eventually, I usually prefer bit stiff straps so I don't have to wear them tight which makes buckle creases on the leather,.

They vary widely by brand. I'd recommend checking a bunch out at a watch shop. Maybe when you bring a quartz in for a battery change.

Thread Information