Straight or Curved Springbars?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By CrownAndBuckle
  • 1 Post By gangrel

Thread: Straight or Curved Springbars?

Straight or Curved Springbars?

How does one decide whether to use a curved or straight spring bar/strap. I imagine it has to do with lug shape. How would that vary from, say, straight to teardrop lugs?

Re: Straight or Curved Springbars?

Curved bars are usually only used when it's absolutely necessary to get a little bit of clearance between the center of the spring bar and the case of the watch. You'll almost always be using straight spring bars.
    slcbbrown likes this.

^^^^

This.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

To expand a bit, curved spring bars are generally reserved for when the manufacturer wants the strap to be snug up against the case...no gap. That means the lug holes are drilled very close to the case. The downside primarily is, those holes won't readily support a bracelet, as I've seen few curved-end metal bracelets. Similarly, options in silicone or rubber are few and far between.

The Ming 17.01 is this way...but for the 17.03 and IIRC the 19 series, they actually drilled 2 sets of holes, so a standard-end strap can also be used.
    slcbbrown likes this.
    And it is also said, "go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say no and yes."
    -- Frodo, to Gildor

As mentioned, not common place and usually only reserved for getting strap clearance on a tight lug, Rolex Datejust is a prime example, using curved spring bars will give that clearance to stop the strap rubbing against the case, leather against metal, will only be one winner !
    " Started as a hobby.....but is now clearly a WatchObsession !!"

lvt

I have the impression that curved springbars won't be as strong as straight ones?
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    I have the impression that curved springbars won't be as strong as straight ones?
    Interesting question. I know some people who gets curved spring bars by bending straight ones on a spoon. There are however proper bending tools, but I would still be reluctant to try one. How it will affect its strength i wouldn't have no idea lol.

I get my curved spring bars from JLC directly as they make them. Ofrei also sells swiss made curved ones.
    Current Watches
    : Rolex Explorer 114270 | Heuer CS3140 Re-Issue |
    Glashuette Original PanoReserve | MeisterSinger Pangaea | Seiko SKX009 | Grand Seiko SBGW231 | Grand Seiko SBGE227 | Habring2 Foudroyante
    Previous Watches: Omega Seamaster 2531.80 | Omega Seamaster 2220.80 | JLC Reserve De Marche | Perpetual Tourbillon-T01 | Seagull M182SK | IWC 377714 Le Petit Prince | Nomos Orion |
    Seiko Alpinist | Tag Heuer Monaco | Grand Seiko SBGX091 | Omega Ultraman Re-issue | Current Omega Speedmaster Sapphire | A. Lange and Sohne 1815 U/D | Omega Speedmaster FOIS | Omega Speedmaster 145-022.78 | SBDC051

I doubt strength would be compromised. However, it seems likely they'd be a bit more likely to pop out, just based on the geometry of the hole and the bar. That said, having it pop out would still require an unusual, sharp tug from the strap. On a two-piece strap...seems implausible. On a single-pass or NATO strap? I'd be more worried. Perhaps wrongly, to be sure, but more worried.
    And it is also said, "go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say no and yes."
    -- Frodo, to Gildor

Thread Information