Strap Backing?

Thread: Strap Backing?

Strap Backing?

Hello all,

I've been enjoying making my own straps lately - slowly developing some of the techniques involved, but one aspect is eluding me. Some of the straps I've purchased (likely machine made) have a back lining of very thin material. This paper thin material does a good job of hiding seams, and has the added benefit of providing a spot for some contrast colour on the inside of the strap.

Anyone know what this material is called/how I should look for it? I believe that it is leather, just a very specific, purpose treated variety maybe?

Thanks

Re: Strap Backing?

You've got options. I stock all kinds of lining leather - as long as it is soft, tough, and suitable to work with, you're fine.

My favourite is lambskin, I just think it's the softest. I also enjoy goat and kid skins, and have been using deerskins as well - these I find to be the easiest the dye custom colours, and while soft, have a great texture to them. I have used calfskin as well, but this material, while tough, has significant stretch to it, making it tricky to work with and is the most absorbant of any liner, meaning it will take up a lot of sweat if you sweat under your watch a lot.

Regarding the weight (thickness), it is not easy to find them in that paper-thin weight, and when you do, the quality is ussally absent. So, I buy them in standard weights - somewhere between 1 and 2 ounces - and split them myself. This makes dying them easier, as you dye the hide, and then split away what you don't want. Just make sure your splitter is *sharp* - these liner hides all generally have some kind of stretch to them, so pull slowly, but continously and methodically. I polish my splitter blade every time before I split a hide like this: top and bottom.

Re: Strap Backing?

If you don't have access to a splitter, search for leathers sold for bookbinding purposes. They're usually no thicker than 1mm at most and can be bought in relatively small quantities.
    You can watch something happen, you can make something happen, or you can stand there wondering what the hell just happened.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

@CADstraps Good suggestions! I have tried lambskin on one of my straps, and is by far the most comfortable I've made. I'll look some of other options you mention - and I haven't dyed my own leather yet, that's also on the list of "to-learns". Thanks!

@amacman Also, another good one. I hadn't considered book binding materials (despite having experience with them) - I shall investigate!

Thanks guys

Thread Information