A Strap Epiphany!
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: A Strap Epiphany!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A Strap Epiphany!

I have recently discovered that a proper strap (in my case I prefer leather) can really make or break a watch and the whole watch wearing experience. I no longer ever wear a metal bracelet type band and I have replaced any of my bracelet watches with leather straps. There is nothing wrong with the metal bracelet and if one likes or prefers them then that is fine. I just don't care for them as I once did. A leather strap can breathe new life into a once ho hum watch. Here is one of my examples: I recently bought an Air Blue automatic pilot's watch that has a black dial with tan numerals and markers. It also came with a black leather strap. I found the watch to be boring and was not inclined to wear it very much. Then I had an idea. I ordered a nice tan leather strap that matched the tan dial markers and wow, I couldn't believe the difference. The whole watch just seem to come alive. I really like cream and beige dials as well as brown dials. I installed either tan or light brown straps on all of my cream and beige dial watches and light brown straps on my brown dial ones. They all look great and are a pleasure to wear. Really dark brown or black straps just don't do it for me anymore. Just thought I would share.
    cottontop
    "Never argue with a fool. He will bring you down to his level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
    Kurt Vonnegut called them, "pissants."

Re: A Strap Epiphany!

I am always surprised how much a strap can change up a watch... Whenever I feel my wrist looks a little boring, I throw on a new strap and voila, it's a different beast right there.

Your post inspired me to install a strap I haven't had out in a while...

cottontop, Nokie and JOSE G like this.

Couldn't agree more. I think I actually might like straps more then watches.
    BRad704, cottontop and raptus like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Amen to that brother! I have a few pieces that as soon as I bought them, the bracelet came right off and was replaced by a strap. Examples include Tudor BBR and Rolex Exp 1. So much better that way. I realized a while ago that a strap is my preference. I only have a bracelet on one or two... only because I truly believe the bracelet works better on these.
    cottontop likes this.

Straps are really what make the watch. It's amazing to see how the same watch can look so much different with the right strap.

Quote Originally Posted by CastorTroy3 View Post
    cottontop likes this.

You certainly get more variety to work with. Not limited like you are with stainless.

The tan strap on the Rolex ND posted above is most excellent.
    raptus and cottontop like this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    You certainly get more variety to work with. Not limited like you are with stainless.

The tan strap on the Rolex ND posted above is most excellent.
    Thanks, appreciate it! I'm surprised myself how well it works, and how much it changes the look of the piece.

Gratuitous extra wrist shot:

cottontop and JOSE G like this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CastorTroy3 View Post
    I think I may be in the same camp. I've only owned a half dozen watches, and only have two currently. But along the way I've had a lot of fun trying all sorts of different straps--one-piece single pass, nato, conventional two-piece, and many different materials from shell cordovan to rubber and everything in between, including a number of beautifully crafted custom straps. My current stable is about two dozen, but I've had many more and culled the collection along the way. Sometimes straps don't work out for a variety of reasons, and I move them along. In the grand scheme of things, it's a fun and relatively inexpensive hobby. Recently my little watch strap addiction has let to an interest in well-crafted leather wallets from small companies, especially minimalist ones I can carry in my front pocket. It's just as much fun hunting for those as for watch straps. There are some very talented leather craftsmen (and women) out there making some great stuff.
    Last edited by dhtjr; September 1st, 2016 at 02:17.
    cottontop likes this.

A Strap Epiphany!

My wife's new strap for her Nomos. Just ordered for her today. She makes fun of me for chatting but she reps the benefits of top notch customs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CastorTroy3; September 1st, 2016 at 01:55.
    cottontop likes this.

Another strap freak here... I have to admit I change straps almost daily but with a collection of over 600 straps (!!) this is an easy thing to do. 99.9% of my straps are leather and I made all of them myself. It's a sickness and I haven't found a cure yet...
    cottontop likes this.
    Panerai Sub 024, Breitling Seawolf Ti, BR02 PVD, Tag Heuer Carrera blue, Heuer 980.006, Heuer 1000M Deep Diver, Tag Heuer Super Professional, Citizen Aqualand

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information