Strap for First Luxury Watch
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Strap for First Luxury Watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Strap for First Luxury Watch

I'm about to purchase my first luxury watch. One of the watches I'm considering is the Vacheron Constantin Fiftysix self-winding (see attachment). I am also considering a similarly styled JLC MUT. These are both dress watches with black leather straps.

My question: If I don't want to keep paying lots of money every 1-2 years for a replacement leather strap, what are my options? I would like a nice rubber strap, for example. Who makes the best rubber straps? Who makes the best bracelets?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Strap for First Luxury Watch

What would you consider "lots"? ABP Paris and Camille Fournet offer completely custom, top-notch straps that, short of exceptionally expensive leathers (stingray with the large pearls, for example) should stay in the $200-250 range. Considering you're talking a FiftySix, I personally wouldn't consider this a lot.

Also, the factory strap comes on a deployant clasp, so wear and tear is greatly minimized. You're never stretching the leather by bending it backwards as in a pin buckle.

For a metal bracelet, I'd probably start by talking to VC. They don't show one as an option, but that doesn't mean they don't have one. And if they don't offer one, they might suggest a bracelet maker of the appropriate quality...altho anyone they suggest, is probably gonna cost ya.
    mpalmer likes this.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

The blue dial fifty six is now offered on bracelet on the VC site so I’m sure you could buy the bracelet separately for the silver dial version
    Attached Images Attached Images

mpalmer likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You should probably be more worried about the servicing cost of the watch rather than the cost of buying new straps. As noted above you can buy very high quality custom made straps for around $250 and even less if you don't require alligator or other exotic material. And you can find high quality non-custom made straps for under $100 too. If I'm right the VC should have 20mm lugs so there are plenty of options. For example a shell cordovan strap would work well with this watch and their durability is usually above average. I've had one made for Nomos and it lasted several years. VC offers a metal bracelet option for the blue model so you should consider that or maybe a high quality mesh bracelet could work too. But I would never put a rubber strap on a dress watch.

FiftySix isn't a pure dress watch, and VC supplies a rubber strap in the box, IIRC, with the Overseas. I will grant, I don't think I'd do rubber with the silver dial FiftySix. Maybe a gray, but then it definitely doesn't fit with business wear. Gray...hmm...it could look really good on gray suede.

Oh, quick side point.

As pointed out, the blue dial is offered on bracelet. The premium over the leather strap is $900. Ordering it separately...you get HOSED. Figure you're looking at a minimum $1500 tag.

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post
    Oh, quick side point.

As pointed out, the blue dial is offered on bracelet. The premium over the leather strap is $900. Ordering it separately...you get HOSED. Figure you're looking at a minimum $1500 tag.
    I think this is a valid point. Might be worth it to pick this one up and get an aftermarket alligator strap for about a hundred and you've got a permanent option and a backup when you want a change.

I was quoted about $900 for the bracelet. Less than I thought.
    @watchalefty on Instagram

Vacheron Constantin FiftySix Day-Date, Glashutte Original PanomaticLunar, H. Moser & Cie Pioneer, JLC MUT Moon, Vicenterra Tycho Brahe, Breitling Navitimer
    , Zenith 36'000 VPH, Habring2 Foudroyante, IWC Ingenieur 3239, Nomos Metro 38, Omega Planet Ocean

I’d go for the bracelet and then take it from there.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Quote Originally Posted by kak1154 View Post
    I was quoted about $900 for the bracelet. Less than I thought.
    That's not bad at all. In fact...it doesn't make sense. The bracelet version's 900 more. Why not get the strap version and the bracelet separately...same total price. And...double checking...nope. That bracelet model doesn't say anything, in a quick perusal, about the strap being included. Hey, that would make it a slam-dunk for me, if I wanted the bracelet. And presuming it's available for any of the dial colors. You'd think so.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information