Strap style that minimizes watch thickness most?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mcarter7

Thread: Strap style that minimizes watch thickness most?

Strap style that minimizes watch thickness most?

I recently purchased a chronograph which, although it doesn't have a large case diameter, does have the typical 7750 thickness, and therefore looks too large on my small 6.25" wrist.

I am considering accepting the idea that chronos are not for me. But before I throw in the towel, could anyone suggest what type of watch strap might minimize the appearance of size as much as possible? The lug width is 21mm and the watch currently has an oyster bracelet.

I thought a darker leather band might reduce overall apparent size in the same manner that perhaps dark clothes reduce the size of a person relative to bright and light colored clothes. I wonder about thickness, though.

Do thicker bands make a watch look slimmer or bulkier? Of course, a thicker band is larger. But it might also make the watch case look thinner since it has greater height to hide more case wall.

Any suggestions on what style of strap might minimize the appearance of a thick chronograph on a small-wristed person would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Strap style that minimizes watch thickness most?

I just bought a Pulsar PS7001, it's a pretty thick watch at 17mm, but it wears pretty well. Not sure if the strap has anything to do with it or not.

Name:  Pulsar 7001 11.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  186.6 KB

Rather than changing straps, I think the real solution is a slimmer watch, even if it isn't an automatic. For the price of some straps, the quartz Casio EF503 is a great chronograph, and only 10 mm thick. You can get them on leather or Casios nice solid link bracelet. Everything about the 503 looks and feels like a much more expensive watch.

Name:  Casio EF 503 Black on wrist.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  243.2 KB

Name:  Casio EF503 Blue 4.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  122.4 KB

Yes you have a point that going quartz is a way to get a thin chrono. But I think I'm committed to keeping my collection mechanical.
    joepac likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mcarter7 View Post
    I recently purchased a chronograph which, although it doesn't have a large case diameter, does have the typical 7750 thickness, and therefore looks too large on my small 6.25" wrist.

I am considering accepting the idea that chronos are not for me. But before I throw in the towel, could anyone suggest what type of watch strap might minimize the appearance of size as much as possible? The lug width is 21mm and the watch currently has an oyster bracelet.

I thought a darker leather band might reduce overall apparent size in the same manner that perhaps dark clothes reduce the size of a person relative to bright and light colored clothes. I wonder about thickness, though.

Do thicker bands make a watch look slimmer or bulkier? Of course, a thicker band is larger. But it might also make the watch case look thinner since it has greater height to hide more case wall.

Any suggestions on what style of strap might minimize the appearance of a thick chronograph on a small-wristed person would be greatly appreciated.
    I think it depends on style. If it's a sport watch you can get away with a little bigger watch.

Do u have a picture to see what we are dealing with?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

A thin strap on a thicker watch just doesn't look proportional to me, IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

I would suggest a bracelet for a 7750 chronograph. Here's my Bremont from top and side; that fact that the bracelet fills the gap between lug and case helps mask the thickness when viewed dead on.

Name:  BREMONT_wrist3.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  200.6 KB

Name:  BREMONT_wrist1.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  195.3 KB

Regards,
    Alysandir
    • Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15500ST.OO.1220ST.02
    • Blancpain Bathyscaphe Chronographe 5200.1110.70B
    • Bremont Boeing Model 247 Ti-GMT
    • Casio G-Shock GW2310FB-1CR