Straps with narrower lug segment than the rest

Name:  39605960_0.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  49.8 KBName:  1681934434_back-604-604.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  178.9 KBName:  51zlK9AnygL.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  43.5 KB

So, I bought myself this watch. I never liked fashion brands, but this one really caught my attention. The tall cylindrical casing with flat crystal and beautifully skeletonized dial with brand barely visible on the crystal, it makes it a really pretty watch. I have a somewhat tiny wrist so wearing girly watches was never really an issue for me. I have the Casio Futurist which is really narrow entirely with case and strap, but looks good. Same for Seagull M182SK which is also branded as women's watch. Anyway, the case of this Fossil Boyfriend watch is sized reasonably well, it's the strap that really gives it away as girly. Especially being beige even more so.

The original strap is just 18mm. I'm wondering, are there straps that would have 18mm at the lug where you attach it, but 24mm right next to the lugs and forward?

Like so (strap mockup in image editor):

Name:  strap_size.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  227.8 KB

Is there any special name for straps with such dimensions? I want to artificially make the watch to look bigger and strap wider like this. But I don't feel like cutting an existing 24mm strap to fit into 18mm lugs. I've seen such method of making watch look bigger and strap wider on my Seiko Spirit E-Ink where strap extends beyond lugs like this, but I don't think I've seen strap this way on sale as stand alone item.

I'm not sure about the strap yet, but I like Cordura a lot and I think I'll go with desert Khaki with 18mm lug dimension and strap at 24mm. So, is there any special name for such dimensioned straps so I know what to look for on eBay or in strap stores?
    Last edited by RejZoR; July 5th, 2016 at 10:57.
    It doesn't matter how much the watch costs, it only matters if it makes your heart tick.

Re: Straps with narrower lug segment than the rest

It is called "notched" strap.
    IG: @wtma
    ---
    CASIO G-SHOCK GMW-B5000-1
    SEIKO PROSPEX MARINEMASTER PROFESSIONAL SBBN007
    GLYCINE AIRMAN VINTAGE 1953 LE 3904.14/66AIRMAN DC-4 3904.19H24/66
    DAMASKO LARGE AVIATOR MANUFACTORY CALIBRE DK15

TUDOR HERITAGE BLACK BAY 36 M79500-0004
    BREITLING PREMIER AUTOMATIC 40 A37340351B1A1
    OMEGA SPEEDMASTER PROFESSIONAL MOONWATCH 311.30.42.30.01.006
    ROLEX OYSTER PERPETUAL DATEJUST 36 126234-0025 (GRAIL)

Lots of strap makers here can make one, and you might get lucky if you Google "Pre-made Notched watch straps" or similar terms to find other resources.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

So, notched straps aren't exactly a common thing, I'd have to buy a custom made one? Darn, I was hoping to be able to simply pick a Cordura strap, select actual lug size and the strap size and just buy it.
    It doesn't matter how much the watch costs, it only matters if it makes your heart tick.

God I'm such an idiot. I've notched my Cordura strap myself, cut the excess material myself and treated the cut edge with heat so the fabric wouldn't fall apart after cutting it. Just to realize I don't have any 18mm spring bars XD The ones from original strap are integrated with a lever for toolless strap removal and they can't be used for this one. Now I have to order some 18mm spring bars first before I can properly try the notched strap lol XD
    wtma and brandon\ like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RejZoR View Post
    God I'm such an idiot. I've notched my Cordura strap myself, cut the excess material myself and treated the cut edge with heat so the fabric wouldn't fall apart after cutting it. Just to realize I don't have any 18mm spring bars XD The ones from original strap are integrated with a lever for toolless strap removal and they can't be used for this one. Now I have to order some 18mm spring bars first before I can properly try the notched strap lol XD
    LOL ...
    Yeah quick release springbars are very useful, most of Fossil watches come with them.
    I wish more straps were made this way.
    IG: @wtma
    ---
    CASIO G-SHOCK GMW-B5000-1
    SEIKO PROSPEX MARINEMASTER PROFESSIONAL SBBN007
    GLYCINE AIRMAN VINTAGE 1953 LE 3904.14/66AIRMAN DC-4 3904.19H24/66
    DAMASKO LARGE AVIATOR MANUFACTORY CALIBRE DK15

TUDOR HERITAGE BLACK BAY 36 M79500-0004
    BREITLING PREMIER AUTOMATIC 40 A37340351B1A1
    OMEGA SPEEDMASTER PROFESSIONAL MOONWATCH 311.30.42.30.01.006
    ROLEX OYSTER PERPETUAL DATEJUST 36 126234-0025 (GRAIL)

In the end, I've ordered a 18mm Cordura strap anyway. I'll still finish the notching of my wider strap, but at least this 18mm Cordura has the same width through the entire length unlike original strap which is 18mm at the lugs and 15mm at the buckle. I think it'll look less feminine being of same width the entire length despite being only 18mm. And I'll get 18mm spring bars with it so I can already test the notched one as well. The 18mm spring bars from China will most likely arrive sometime in August XD

Post pictures of your work when you get everything finalized. Notching is fairly easy to do, so hope it turned out good for you.
    brandon\ likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

I don't think you'd have to worry much about a notched strap looking feminine, but I do think that the skeleton can pull of either. I have a first run original subaqua chrono in my collection and it is the only watch I've ever owned with a notched style bracelet. I've always wanted a different strap option for it (not that it gets much use), and I think given the case diameter the notched strap is a necessity to not make the strap appear undersized.

So, I have just received 18mm spring bars. Here is the final result. Would prefer a 24mm strap notched down to 18mm so it would be as wide as lugs, but I think this still looks pretty good. If you look really closely you can see it's a hand job (this doesn't sound the way I wanted it XD), but from a bit away, it looks ok. I also bought a normal 18mm Cordura strap just in case, because it still looks less feminine than beige real leather strap.

Here are the photos of home notched Cordura strap...

wtma likes this.

Thread Information