Stretchproofing a Nato/Zulu

Thread: Stretchproofing a Nato/Zulu

Stretchproofing a Nato/Zulu

So I like NATO straps. My only problem with them is that the holes stretch and they stop fitting perfectly. Sure they're cheap to replace, but I would be just as happy spending $20 on something else, like a different color strap :D

So to prolong the life of the strap, I came up with a little something:

Materials:
    Nato/Zulu strap
    Scrap of thin leather
    E-6000 (preferably with the narrow nozzle)

Put the strap on, see what hole you're going to use, and then cut a narrow strip of leather that will cover that hole and the holes next to it (just in case). Use the strap as a template and use a ballpoint pen to mark where your holes are going to be in the leather, then use whatever punch you want to make the holes. Glue the piece to the inside of the strap, using a pin or something to check hole alignment.

Ideally, your leather piece will be as wide as possible for maximum adhesion surface. You could probably back it up with some stitching, too. But E-6000 is pretty strong stuff.

Maybe the leather isn't all that water-resistant, but if you don't really get your watches wet, and just like the look of the nylon straps, this will keep them fitting snug for a long time.

Maybe a thin piece of silicon rubber from a pot holder or something for a waterproof version?

Re: Stretchproofing a Nato/Zulu

Good idea!

Squishy....you are a genius..............you could be the next "Bill Gates" of watchdom................and we could say, "we knew him when"........

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Good idea.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

How about using a grommet for the one or two holes you use most? Any good hobby store would have them.
    Current favorites:
    Squale Y1545 20 ATMOS Militaire (Original) Ser. No. 0001; Sturmanskie Open Space 24Hr Ser. No. 199/250; Glycine Airman 17; Seiko Prospex PADI SRPA21;
    AirNautic Early Bird 24hr #20; Bathys Black Aquaculture; Citizen Eco-Zilla SS; Corvus Bradley #44; Hamilton Field Mechanical 44mm;
    Luminox 8202; OCEAN7 LM-1LE 41/150; LM-3V2B #26; LM-7 #7; Seiko SKX007K2; Squale 50 ATMOS; + about 25 more
    Incoming: NADA

I've been trying for some time to develop a lifestyle that doesn't require my presence.- Garry Trudeau
    Time has little to do with infinity and jelly donuts. - Lt. "Mac" McReynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Guido Muldoon View Post
    How about using a grommet for the one or two holes you use most? Any good hobby store would have them.
    I guess that would work, but I kinda worry about the grommet eventually stretching a bigger hole, especially if I don't hammer the grommet down hard enough in the first place I like the leather because it distributes the load over a broader area, and it has a little give to sort of cushion the tang, which is really small and wimpy on this strap.

It's also invisible once the strap is fastened

I also didn't have any grommets handy, but I did have a lot of scrap leather and E-6000.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido Muldoon View Post
    Ive tried the little eyelettes on a couple of Rhinos I have , biggest problem is they are circular and with the wearing pattern of any strap the hole over time becomes elongated (Natural fit =GOOD flush) but the eyeletts makes the tang sit up some what, for a slightly less than normal seating position, the leather piece might allow it to sit in its own indent once created?? .

The eyelettes/grommets do however work pretty well on the NATO's, as they are considerably thinner.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Thread Information