Structural Integrity of different strap types
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Structural Integrity of different strap types

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Structural Integrity of different strap types

This may seem like an odd question, but I'm just curious as to which type of strap, metal bracelet/leather, or any other would offer the safest hold for your expensive watches.

I've heard horror stories of spring bars just suddenly become loose and that scares me a great deal for any watch I'm going to be purchasing that exceeds the $1000 mark.

Would you have to baby a particular watch more if it's on one strap or another?

What's generally the safest to go? It seems most higher end brands such as Rolex and Omega go for metal bracelets. Is this merely aesthetic, or is there something to it? But I know some Pateks that come in leather straps as well.

Just wondering what are your thoughts on the subject.

Re: Structural Integrity of different strap types

I prefer expansion bands.

Spring bars don't just suddenly come loose if they are installed properly to begin with. The horror stories usually involve something dumb like using a strap or bracelet too small for the lugs. Or using spring bars with a nato strap.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    Spring bars don't just suddenly come loose if they are installed properly to begin with. The horror stories usually involve something dumb like using a strap or bracelet too small for the lugs. Or using spring bars with a nato strap.
    Question, you should uses a NATO strap with a spring bar? Didn't know this please help understanding and give a solution. Genuinely interested. Thanks. John MS.

Sent from my Robin using Tapatalk

If you use a Nato with a spring bar you have to be very careful because the strap can move the bar and cause it to fall out. Many horror stories about that happening. I would not use a Nato with spring bars.
    Last edited by John MS; August 8th, 2016 at 01:41.

Wouldn't you need both spring bars to come loose for a watch to fall off a NATO strap, though?

I'd say NATO straps are the safest for that reason... though likely the least appropriate aesthetically for a genuinely high end watch! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I mostly prefer steel bracelets, but the only time a watch fell off my wrist was due to a faulty bracelet. I was sitting at dinner with someone I was trying to hire, and my watch just fell onto the table, seemingly without provocation. One of the links (permanent... not even one of the removable ones!) simply fell apart.

This was a Shinola watch, incidentally, which later failed completely and went back for a refund. I've had significantly better luck with higher quality bracelets since.

Bracelet, leather strap, rubber - any two-piece strap will be fine 99.9% of the time as long as springbars are of good quality and right size. Proper bracelet\strap installation ensures that the risk of failure is miniscule.
    Low quality bracelets, straps or springbars are more prone to failure like any other inferior items. Same for wrong springbars (size, thickness, design) or poor installation - it's not the strap design that is at fault if it fails. (too many stories of people using thin springbars on Seiko Monster only to have them pop-out with ease)

As far as Nato\Perlon straps (single strap going under both springbars) - these put undue pressure on the springbars. So on one hand they offer extra safety - if one srpingbar fails, the other still keeps the watch connected. But on the other hand, they stretch and wiggle in such ways that dislodge or bend springbars. Hence it is recommended to use these w quality springbars (better still drilled lugs and long sringbars).
    Plus, if wearing a watch on Nato\Perlon - check springbars regularly for signs of wear or bending. (actually not a bad idea for all straps\bracelets)
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

Quote Originally Posted by EightEyes View Post
    Wouldn't you need both spring bars to come loose for a watch to fall off a NATO strap, though?

I'd say NATO straps are the safest for that reason... though likely the least appropriate aesthetically for a genuinely high end watch! :)

Having a watch suddenly flailing about while still attached by one spring bar risks a lot of cosmetic damage. Not to mention all the Nato straps I've seen look like they came from the bargain bin at the local dollar store. A black composite Casio strap looks better.
    Last edited by John MS; August 8th, 2016 at 18:35.

When I think of some of the ratty springbars I've used over the years it makes my blood run cold. Just make sure that the springbars are not only a proper fit for the watch but that they are in good order too. Remember, a couple of really top quality SBs won't cost you much.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information