struggling to mount strap to panerai?

Thread: struggling to mount strap to panerai?

struggling to mount strap to panerai?

Any one ever struggle to get strap mounted to their watch because strap is very thick? I know that panerai after market straps can get 5mm thick and hard to fit in between lugs and case! They looe lots of mobility to move back and forth with out rubbing harshly to back of case. Anyone have a solution? OR do u not move them around much?
    thanks

Re: struggling to mount strap to panerai?

Quote Originally Posted by 316L View Post
    Any one ever struggle to get strap mounted to their watch because strap is very thick? I know that panerai after market straps can get 5mm thick and hard to fit in between lugs and case! They looe lots of mobility to move back and forth with out rubbing harshly to back of case. Anyone have a solution? OR do u not move them around much?
    thanks
    I think this is one of those things that has caught alot of people out. One solution would be to look at one of the the aftermarket strap makers (like myself...) that can make a strap to suit. We would skiv the leather (thin it out) at the points were it joins the lugs & case. Even if the leathers used are 5mm or more it is easily done & more or less unoticeable.

A solution to the strap you are using would be to pull it apart & thin it out yourself. Without the right tools, it would be near impossible to do.

James.

Longines -- Panerai -- Steinhart

I have mounted straps up to 7mm thick on my PAM005 with no clearence problems. I don't think you will have any problems if the strap was made by someone who know's what they are doing.

The Ocean7 LM-6 is another story, nothing fits, including the Ocean7 straps. That is a watch design problem though, not a strap problem.

Best, Mike
    NAWCC Member

"All my possessions for a moment of time" - Queen Elizabeth I

Currently: Panerai, Omega, Rolex, Ball, Muhle Glashutte, Laco, Ocean7, Doxa, Bathys, and one or two others .

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

it all depends on how the strap maker trims the spring bar hole. i made straps that would fit into luminox quadrum and UTS watches which has a very tight distance between spring bar and case. anyway, here's a link
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=203143

best,
    Paul

As others have said, a good strap maker will thin the leather at the lugs to minimise the possiblity of this happening. Panerai normally aren't too much of an issue, but certainly there are some watches where clearance between case and spring bar / screw is very small (Anonimo for example).

If you're having a problem with the strap don't force it! Use a needle file to thin the strap at the lugs until it's thin enough to fit. Go gently and slowly to avoid damaging the strap and you'll be fine.

Good luck
    Rich

Banned

I've had this happen with a few of my aftermarket pam straps when I owned a pam. I just thinned out the inside tube portion of the strap with a thin file. Worked out fine. Just take your time and go slow.

Quote Originally Posted by sdwtchlvr View Post
    I've had this happen with a few of my aftermarket pam straps when I owned a pam. I just thinned out the inside tube portion of the strap with a thin file. Worked out fine. Just take your time and go slow.
    I've had the same problem with Marina Militare homages and thick, vintage style aftermarket Pan straps; the homages seem to have much less clearance than expected when compared to actual Panerais. I had no luck with the file approach, I had to remove several mm of these straps so took a dremel to it

It works, but I wouldn't go so far as to recommend it unless you have no choice.

Thread Information