There's a new strap in town!

Thread: There's a new strap in town!

There's a new strap in town!

Just finish my first strap and I'm quite pleased, so I'v decide to introduce myself more formally!

My is Laurent (or Luskar for forum basis). I've been working with leather as a hobby for couple years now, nothing fancy, mostly some accessories for me and some gift. Since about last year, I was thinking of doing some more serious stuff and try to sell on Etsy or some forums, I knew nothing of the watch underworld by then.

Around Christmas, my Tommy Hilfiger auto semi-skeleton die, so I've start shopping around. I already liked auto and mechanical watches and the idea of real nice watch was growing on me. With some budget remaining from another project, I've decided to look for a basic nice chrono , like a 7750 or 3133.

Then I discover the 'Straps & Bracelets' sub-forum and the wonderful world of custom made watch straps!!!

So I take a dive, I buy a lesser watch and take the rest of my money to equip myself with more pro-tools. I figure that if I could sold a couple of straps, I'll repaid my tools and maybe buy a really nice watch. Worst case, I'll have the tools to go back to my first ideas.

Last Wednesday, I was tired of fooling around with sketches and patterns for my first line, instead I've decided to break the ice with a more 'classic' model. Good call cause I've make a couple of noob's mistakes and cut sharp a couples of corners. The result is still there and I'm confidant for my next batch (with some originals ideas). Plus tonight during diner with my step-family, my step-brother like-it very much and ask me to do one for his ESQ!

Don't have photos for now, but they'll follow tomorow.

Thanks for reading!

Luskar

Re: There's a new strap in town!

Looking forward to the pictures.

OK, here's an album! I can't manage to put those directly here for now, will probably have to host them else where, but not tonight!

Edit: Found the problem (firewall blocking the NAS...). I won't put the whole thing in here, it's big, but at least a preview.

Name:  P2190054.JPG
Views: 328
Size:  89.3 KB

So this one is made from a thick kind off oily leather that I've got for a wile. I think it's from an old shoes manufacture. The dark brown mark easily, but come back as easily with a good robbing, it adds a nice vintage look at the strap. The lining is elkskin, with 'naturel' tread. As I say earlier, it's not perfect, couple of rookie mistakes, but it quite nice to wear.

For the complete set:

https://plus.google.com/photos/110400301871033761471/albums/5711051604289610193

Thanks for looking!

Luskar
    Last edited by Luskar; February 20th, 2012 at 20:10.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Laurent, Thats a beautiful job!!I goes very well with the Ticino. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Nice work. I like the stitching details. Where did you obtain the leather?
    Dan

SAS SEA-01 #61/100...Steinhart Triton 30 atm...Steinhart Apollon...
    Oris TT1 Diver-Date...Victorinox Airboss Mach 4...Victorinox Dive Master 500...
    Citizen Orca, Nighthawk, Skyhawk...
    Etc...

Thanks guys!

The leather, if I remember correctly, came from some kind of overstock store next to a shoe factory. It's been a while, maybe 7-8 years ago, I did a few book-covers and CD case with-it, but I still got a couple of sq-feet left.

TGE

That looks great. You say there are some rookie mistakes but your eye is always the most critical of your own work. Wear it with pride!
    Regards,
    Tim

"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes the finals." - The Stranger

That's fantastic. Very nice work. So when do you open your strap store?

Thread Information