Thin Waterproof Straps Besides Nylon

Thread: Thin Waterproof Straps Besides Nylon

Thin Waterproof Straps Besides Nylon

I just purchased my almost grail watch - the Zeitwerk is in the works eventually - a JLC Geophysic 1958 in stainless. The watch was designed to take a beating but comes on a black alligator which JLC usually sources from Camille Fournet. It is a fairly small watch at 38.5 and 19 mm lug width and the strap I guess to be 2mm thick. I would love to put this on more casual shoes especially something waterproof/water-resistant as it is rated at 10 atm. I am not a big fan of nylon NATOS so would love something in "waterproof" leather. However most of the waterproof leather seems to be 5 mm thick and 20 mm wide so I can't see this working out. Can anyone recommend thin waterproof leather strap or leather NATO? What about Chromexcel, I have never seen it but it sounds like an option? Any input greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Davido22; February 4th, 2015 at 04:46.

Re: Thin Waterproof Straps Besides Nylon

I think you should be looking at synthetic materials or rubber. Most waterproof leather, at least the ones I've seen, look pretty cheap and plastic-y. Chromexcel leather is definitely not waterproof.

^^^^^

Agree.

Di Modell makes some nice water resistant straps but they are padded.

Have you looked at a Hirsch Robby as an alternative, for one suggestion?
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I also bought the 1958 and had all the same issues as your self so after searching strap suppliers the below pics show how I went .... I bought tag style clasp and a few straps to switch and change depending on mood and weather ...... Like you I wasn't impressed as of yet with any nylon or resin but I have always love the quick release leather clasp , and yea they ain't waterproof but they only cost a fraction of what jaeger will charge for replacement leather strap ... Anyway just my six pence worth Andes it is my first time here I hope the post all goes to plan and thx for your time .

I just purchased my almost grail watch - the Zeitwerk is in the works eventually - a JLC Geophysic 1958 in stainless. The watch was designed to take a beating but comes on a black alligator which JLC usually sources from Camille Fournet. It is a fairly small watch at 38.5 and 19 mm lug width and the strap I guess to be 2mm thick. I would love to put this on more casual shoes especially something waterproof/water-resistant as it is rated at 10 atm. I am not a big fan of nylon NATOS so would love something in "waterproof" leather. However most of the waterproof leather seems to be 5 mm thick and 20 mm wide so I can't see this working out. Can anyone recommend thin waterproof leather strap or leather NATO? What about Chromexcel, I have never seen it but it sounds like an option? Any input greatly appreciated.
    [/QUOTE]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Pott9; April 24th, 2015 at 19:44.

Thread Information