Thoughts/Alternatives to Hodinkee Shell Cordovan Watch Strap for Tudor Heritage Ranger
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By dhtjr

Thread: Thoughts/Alternatives to Hodinkee Shell Cordovan Watch Strap for Tudor Heritage Ranger

Thoughts/Alternatives to Hodinkee Shell Cordovan Watch Strap for Tudor Heritage Ranger

Long time lurker, but recently acquired a Tudor Ranger that I am really loving. As much as I love the camo strap, I am looking for a strap to dress it up a bit and ran across the Hodinkee Lined Color #8 Shell Cordovan Watch Strap and thinking it might be perfect (can be found here: Lined Color #8 Shell Cordovan Watch Strap – HODINKEE Shop).
    Name:  SHELL-L-8-20-1_2048x2048.jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  153.4 KB

Sorry I tired to capture and image with that band on the Ranger but couldn't figure it out. Anyway, love the strap but don't love the price. I am familiar with shell cordovan so I know there is going to be some expense there but was wondering if anyone could recommend an alternative that looks as good but may be more reasonable. Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Thoughts/Alternatives to Hodinkee Shell Cordovan Watch Strap for Tudor Heritage Ranger

for my tangente I bought a nice brown leather strap from Hirsch. It was at least 50% of what Nomos charges for OEM cardovan strap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Re: Thoughts/Alternatives to Hodinkee Shell Cordovan Watch Strap for Tudor Heritage Ranger

There is a guy on Etsy called JonesinTokyo that has better prices and uses Horween shell; I've not ordered from him, so I can't speak to quality, but he gets good reviews. Myron at Rover Haven is also less expensive and uses Horween, but I think he takes summers off, so you would have to wait a while. I have one of his straps and it is terrific. Also do a search for Fluco shell cordovan; I think they use Horween on some and shells from Italy on others. I think you can find them on Chronoworld and Watchbandcenter. And Watchbandcenter also has some shell cordovan straps by Rios, but I don't recall if they use Horween, if that is important to you. There are a few other shell sources, like Comipel and Rocado in Italy, Clayton in UK, Shinki Hikaku in Japan, and Rocinante in Argentina. I just ordered a blue one-piece strap from Guarded Goods using Rocado shell, so it will be interesting to see how the quality stacks up against Horween. You may want to check that site, as I think he has some shells from a few different sources left. Finally, Worn & Wound sells some shell straps using Italian shell at about half the price, but they look a bit more rustic than the Hodinkee strap you posted, so not sure you'd like the style.

You will likely get better prices from any of the sources I mentioned. But shell cordovan does not come cheap, so I'm not sure the amount of savings will justify not getting the Hodinkee strap, which looks like excellent quality and uses Horween shell.
    Last edited by dhtjr; May 27th, 2016 at 04:31.
    Myron and atifch_84 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dhtjr View Post
    Also do a search for Fluco shell cordovan; I think they use Horween on some and shells from Italy on others.
    Holben's also has the Fluco dark brown padded Shell (it's Italian) strap. It is significantly less pricey than the Hodinkee strap, as you would expect.

Awesome, thanks for the tips/suggestions, much appreciated!

You can also look at the sticky at the top of this forum for a list of on line strap vendors you can review for ideas.

I would look at etsy.com as they have some great strap makers there that work in materials you are looking for.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Check out uhrban.com. Great price on she'll cordovan straps.

Thread Information