Uncle Seiko President and Strapcode Super Oyster for Seiko SKX 7S26-002X Case
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Uncle Seiko President and Strapcode Super Oyster for Seiko SKX 7S26-002X Case

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Uncle Seiko President and Strapcode Super Oyster for Seiko SKX 7S26-002X Case

Just last week, I saw an introductory offer on the Private Seller and Sponsors forum for Uncle Seiko’s new President (“USP”) bracelet for Seiko 7S26-002X case (SKX007 / SKX009 / SKXA35 / SKX173, et al.). After placing an order, the bracelet arrived 4 business days later…coast-to-coast. Here is a quick review and also a brief compare/contrast with a Miltat/Strapcode Super Oyster.

The bracelet was shipped in bubble pack envelope. It included bracelet, solid endlinks and set of spring bars.

Name:  IMG_1401.JPG
Views: 2740
Size:  717.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1402.JPG
Views: 2698
Size:  684.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1403.JPG
Views: 2722
Size:  713.6 KB

Here are the specs from Uncle Seiko’s posting:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f319/fs...l#post37616514

• Lug width to Buckle: 22mm / 18mm
    • Length (mm) : 180mm
    • Min.length after adjusted : 120mm
    • Buckle : Solid 316L Stainless Steel 20mm Double Flip-Lock Diver Clasp
    • Thickness (mm) : 4.0mm
    • Net Weight (gram) : 92gram
    • Finish: Brushed metal
    • Spring bar diameter: 2.5mm
    • Lug end style : Solid Curved End
    • Adjustment type : 7 removable links-- screw type adjustment
    • Material : 316L Stainless Steel, all solid links include end links
    • Designed to fit : Seiko Divers SKX007, 009, etc. Sizing links are connected via threaded screws

That is a fairly accurate description. However, my bracelet had eight (8) sizing links. Also, as the photos show, there are three (3) micro adjustment holes in the clasp which has a nice quality machined hinge, a step up over the usual stamped metal. The 2.5 spring bars are the double flanged type, greatly simplifying installing and removing on an SKX which does not have drill thru lugs.

Overall build quality seems excellent. Finishing is very good. The tops of the links are brushed with polished sides. Only quibble, prefer the flip over keeper on the clasp was a slightly heavier gauge but better than the average for after market 3rd party bracelet. Also, the edge felt just a bit sharp.

Name:  IMG_1419.JPG
Views: 2682
Size:  501.4 KB

Installation on the SKX009 was fairly straight forward. Working with solid end links usually require a little “jiggling” to get into place and these were no different. The fit between the lugs is fairly precise but had a minor bit of play between the curved link and the case body though not objectionable. Did not try to install on one of my other SKX so could just be typical variation of the watch case itself. On the positive side, this made installation a little easier than usual.

Name:  IMG_1414  cropped.jpg
Views: 2690
Size:  123.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1415  cropped.jpg
Views: 2679
Size:  57.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1417  cropped.jpg
Views: 2669
Size:  73.2 KB

Due to the screw type sizing links, adjustment was very easy. The screws on my bracelet as delivered were not very tight which made it simple to adjust but you will need to torque them slightly or use Loctite to set them properly. For my 7 ¼” wrist, I removed 3 links and used the innermost micro adjustment hole on the clasp(I like a snug fit). I would estimate the bracelet/SKX case combination should accommodate wrist sizes 6 – 8 ¼”.

Name:  IMG_1423.JPG
Views: 2672
Size:  526.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1424.JPG
Views: 2657
Size:  344.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1427.JPG
Views: 2657
Size:  520.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1429.JPG
Views: 2653
Size:  430.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1430.JPG
Views: 2644
Size:  408.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1431.JPG
Views: 2660
Size:  443.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1432.JPG
Views: 2644
Size:  351.2 KB

I also have a Miltat/Strapcode Super Oyster (“SSO”) on a SKX173. Although the bracelet styles are different, it is worthwhile to compare and contrast as many looking to upgrade/replace bracelets will also be considering Strapcode bracelets.

Build and finishing quality between the USP and SSO is very similar. Both exhibit a combination of evenly brushed and polished surfaces. Both use screw type adjustment links and the clasp appears to be the same (at least on my samples).

However, when we get to the solid end links, there are differences. Each winning and losing points to the other.

As mentioned previously, the end links of the USP had a minor amount of play, not between the lugs but between the curved surfaces of the end link and the side of the case. The SSO end link was machined slightly better and had a tighter more secure fit, enough so that it required more jiggling and patience to get it to finally slide into place. The SSO has a more solid fit with no discernible play on the SKX173. Saying that, these differences could be solely attributable to slight case variations between my SKX009 and SKX173. I didn’t go to the time and trouble of swapping the bracelets between the watches.

Regarding appearance, the USP end links win hands down. The USP end links matched the contours of the watch case and lugs much better, providing a smoother transition between the watch and bracelet. The SSO appears to be slightly recessed between the lugs and extends slightly beyond the lug tips. I recall reading a review of the SSO previously and these same anomalies were noted so it must be a “feature” of the Strapcode end links. One area where the SSO was better was under the lugs, more flush fitting than the USP which had a slight ridge underneath the lug. The latter is a minor quibble because you would never see this unless you removed the bracelet.

Uncle Seiko President

Name:  IMG_1433.JPG
Views: 2629
Size:  384.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_1451 cropped.jpg
Views: 2617
Size:  137.1 KB

Strapcode Super Oyster

Name:  IMG_1442  cropped.jpg
Views: 2636
Size:  177.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_1449 cropped.jpg
Views: 2615
Size:  101.6 KB

To wrap this up, I feel the Uncle Seiko President bracelet represents an excellent alternative to the Strapcode offerings. The choice comes down to style preference and price. For the SKX009, I prefer the President style. It has a little more “pop” that I think matches the SKX009 character. On the SKX173, I prefer the Super Oyster. The SKX173 is a bit less bold so I prefer the Super Oyster which is a more subdued look and does not overpower. Again, these are just personal preferences.

One final note, both the USP and SSO replaced the standard Seiko OEM Jubilee bracelet. Although the new bracelets are more substantial and, some would say, luxurious, I expect that on occasion, I will put the Jubilees back on. Many complain about the Jubilee being a ‘jangly’ bracelet (it is) but the design simply wraps around your wrist so comfortably that you forget it is there. And, the Jubilee on a SKX case strikes a chord within me as the quintessential classic Seiko diver. The sum is greater than the parts. It just works!

Hope you enjoyed the read!
    Last edited by MacInFL; January 22nd, 2017 at 02:59.

duc

Re: Uncle Seiko President and Strapcode Super Oyster for Seiko SKX 7S26-002X Case

Nice review, just ordered one.
    Uncleseiko likes this.

Re: Uncle Seiko President and Strapcode Super Oyster for Seiko SKX 7S26-002X Case

Looks almost OEM. Good choice and nice work.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Uncleseiko View Post
    Hey Mac, with such a thorough review, I am surprised you didn't mention the difference in end-link (integrated vs. separate). Which do you prefer?
    I love the look of your end-link better. The strap code end-link has a hump.
    Last edited by GodZji; January 26th, 2017 at 23:43.

Hey Mac, with such a thorough review, I am surprised you didn't mention the difference in end (integrated vs. separate). Which do you prefer?
    Between these two bracelets, it was sort of a push. I prefer the aesthetics of your President. It just looks nicer the way the center of the last bracelet link nestles between the lugs. It makes the watch and bracelet flow together in a smoother transition.

OTOH, I usually prefer the Strapcode approach, which allows the installation of the end link separated from the bracelet. There are some lug configurations and bracelet designs where it is easier to install the end links first and then attach the bracelet. Downside is you have another chunk of metal extending away from the watch case / lug tips which, IMO, looks clunky in comparison to the Uncle Seiko President. Also, I consider the presence of a screw pin at the lug tip an unnecessary visual distraction but with relatively recent trend back to drill thru lugs on divers, just another hole / pin at or near the lug tip.

I know this probably sounds like hair splitting but there is a part of me that does not like drill thru lugs. Yes, it definitely makes bracelet and strap changes simple but looks like cost cutting manufacturing and less "finished". If the watch manufacturers would just used flanged spring bars, problem solved.

Back to comparing the President and Strapcode, as stated previously, the Uncle Seiko President wins hands down in the visuals. And it occurs to me now, (I'm rather slow at times), the reason for your question is that I can see that the design of the President end links is more complex/difficult to machine. You are cutting in and then finishing many internal surfaces where the Strapcode is basically cutting away material and then polishing...much simpler. The President end links are a more fluid, elegant and contoured design. I "get it" now.

duc

Another happy camper. It took me about 15 minutes to fiddle one side in. The other was a snap. Like its been pointed out, it is probably more to do with the tolerances of the case than the end link. I like it a lot. I have the Strapcode Oyster (with the diver's extension) and the finishing on Uncle Seiko's is significantly better. There are a couple of edges, but nowhere near as many as the Strapcode. Now for the good part:

Name:  prez4.jpg
Views: 2472
Size:  967.2 KB

Name:  prez3.jpg
Views: 2474
Size:  827.6 KB
    MacInFL likes this.

@uncleseiko When will you have bracelet for the turtle back in stock?
    I need to try one now.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by GodZji View Post
    @uncleseiko When will you have bracelet for the turtle back in stock?
    I need to try one now.
    Should be the end of February.

Should be the end of February.
    Sound great. I'll order one as soon as it available. Have you considered to offer the super jubilee too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not at this time. I have a few projects in the works right now

Tapered H-link for the 6139 chronograph
    Beads of Rice for the 6309 and SKX
    Tropic Style strap in 19/20/22mm

Maybe in the future!
    You read my mine on tropic and bead of rice straps. I'll be broke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information