using a 20mm nylon/fabric strap with 19mm lug width?
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: using a 20mm nylon/fabric strap with 19mm lug width?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

using a 20mm nylon/fabric strap with 19mm lug width?

I've a 19mm lug-width watch that's just dying for a decent nato, camo, fabric strap, something colorful and nice that I don't get on leather. Obviously those are ridiculously hard to find in 19mm, and everyone says "squeeze a 20mm in there, it'll work", but I need to see this for real to be convinced.

Would anyone happen to have a photo of their 19mm watch with a 20mm strap fitted, that they can post here? That would really help my decision, to purchase or leave it...

Thanks!!!
    My Orient Blog at https://orientplace.blogspot.com/
    Other favorite brands: Citizen, Seiko, Jaquet Droz, Frederique Constant, and more!

Re: using a 20mm nylon/fabric strap with 19mm lug width?

Did you try watchbandcenter.com? They carry a nice selection of uneven sized straps?

Otherwise, it is easy to put a 20mm strap on 19mm lugs, and if you go something in a fabric/canvas/nato/etc, you will have the pliability of the strap to make it fit well.

We are only talking about a 1mm variance.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    Did you try watchbandcenter.com? They carry a nice selection of uneven sized straps?

Otherwise, it is easy to put a 20mm strap on 19mm lugs, and if you go something in a fabric/canvas/nato/etc, you will have the pliability of the strap to make it fit well.

We are only talking about a 1mm variance.
    yup, tried them, plenty of leather (which I have of my own) - nothing in the nato or otherwise colorful department.

I might just try a cheap 20mm strap just to see how it works - thing is, the watch is currently on bracelet with tight end link which is difficult to remove, which means a trip to the watch store...

BTW I'm guessing to squeeze 20 mm would be easier with a 2-piece strap, right? I imagine it's less of a squeeze than pushing the whole strap (e.g. 1-piece NATO) through.
    My Orient Blog at https://orientplace.blogspot.com/
    Other favorite brands: Citizen, Seiko, Jaquet Droz, Frederique Constant, and more!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes, it would be easier to squeeze a NATO on rather than the two piece as the two piece has more structure at the lugs. Another option could be to put it on an 18mm NATO, but that may look a little undersized.
    Eran likes this.

It's easier to slide the NATO or perlon through. With a 2 piece, you have to compress a bit, and the loop in the material is going to be stiffer than a single layer, as a rule.

Also, with a 2 piece, you need to compress the material when you want to take it back off, to get at the spring bar. That can be tricky. Not needed with a NATO.
    Eran likes this.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

My Seiko 6139 Pogue has 19mm lugs and I just use 20mm straps. The "squeeze" is very marginal, even with leather straps (as long as they're not too thick). It's virtually unnoticeable on NATOs.
    Eran likes this.

We carry 19mm nylon straps in our store. Otherwise, you shouldn't have any issues fitting 20mm straps. My only advice would be if you try a 20mm leather one-piece strap, don't "pull it through" the spring bars or you'll probably scrape up the leather. Remove the spring bars before installing.
    blakerad, calebk, Eran and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CrownAndBuckle View Post
    We carry 19mm nylon straps in our store. Otherwise, you shouldn't have any issues fitting 20mm straps. My only advice would be if you try a 20mm leather one-piece strap, don't "pull it through" the spring bars or you'll probably scrape up the leather. Remove the spring bars before installing.
    This brings up a side point.

The gap between the spring bar and the case can be rather narrow. If your one piece or NATO won't slide through easily, installing the spring bars after positioning the watch head can work.
    Eran and calebk like this.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Yes, that advice can definitely apply to nylon or any other one piece straps as well.

I'd go nato and would suggest 20 over an 18 - never like to see the spring bars peaking out

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information