Vanilla?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Vanilla?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vanilla?

Hello all.

I just acquired a Marathon LGP on a Marathon rubber strap. I am growing quite fond of this watch, however the strap is scented of vanilla.

I've since learned that other manufacturers do this also.

Who's idea was this, and why? It's very distracting and honestly I don't care for the scent of vanilla.

Re: Vanilla?

Whose idea? I don't know.

Why? To cover up what rubber usually smells like. Generally, people prefer "vanilla" over "tire".
    crew likes this.
    All Stainless, (almost) All The Time

TEAM SWITZERLAND: TAG Heuer Aquaracer WAF1113.BA0801, Rolex Oysterdate 6694, ESQ Filmore 07300964

TEAM JAPAN: Seiko SKX007K2, Seiko SBDC003, Seiko SGF204, Casio Edifice EF-503, Casio G-Shock DW5600E, Casio G-Shock AWGM100B, Casio G-Shock GW6900

TEAM GERMANY: Laco Valencia, Graf Zeppelin 7686-2

TEAM CHINA: sterile Radiomir, MM Luminor

Vanilla smells better than rubber.
    Gordon Fraser likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My 4 year old son loves it. I have 3 isofrane straps and one Helson "sharkfin" strap that are all scented.
    He calls them my "cookie watches" becasue he loves the way they smell.

The other day I had my arm around my wife and she kept smelling me, so I asked what she was doing.
    She said she smelled something really good and couldn't find it, so I presented my wrist.
    She was baffled that my watched smelled of vanilla, I couldn't explain why either other than vanilla smells better than rubber.

If you don't like it, not to worry, the scent fades over time.
    Armida A8 Brass / Benarus Vintage Moray 44 / Borealis Oceanaut / Bulova Lunar Pilot Chronograph / Citizen EcoZilla BJ8050-08E / Citizen Eco-Drive AT0524-54A / Deep Blue BlueTech Abyss 500 / Deep Blue Nato Diver 300 / Doxa SUB 1200t Professional / G-Shock GWN-1000-1B / G-Shock GW-7900B-1JF / Helberg CH6 Bronze / Helm Vanuatu / Helson Shark Diver 45 Brass / Hexa F74 / Karlskrona Baltic Shield / Lum-Tec M68 / Magrette Vantage Bronze / Makara Sea Turtle Hawksbill / Makara Octopus Bronze / Maranez Rawai Brass / Maratac SR1 / Pathfinder PAG40-5V / Redux Courg / River Tiber Sport / Seiko SUN023 / Seiko SRPA21 / Seiko SPR775 / Seiko SRP311 "Orange Monster" / Seiko SRP455K1 "100th Anniversary Blue Monster" / Seiko Yobokies "Snow Monster" / Seiko SKX779 "Black Monster" / Seiko SKX781 "Orange Monster" / Seiko SKX009 / Tmex Expedition T498759J / Undone Aqua / Undone Urban

I believe it was Hublot that introduced scented rubber straps in the early 1980's because most people don't like the rubber smell.
    The smell will wear off considerably in just a few weeks time and you can wash the strap to speed up the process.

EHV

I have rubber straps that are 4+ years old and they still smell strongly of vanilla.

OP, note that the strap on your Marathon is a Bonetto Cinturini and all of their current straps are vanilla scented. Isofrane straps are too and they are likely made by BC.

PTG

Quote Originally Posted by EHV View Post
    I have rubber straps that are 4+ years old and they still smell strongly of vanilla.

OP, note that the strap on your Marathon is a Bonetto Cinturini and all of their current straps are vanilla scented. Isofrane straps are too and they are likely made by BC.
    Yep. My Isofrane is 3 or more years old and still smells like vanilla. I like the smell.

Not all rubber straps are equally scented. I.e.- the original straps from Benarus have a sweet smell close to hawaian tropic sunscreen lotion. I also have a few genuine rubbers that have the smell of a freshly opened box of bandaids! Some of the straps hold their scent much longer than others. My experience with Victorinox and a few others is such that they have less or no scent after a few months wear. On the other hand, the ones from Deep Blue are still quite strong. I' m not bothered by any of the scents.

I'm getting used to the smell. I have several Breitling natural rubber straps an none of them smells like vanilla or rubber.

I recently purchased my first Marathon watch and the vanilla scent is very strong... I like it so far.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information