• 1 Post By Nokie
  • 1 Post By Ziczacleather
  • 2 Post By Nordlys
  • 1 Post By Roningrad
  • 1 Post By NC_Hager626

Thread: Visit to ZICZAC Leather Workshop in Saigon, Vietnam and Strap Review

Visit to ZICZAC Leather Workshop in Saigon, Vietnam and Strap Review

Hi All,
    Wanted to write a quick review/field report of my favorite strap vendor, Cang at ZICZAC Leather. My wife and I are back in Vietnam visiting her family, so I had the opportunity to visit ZICZAC's shop in Saigon yesterday to pick up my most recent order in person.

Some of you may already be familiar with ZICZAC's straps, but if not, they're a leather shop in Vietnam making hand-stitched, custom watch straps in a variety of leathers for much less than you average, run of the mill factory-made strap would cost from the big brands.

I've ordered from Cang before and had the straps shipped to me (which takes 3-5 weeks on average). I've always been blown away by the quality of his shop's work. They get everything right down to the very last minute detail, and are able to make just about anything you can dream up. Want a classic black croc leather strap with contrasting stitching? They'll make it in whatever length and leather finish (matte/semi-gloss/shiny/etc) you desire. Want something crazy like a shiny silver python strap with neon yellow stitching and neon yellow calf leather lining? Well, if you actually want to wear something like that, they would be happy to make it for you as well. And if you're not satisfied with your strap for some reason, they'll be sure to make it right. The stitching on their straps and overall leather quality is better than anything I've seen in the sub-$200 category. Far and away better than anything from B&R and Hirsch, which were the primary brands I ordered from prior to ZicZac.

It was a great experience to see the shop in person and take a peek behind the scenes at their workstation. Below are a few pictures of the shop and some examples of their straps. I'll continue to order from them in the future, and would highly recommend them to the WUS community.

Here's the storefront. They're located in Tan Binh district, pretty close to the Saigon city center and about a 30 minute motorbike ride from my wife's family's house:
    Name:  IMG_20191228_161206460.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  3.81 MB

Here's some leather ready to be made into straps/wallets/bags/etc. The bottom rolls are French Epsom leather in every color of the rainbow, while the top rolls are Croc back/tail.
    Name:  IMG_20191228_160550050.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  2.59 MB

Here's the workstation where all of the measuring, cutting, stitching, and punching is carried out by hand:
    Name:  IMG_20191228_160758334.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  4.08 MB

Their current stock display case. These straps are listed on their website, but they can make anything you want via custom order in a week or two if you can't find something in the size/color you want in their current stock.
    Name:  IMG_20191228_160545741.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  4.64 MB

Croc straps in a variety of colors. Not much of a croc person myself, but their prices are among the best I've seen for genuine croc:
    Name:  IMG_20191228_160555624.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  1.46 MB

Nice ostrich leg straps. I have one of their ostrich leg straps from a prior order and can attest to it being one of the most durable leathers I've ever owned:
    Name:  IMG_20191228_160621507.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  1.37 MB

And the straps from my most recent order that I just picked up: Epsom leather in brown, black, and navy blue with matching stitching on each. Cut to 110/70mm to fit my tiny 6.5-6.75" wrists and with water-resistant leather linings. Have yet to put them on my watches (these 18/16mm straps are for my vintage Seikos, which stayed at home for this trip), but if these are anything like my other straps for Ziczac, I'm sure they'll be very comfortable and long-lasting.
    Name:  IMG_20191229_143658955_HDR.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  2.47 MB
    Name:  IMG_20191229_143612866.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  3.59 MB
    Name:  IMG_20191229_143628864.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  1.41 MB

If you're looking for a reasonably-priced custom strap that punches way above its price point, look no further than Ziczac. While the shipping can take a while if you're ordering from abroad, the quality is absolutely worth the wait.
    Last edited by Nordlys; December 29th, 2019 at 09:06.
    Daily Wearers
    Orient Star WZ0021AC | G-Shock G-5600E-1JF

King Seikos
    1973 4502-7001 | 1973 5245-6000 | 2000 SCVN001

Re: Visit to ZICZAC Leather Workshop in Saigon, Vietnam and Strap Review

Hey mate, thanks for this!
    Always good to put a ‘face’ to the name :)
    Been wanting to order from them for a while.
    Well, 2020 being around the corner sounds like a very good reason to me ;)
    Cheers!
    Nordlys likes this.

lvt

Thanks for sharing, glad to see that some handmade items can be had at affordable prices.
    Nordlys likes this.
    Ball - Casio / G-shock - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Seiko - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Excellent review and pictures.

Very interesting.

Thanks for posting.
    Nordlys likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

@Nordlys thank you so much for your review and support for our works
    Nordlys likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by paulvillo View Post
    Hey mate, thanks for this!
    Always good to put a ‘face’ to the name :)
    Been wanting to order from them for a while.
    Well, 2020 being around the corner sounds like a very good reason to me ;)
    Cheers!
    Yep, I agree. I always enjoy reading articles about visits to manufacturers, as it gives more of a personal connection to the product. That's why I wanted to share this review, as seeing the storefront and workshop from a customer's perspective gives a more intimate connection than simply seeing a manufacturer's website with product listings.

And yes, the new year sounds like the perfect excuse to order a new strap.

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    Thanks for sharing, glad to see that some handmade items can be had at affordable prices.
    You're welcome! I'm personally never going back to "off-the-rack" straps. It's custom or bust for me. Over the years I've figures out that I like non-padded, 2.5mm thick straps with a length of 110/70mm and with matching stitching, and for straps with varying patterns (like croc or Ostrich leg) I also have a particular preference for the patterns. Once you've established your own particular tastes in straps, it's maddening to try and find something from a big manufacturer that fits exactly what you want down to the last detail. On "off the rack" straps, there's typically always one detail that I would want to change to make it perfect. For example, I may find a strap with the perfect color, stitching pattern, and thickness, but it will only be offered in 120/80mm length. Or I'll find a strap with the perfect length but it's only offered with contrasting stitching or with a pattern I'm not particularly fond of.

With custom, I can tell Cang exactly what I want and he'll deliver it to me, all for about the same price (or cheaper depending on the leather) than a generic strap from Hirsch. And if it's a leather that has varying patterns across the hide (like croc or ostrich leg), then I can tell him whether I want small or large scales and he'll pick a section of the hide to fit my preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    Excellent review and pictures.

Very interesting.

Thanks for posting.
    No problem, glad you enjoyed the review!

Quote Originally Posted by Cang1989 View Post
    @Nordlys thank you so much for your review and support for our works
    Of course. Keep up the great work Cang! It was a pleasure seeing your shop in person.
    lvt and paulvillo like this.
    Daily Wearers
    Orient Star WZ0021AC | G-Shock G-5600E-1JF

King Seikos
    1973 4502-7001 | 1973 5245-6000 | 2000 SCVN001

Thanks for sharing. Great info.!
    Nordlys likes this.
    "Meliora Eligo."

A great review and pics. Thanks for taking the time to share your trip to the Ziczac facility.
    Nordlys likes this.

Thread Information