The Watch Steward Straps - New MN Straps???
Like Tree300Likes

Thread: The Watch Steward Straps - New MN Straps???

Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

The Watch Steward Straps - New MN Straps???

I just stumbled upon the Watch Steward straps on IG https://www.instagram.com/thewatchsteward/
    They look similar to Erikas MN strap material (elastic nylon) and they are $25 each!!!
    I have 3 of Erika's straps and they are amazing but expensive.
    About time that she is getting some competition, hopefully it forces her to drop the price down some.
    The straps are available in 22mm only (for now hopefully).
    All my watches are 20mm so I will be following the brand and hopefully they get 20mm soon.
    Here is the site The Watch Steward - Home
    I am in no way associated with the site or seller.
    Some pics from their site:

Name:  all-strap-colors_orig.jpg
Views: 1863
Size:  330.2 KB

Name:  blue-colors-1_orig.jpg
Views: 1854
Size:  234.9 KB

Name:  brown-colors-1_orig.jpg
Views: 1845
Size:  240.1 KB

Name:  oh-sandy-3_orig.jpg
Views: 1810
Size:  234.0 KB

Name:  steal-blue-3_orig.jpg
Views: 1832
Size:  252.6 KB

Name:  van-dyke-brown-3_orig.jpg
Views: 1806
Size:  236.9 KB
    Last edited by DuckaDiesel; August 9th, 2018 at 01:26.

Re: The Watch Steward Straps - New MN Straps???

Looks promising. I think I would like them a bit more without the writing on the buckle or maybe just a bit smaller.
    Rolex Submariner 14060
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Hamilton Intra-Matic
    Fortis Cosmonaut A.M.
    Zenith El Primero Charles Vermot LE
    Bulova Moon Watch
    Seiko SKX007

Thanks for the heads up!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I can’t find the website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wonder about intellectual property here. I thought I read that Erika patented her design, but I could be wrong....

Actually, after typing that, I looked more closely. This design is quite different (inferior IMHO) as it is not a continuous loop like Erika's. Instead, they are more like a nato strap with an Erika's-style clasp. It more of a mash-up than a MN strap. Not bad for the price, perhaps. But I will stick with the Original.
    ZIPPER79 and chosenhandle like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tohono Rat View Post
    Actually, after typing that, I looked more closely. This design is quite different (inferior IMHO) as it is not a continuous loop like Erika's. Instead, they are more like a nato strap with an Erika's-style clasp. It more of a mash-up than a MN strap. Not bad for the price, perhaps. But I will stick with the Original.
    Design looks very similar to me. I don't think it's NATO-like in that there's no doubling-up of material under the watch head. The slider hardware pictured simply appears to be how you shorten/lengthen the strap. Am I missing something?

IMO, the Erika's straps are overpriced so I think I'm gonna give one of these a try. Seems well suited to my SRP777.
    Last edited by LosAngelesTimer; August 9th, 2018 at 02:03.
    MarkND and BrianMcKay like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LosAngelesTimer View Post
    Design looks very similar to me. I don't think it's NATO-like in that there's no doubling-up of material under the watch head. The slider hardware pictured simply appears to be how you shorten/lengthen the strap. Am I missing something?
    Yes, they look similar. But functionally, the EO is one continuous loop whose fit only is adjusted by the hardware. This mirrors (and improved on) the original Marine Nationale straps which were a sewn loop. This design is particularly secure in that even with a (albeit very rare) clasp failure it stay on the wrist.

The Watch Steward strap is a flat/open strap (i.e., not a loop) that is both adjusted and closed by the hardware. It is this difference that makes EO a MN-type strap, and these something else – a mashup of the MN and the nato.

In no way am I trashing these (as I have never tried them). But objectively, while they use the same type of material as EO MN straps, they are a fundamentally different design.

If interested, see what I mean by the "continuous loop" in this video:
    WatchDialOrange and ZIPPER79 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tohono Rat View Post
    Yes, they look similar. But functionally, the EO is one continuous loop whose fit only is adjusted by the hardware. This mirrors (and improved on) the original Marine Nationale straps which were a sewn loop. This design is particularly secure in that even with a (albeit very rare) clasp failure it stay on the wrist.

The Watch Steward strap is a flat/open strap (i.e., not a loop) that is both adjusted and closed by the hardware. It is this difference that makes EO a MN-type strap, and these something else – a mashup of the MN and the nato.

In no way am I trashing these (as I have never tried them). But objectively, while they use the same type of material as EO MN straps, they are a fundamentally different design.

If interested, see what I mean by the "continuous loop" in this video:
    What are you basing that on? The first picture posted here? I dont think it's very clear either way, but they certainly look to work the same way as the MN straps to me.

Edit: I looked at the site more and its pretty amazing that they don't have any pics on the wrist. It looks almost like a two piece NATO in that it doesn't go under the watch head at all, but connects to the spring bars. Still seems really strange to me that they would only stay closed by that metal hook type thing. Doesn't seem very secure at all.
    Last edited by TDKFM; August 9th, 2018 at 06:41.

I'd watch the video to clarify but I’m not the biggest fan of that channel.
    Last edited by LosAngelesTimer; August 9th, 2018 at 06:57.

Quote Originally Posted by TDKFM View Post
    What are you basing that on? The first picture posted here? I dont think it's very clear either way, but they certainly look to work the same way as the MN straps to me.

Edit: I looked at the site more and its pretty amazing that they don't have any pics on the wrist. It looks almost like a two piece NATO in that it doesn't go under the watch head at all, but connects to the spring bars. Still seems really strange to me that they would only stay closed by that metal hook type thing. Doesn't seem very secure at all.
    To me, this picture (from their web site) makes it clear that the "hook" is, indeed, all that closes the strap:

Name:  s424574569608439584_p7_i5_w640.jpeg
Views: 1766
Size:  266.6 KB

But I am happy to be corrected.
    BrianMcKay likes this.

Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information