Watch strap being scratched by watch

Thread: Watch strap being scratched by watch

Watch strap being scratched by watch

First time posting here so forgive me if this is in the wrong section. I recently purchased a watch strap for my Citizen and it seems that the watch itself is scratching the strap and causing it to wear extremely fast. Is there anything i can do about this? Is it because of the thickness of the strap? Thanks for any information.

Re: Watch strap being scratched by watch

Hi RByers91, you r right, its because of the thickness.
    in my opinion, nothing you can do to fix that problem, its just the way it should be.
    Your strap will be slowly look vintage, if you dont like the vintage look, you can always change it anytime.

I've heard of people who have had great success with this issue by employing curved spring bars. Worth shot I say

Edit: Pictures ways help

So you get one of these (top one of course):

Which will look something like this on ur watch:

And result in ur strap being pulled ever so slightly away from the watch case like this:

Might just give you sufficient clearance

The Naf
    Last edited by The Naf; March 14th, 2014 at 15:47.
    One watch kinda guy
    "My watch does a lot more than just tell the time...
    it tells a life story..."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi, Like said above the leather around the bar is too thick. There might be one thing you could try. I have done it for customers with simillar issue. Take a piece of wire, awl in my case, heat it up and insert into the strap where the bars would go. That should burn some of the inside and reduce the thickness. The hole will be bigger than necessary but also the leather would be thinned down. Yes, its a carefull job and I cannot guaratee the outcome without seeing the strap but if you feel comfortable to try it that could help.

Mat

All good suggestions, and yes the only way to correct this is to change the spring bar trajectory, or thin out the leather band.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

I agree with The Naf here. I've had this same problem with a few of my watches, so I got this from Amazon for $10 (Bracelet Curving Forming Spring Bar Watch Pin Bending Nylon Tip Jaw Plier Tool - Amazon.com) and an assortment of ~300 spare springbars off of eBay for $3.

Depending on the lug width of the watch, going up by 1 to 2 mm usually does the trick (ie a 21mm curved springbar usually works on watches with a 20mm lug width, whereas a 26mm curved springbar is what's usually needed for a watch with a 24mm lug width). This has enabled me to use any of my thicker leather straps or thicker leather NATO straps on pretty much any of my watches without them getting marred. It's the best $13 that I've spent in this hobby

Thread Information