Water-resistant leather (story/question)
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Nokie
  • 1 Post By Nokie

Thread: Water-resistant leather (story/question)

Water-resistant leather (story/question)

When I was a young teenager I bought one of my first watches. It was a Timex on a leather strap. It wasn't really sport watch but I used it all during that summer for outdoor activities. It was almost a dress watch like the Easy Reader, with the same kind of black leather strap. I didn't really know about sport watches then. I didn't take it into the water but I would ride my bicycle and things like that. I wouldn't think of using the same kind of watch for that today unless I put it on a nylon strap first. Anyway, I wanted to keep the watch clean so first I treated it almost every day with mink oil. Then I would leave it in a glass of water hopefully to "clean" it. It worked fine. I did this near the end of the summer for a few weeks. The strap seemed to keep up fine. I was impressed.

Then the school year started and I had put that watch down on a desk. I can't remember why but I might have started wearing a digital. Anyway, a few weeks later I decided to wear the Timex. When I picked it up the leather had been completely rotted out. It was almost like I picked up the watch and the band remained on a desk as a pile of black dust (in the shape of a band).

QUESTION: How do they make water resistant leather now? Is it a different type of leather? They are my favorite kind of band. The expedition band sold by Timex is obviously the main kind. But I also have a black one that seems more like the softer leather of a regular dressier watch band. I don't understand how there can be such a difference. I wear the black one in the shower and it shows no signs of wear. I can't find any information about WR leather, but I've heard that some sneaker use them and can even be put into a washing machine.
    ShockMister

Re: Water-resistant leather (story/question)

The Hirsch Robby and Performance series are both water resistant bands for other examples.

Most use a combination of treated leather, synthetic materials, top coatings, and some rubber components to various degrees to keep them water resistant.
    ShockMister likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    The Hirsch Robby and Performance series are both water resistant bands for other examples.

Most use a combination of treated leather, synthetic materials, top coatings, and some rubber components to various degrees to keep them water resistant.
    I wonder what they are treated with. I think all those methods are pretty cool though.
    ShockMister

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Some are just industry standard methods for leather treatment, others are proprietary.

Bottom line is that as long as it can remain water resistant, it will be a good strap.
    ShockMister likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Thread Information