Waterproof like NATO but not smelly?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Sasropakis
  • 1 Post By duc
  • 1 Post By Carl.1

Thread: Waterproof like NATO but not smelly?

Waterproof like NATO but not smelly?

Hi all, I've been pairing my JLC Polaris with a NATO strap from Crown and Buckle, but recently it's started to smell (and fray, but that's by the by).

Is there something like NATO, which is casual and dresses down the watch, waterproof and low maintenance, but doesn't smell after a while?

I don't want to go back to the OEM rubber strap because that's a bit too 'formal' looking.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Re: Waterproof like NATO but not smelly?

Maybe a perlon strap for example by Eulit unless it's too formal although you can get some funky colours by other manufacturers. I haven't noticed any smell with perlon straps. As for Natos you can just wash them if they start to smell. You can put them into a washing machine in a small pouch (or a sock) to protect the machine from the metal hardware.
    gmads likes this.

Attach your strap to the belt loop of a pair of jeans or chinos and wash it in the clothes washer. Don't put it in the dryer, let it dry laid flat on a flat surface.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

duc

Give Alex a try. I've made a couple of purchases from him (NATOs with second flap deleted, sized for my wrist). He's a great guy.

https://www.yellowdogwatchstraps.com/about
    stolen-gmt-master likes this.

Wash it regularly and it will not smell. Clean folk do not have smelly straps!
    stolen-gmt-master likes this.
    If I fail to reply to your inane post just assume you are on the ignore list.

I bought a knackered clock.... https://carlsclock.blogspot.com/ Updated 29/4/19

Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    Wash it regularly and it will not smell.
    Sound like a solution to me.
    "When a man flatters you, it is almost certain that he means to take your business, pick your pocket, or sleep with your wife." -- William Bonner & Addison Wiggin, THE NEW EMPIRE OF DEBT.

I'm like you guys, I wash my straps intermittently. But Natos aren't meant to be worn forever either, after a few years why not get yourself a fresh strap?

Nylon is a form of synthetic fabric, and like your t-shirts, will smell after a bit of sweat and wear. They can be washed with mild hand soap and warm water, and then allowed to air dry. Also, to clean up some fraying, it is suggested to use the flame of a lighter close to but not directly on the nylon. It will clean up any frays and keep the strap looking like new throughout it's life.

Other waterproof options would include perlon (also a form of nylon), rubber, silicone, and metal bracelets. They all have theirs pluses and minuses.

Thread Information