Which way does your watch strap end point?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Which way does your watch strap end point?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which way does your watch strap end point?

I recently purchased a Seiko Alpinist and I thought something was a little "off" but couldn't put my finger on it. Then it struck me: the watch strap is on "backwards." Rather than the tail-end of the strap facing away from me as I look at the watch, it faces toward me. So now that I know what seemed "off," I'll switch the thing around, and all will be as it should be, at least for me.

I've worn a strap mounted watch for decades, and always, the tail pointed away from me. The other strapped watches I recently bought also have the strap pointing away.

Lastly, I'm sure which way the strap's end points is just a matter of personal preference. And, truly, I'm surprised to learn I actually give a damn about it on my watch, yet I clearly do. LOL

What way do you wear your strap-mounted watch?

For readers who need a picture to understand what I'm describing, see below. The Alpinist is the one that points the "wrong" way, whereas the strap on the S501 points the "right" way.

Re: Which way does your watch strap end point?

It’s not unusual for Japanese watches to have the strap mounted the “wrong” way round to what we are used to. If it bothers you then simply swap it round as I once had to.

Banned

Seiko is the only brand I know of that does this backwards from the rest. You may have fixed it, but I'd bet the Seiko logo on your clasp is now upside down when you look at it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 6R15 View Post
    Seiko is the only brand I know of that does this backwards from the rest. You may have fixed it, but I'd bet the Seiko logo on your clasp is now upside down when you look at it.
    Upside down -> Yep. But that doesn't bother me in the least. LOL

I didn't know that the backwards orientation is a Seiko thing. TY for sharing.

Always away from me.
    " I am easily impressed by the best" - Winston Churchill.

"One cannot but admire the cold-bravery and enterprise of these Italians"
    Admiral Cunningham, referring to the frogmen of the M.A.S in WW2.

Quote Originally Posted by MDNoobie View Post

They only do it backwards on their deployant clasps. They usually do it the 'normal' way with the end pointing out when fitted with a tang buckle, no idea how they do it with the new Alpinist.

When they point inwards they can annoyingly catch on items of clothing like belt, pockets and things like that. It's also surprisingly hard to put a watch on the opposite way round with a regular tang buckle.
    CrownAndBuckle likes this.
    Bulova> 96A225. Casio> 5600E. Damasko> DS30. GrandSeiko> SBGH205. Rolex> 116500LN, 16710, 214270. Seiko> SARB017, SARB033, SARG007, SBDX017, SLA017, SRP777.

EHV

I've always worn it away from me but aside from Seiko, mentioned above, Formex sends their watches on straps this way too. I have seen others too but can't recall the specifics.

As I understand it, using it "backwards" may make deployant clasps, especially bigger ones, more comfortable by making the clasp sit more in the middle of the wrist than if it were mounted the other way.

Mr. Obomomomo, your observations could not be more perspicacious.

Quote Originally Posted by obomomomo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MDNoobie View Post

They only do it backwards on their deployant clasps. They usually do it the 'normal' way with the end pointing out when fitted with a tang buckle, no idea how they do it with the new Alpinist.
    Mine is the new Alpinist, and it has a deployant clasp.

Quote Originally Posted by obomomomo View Post
    When they point inwards they can annoyingly catch on items of clothing like belt, pockets and things like that. It's also surprisingly hard to put a watch on the opposite way round with a regular tang buckle.
    Catching the pointy end of the strap on my shirt is exactly how I realized what it was that struck me as "off!
    obomomomo likes this.

Away. I tried it once the other way and it felt too odd to me!

IWC does it too, I flipped it back to the correct way just couldn’t get used to it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information