What to choose for the hypochondriac? Metal / Leather / Rubber / Silicone Allergy galore...

Poll: What to choose for the hypochondriac?

Thread: What to choose for the hypochondriac? Metal / Leather / Rubber / Silicone Allergy galore...

Question What to choose for the hypochondriac? Metal / Leather / Rubber / Silicone Allergy galore...

So, what strap / bracelet to choose if you're a mild (?) hypochondriac?

Metal bracelet
    + Rather easy to clean (but perhaps hard to get completely clean)
    + If it's Ti it could be anti/hypo-allergenic, please note that some parts of Ti bracelets sometimes is not Ti, for example the locking mechanism
    - If it's stainless steel it could give you nickel allergy

Leather strap
    + Breathes rather well
    - To process and make leather straps a wealth of chemicals is used, I sometimes get some itching from brand new straps
    - The porous nature of leather could make them into a germ and bacteria "factory"

Rubber straps

+ Very easy to clean
    - Can give you Latex Allergy
    - Doesn't ventilate sweat

Silicone Strap
    + Less allergenic than rubber straps
    + Very easy to clean
    - Dull and ugly look (?)
    - Doesn't ventilate sweat

So, what's your choice and or comments?
    Last edited by physics25; February 22nd, 2012 at 15:15. Reason: Added to the title

Re: What to choose for the hypochondriac? Allergy galore...

A quality Titanium metal bracelet that is 100% Titanium. Easy to clean with a toothbrush and warm, soapy water. Every few months you can take it off the watch and deep clean it in an ultrasonic cleaner - the same one used to clean jewelry and eyeglasses.

HTH
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    A quality Titanium metal bracelet that is 100% Titanium. Easy to clean with a toothbrush and warm, soapy water. Every few months you can take it off the watch and deep clean it in an ultrasonic cleaner - the same one used to clean jewelry and eyeglasses.

HTH
    Hi!

I've checked a Breitling Aerospace bracelet. It "is" made of Ti. But if you check with a magnet (Ti is not magnetic, but for example iron is) you see that the two locking parts, that you push together to lock the buckle, are magnetic. Though they are marked "nickel-free". I wonder if they still are made form steel, but some version without nickel? Or some other non-iron (Fe) material that is magnetic?

What kind of brand / bracelet were you thinking of?

I've also heard it said that because RLX use a steel that have higher rust resistance, it also contains more nickel, and thus cause problems for a larger % of the users.

Personally I like rubber straps, but the risk of latex allergy is a little frightening, I love bananas! If you develop latex allergy, you can get problems with bananas since they are similiar to natural rubber. I've seen som red / dry skin around my wrist - but as the subject title says, it might be a mind game.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by physics25 View Post
    Hi!

I've checked a Breitling Aerospace bracelet. It "is" made of Ti. But if you check with a magnet (Ti is not magnetic, but for example iron is) you see that the two locking parts, that you push together to lock the buckle, are magnetic. Though they are marked "nickel-free". I wonder if they still are made form steel, but some version without nickel? Or some other non-iron (Fe) material that is magnetic?

What kind of brand / bracelet were you thinking of?

I've also heard it said that because RLX use a steel that have higher rust resistance, it also contains more nickel, and thus cause problems for a larger % of the users.

Personally I like rubber straps, but the risk of latex allergy is a little frightening, I love bananas! If you develop latex allergy, you can get problems with bananas since they are similiar to natural rubber. I've seen som red / dry skin around my wrist - but as the subject title says, it might be a mind game.
    Two of the Titanium bracelets I have that would meet your criteria are for my Omega X-33 and Seiko "Grey Ghost." On both of these, all parts that touch the skin are Titanium.

Please remember, on all watches I know of, even if they are Titanium or some other "safe" material, all the spring bars used to attach a band/strap/bracelet to the watch are Stainless Steel.

HTH
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

Thread Information