Why all the love for Nato?
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Why all the love for Nato?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Why all the love for Nato?

I know style is a subjective thing, and I certainly DO NOT mean to offend anyone, but I simply don't understand all the love for NATO type straps.

For some reason, every time I see someone post a pic of their watch on a NATO I cringe, literally. To me, it totally cheapens the look of the watch. It is the complete antithesis of a well-polished stainless bracelet or a classic and comfortable black leather band. I also can't see how it'd be a good alternative to the durability or water proof qualities of rubber.

So I make this topic, not to kick anyone in the gut (clearly they're insanely popular, so I'm the on deviating from the norm here), but to ask all you watch-a-holics; what am I missing? Is there some fundamental functional aspect of a NATO strap I'm missing? Or do I simply "not get" the appeal?

Thanks for any and all responses, and again I don't mean to put down anyones' tastes.
    BondZulu and Alex_TA like this.
    Rolex: Submariner 16803 (Two Tone)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional
    Grand Seiko: SBGA031 | 6146-8020 61GS

Seiko: SLA025 6159 Reissue | SLA019 LE MM300 |
    SLA017 62MAS Reissue| SBDX017 MarineMaster 300m | SBDC047 Blue Transocean | SRPA19 Zimbe Turtle | 6105 8110 |SCVF005 "Red" Alpinist | 5246-6000 Chronometer Special King Seiko

Damasko: DC66
    Sinn: 556i

Re: Why all the love for Nato?

O/P... I can't speak for anyone else but for me there are several reasons for my attraction to Nato straps...First is the safety factor...Since the strap passes THROUGH both springbars the watch will NOT fall off the wrist if a springbar is broken,it will just dangle there like a limp fish...Ask anyone who has ever LOST a multi hundred/thousand dollar watch while diving/surfing/ski'ing(trust me it happens)if they didn't wish they had put that watch on a Nato instead of rubber or bracelet...Second is the complete ease in which straps(& the complete look of the watch)can be changed out which gives a huge return for a very small investment...Next is comfort,Natos are some of the most comfortable straps I've ever worn,& until you try one you can't relate..Then there's the connection to the past...Natos are by design Military watch straps,when I strap on my Lum-Tec Pilot watch with the "Goldfinger Bond"(EXACT duplicate of the strap James Bond wore on his Rolex in the movie Goldfinger) I know I'm wearing pretty much the same style watch/strap combination that a WWII Navigator wore(well same general style anyway)...I fully agree that they don't look good on a polished blingy style watch,but on the right watch they just sing...I'll let a few pics say the rest:::[IMG]
    Last edited by E8ArmyDiver; February 11th, 2012 at 06:26.

Quote Originally Posted by E8ArmyDiver View Post
    First is the safety factor...Since the strap passes THROUGH both springbars the watch will NOT fall off the wrist if a springbar is broken,it will just dangle there like a limp fish.
    That's the functional reason. Plus, they're comfortable.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I love the military style. It being comfortable is a bonus. Bottom line is its either you like it or not. Nothing wrong with any.
    seiko · orient · citizen · casio · timex · rolex · omega · victorinox · apple watch

Children need your help. Please share your blessings...
    GiveDirect -
    https://www.givedirectly.org/
    UNICEF - http://
    www.unicefusa.org
    CARITAS -
    http://www.caritas.org/
    NO KID HUNGRY -
    http://www.nokidhungry.org/
    Save The Children - http://www.savethechildren.org/

Exactly why I made this topic.

I did NOT know that they're essentially a military design. That is pretty cool. And I'll say, that Lum-Tec on NATO is probably the first watch I've ever thought it looked good on! Nice.

Since they're cheap, I'll have to buy one to experiment with. I wouldn't have assumed they're all that comfortable, but I guess that's impossible to tell unless you try it.
    E8ArmyDiver likes this.
    Rolex: Submariner 16803 (Two Tone)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional
    Grand Seiko: SBGA031 | 6146-8020 61GS

Seiko: SLA025 6159 Reissue | SLA019 LE MM300 |
    SLA017 62MAS Reissue| SBDX017 MarineMaster 300m | SBDC047 Blue Transocean | SRPA19 Zimbe Turtle | 6105 8110 |SCVF005 "Red" Alpinist | 5246-6000 Chronometer Special King Seiko

Damasko: DC66
    Sinn: 556i

I find that they irritate my skin. I've only tried one strap but are there different feels to different types? What I mean by that is could one fabric from one manufacturer feel different than another in terms of quality and softness? Sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread a bit.

-Drew
    Last edited by Mrbrownstone; February 11th, 2012 at 06:38.

O/P..One thing is the quality of nylon used & how it's constructed varies with the really cheap chinese made models being thinner than a good quality strap..If you get one choose from a strap dealer listed at the top of the forum page & you'll get good quality...

Yes, there definitely can be different grades... some are as soft as car seatbelt fabric (which is also nylon), some are hard and nasty.
    E8ArmyDiver likes this.

try a leather nato.they look a bit classier and are even more comfotable than a nylon one.

Quote Originally Posted by E8ArmyDiver View Post
    O/P..One thing is the quality of nylon used & how it's constructed varies with the really cheap chinese made models being thinner than a good quality strap..If you get one choose from a strap dealer listed at the top of the forum page & you'll get good quality...
    I am big user of NATO straps and the best are the ones made by or for LUM-TEC. They may not be a price bargain, but of all the many I have bought they are the best.
    E8ArmyDiver likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information