Will this Clip-on Compass Fit my Factory Citizen Diver's Rubber Strap & my Bond NATO well?

Thread: Will this Clip-on Compass Fit my Factory Citizen Diver's Rubber Strap & my Bond NATO well?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Question Will this Clip-on Compass Fit my Factory Citizen Diver's Rubber Strap & my Bond NATO well?

Hi,
    I own the Citizen #BN0000-04H Men's Eco-Drive Diver's watch. My watch has the standard factory Citizen rubber band that's 20mm wide at both lugs. I also own the Black and Gray striped James BOND NATO for my watch.
    I recently ordered a Suunoto Clip-on Compass for my watch and I have 2 questions.

1. First, I would like to know whether or not this particular clip-on compass will fit correctly on the standard factory rubber Citizen band that my watch came with from the factory? I've heard that some rubber diver's bands are too thick to accomodate a clip-on compass like the one that I ordered.

2. Secondly, will the same Suunoto Clip-on Compass that I am referring to here be a very loose fit for my James Bond NATO strap? I don't want the compass to fall off the NATO watchband all because the band is too thin and the Compass clip is not secured well on the NATO band.

Here are 2 links with pictures and descriptions of the exact same Suunoto clip-on compass which I just ordered:
    http://www.thecompassstore.com/51clipl.html

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/thecompassstore_2025_5904513

It says in the link that this particular Suunoto clip-on compass will fit watchbands as thick as 1/8" and as wide as 7/8".
    Is the standard Citizen factory rubber diver's band that my watch came with from the factory and the Bond NATO that I own for this particular Diver's watch within the 1/8" thickness and 7/8" width to make the clip-on compass fit well without it being too tight of a fit on the Citizen rubber diver's strap or too loose on the Bond NATO strap?
    I am hoping that some people in here who know about this can give me some input.
    Last edited by RolexSubMan; November 29th, 2008 at 07:24.

Banned

Re: Will this Clip-on Compass Fit my Factory Citizen Diver's Rubber Strap & my Bond NATO w

Anybody????

Re: Will this Clip-on Compass Fit my Factory Citizen Diver's Rubber Strap & my Bond NATO w

A Suunto Clipper will fit on a 20mm strap, though I have found it works a lot better on NATO/Zulu straps than rubber. The clip has a stop at the end that will prevent it from slipping off the strap.

I use a Clipper (and similar) on NATOs, and I prefer a Silva (or similar) slip on type compass for rubber straps. This pic shows a compass I picked up from LAPoliceGear for my G-Shock that will work well with any rubber strap.

I hope this helps,
    Griff

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

I just ordered 4 of the same exact clip on compasses just like the one that you have pictured below that's on your Casio Riseman. I also ordered 2 of the Suunoto Clip on Compasses from another website.
    I measured the thickness of the factory Citizen diver's strap that's currently on my Citizen diver's watch and it's a little less than 1/8" inch thick and it's exactly 3/4" inch wide. The specs for the Suunoto clip on compass that I ordered say that it will fit any watchband that's up to 1/8" inch thich and up to 7/8" inch wide. My factory Citizen rubber diver's strap is a little less shy than 1/8" inch thick and it's only 3/4" inch wide. I'm hoping that the Suunoto compass will fit well. I am concerned that the clip on the Suunoto compass might be too hard to slide on to fit on my current factory Citizen rubber watchband.
    What do you think??

Quote Originally Posted by zippofan View Post
    A Suunto Clipper will fit on a 20mm strap, though I have found it works a lot better on NATO/Zulu straps than rubber. The clip has a stop at the end that will prevent it from slipping off the strap.

I use a Clipper (and similar) on NATOs, and I prefer a Silva (or similar) slip on type compass for rubber straps. This pic shows a compass I picked up from LAPoliceGear for my G-Shock that will work well with any rubber strap.

I hope this helps,
    Griff
    Last edited by RolexSubMan; November 30th, 2008 at 02:22.

Banned

If the compass is fitted close to a metal watchcase, it will not be accurate anymore.
    Not sure about a G-shock.

I guess you bought it just as a cool ornament, right?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    If the compass is fitted close to a metal watchcase, it will not be accurate anymore.
    Not sure about a G-shock.

I guess you bought it just as a cool ornament, right?

Why wouldn't it be accurate if it's fitted close to a metal watchcase????
    Aren't these particular clip on compasses meant for watches with metal watch cases? There are a lot of members on this website who own these clip on compasses and they wear them on their Rolex Submariners as well as on many other watches that have metal watch cases.
    I would love to hear from members in here who own a clip on compass and to find out whether or not they are having any issues with the inaccuracy of the compass while they are wearing them on their watches that have a metal watch case??

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    Not sure about a G-shock...

No problems with the ones on mine...

Quote Originally Posted by RolexSubMan View Post
    Why wouldn't it be accurate if it's fitted close to a metal watchcase???

I'm sure they'd work fine on a metal watchcase. Just a matter of finding one that fits securely.

Banned

I mean work as a compass with accurancy.
    The metal case will affect the compass needle. (The needle is magnetised)
    Of course, it will still work well as a cool accessory!

I haven't had major accuracy issues with a non-plastic cased watch, but I don't rely on such small compasses for my primary direction finding instrument. I have used them for general bearings while hiking in the woods, as a backup to my Silva Lensatic compass.

Plus I usually have a couple more on my person, one on my jacket pull, carabiners with compasses in them etc. I am an Assistant Scoutmaster so I am always trying to get the boys to carry a compass wherever they go. If a clip on watch compass looks "cool" to the Scouts, they will wear it and at least have something to use just in case. Be prepared!

Cheers,
    Griff

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information