Would you accept this?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Would you accept this?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Would you accept this?

Just received a custom French ammo strap, all excited until I spot this -

I'm on the fence with this, the time waiting for this strap to be made and delivered etc and the hassle of sending it back and waiting and waiting.

Wheas every time I look at my watch this cut in the leather will be staring back at me and looking sub par.

I understand these old leathers have a degree of wabi but this is a real QC fail in my opinion.

What do you guys think?
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional. BM

Re: Would you accept this?

It wouldn't bother me - just oil up the whole strap a bit and watch the lighter colored scratch get darker and less obvious.

However, it doesn't mean a tinker's dam what anybody else thinks.

If you don't like it and think it is "a real QC fail" then send it back. Otherwise it will bother you every time you wear it.

HTH
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

You could also consider using something like Sno Seal to darken the entire strap and blend in the scratch so it is not as noticeable. It should not be too obvious as it is on the case side of the lugs, but I agree that someone was not checking their products very carefully before shipping.

If it bothers you but you don't want to have to resend it back and wait some more, you might consider sending these pix to the maker to see what he can do, ie, replace it completely, refund a part of your money, etc. Never hurts to ask, as most custom guys stand behind their work. I too have had this happen as well and it just comes with the territory sometimes when you deal with custom hand made straps.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It doesn't look deep and the area its in is of minimal aesthetic worry. What would bother me more is the stitching flaw shown in the pic just below the scratch, that long stitch. If you paid <$100 no sweat but if you paid more this would be the issue I would return it for......in fact, that plus the scratch = 2 flaws = return;( Just my anal .02

Out of sight out of mind. The opposite is also true. You'll notice it and you'll always wonder why you didn't return it.

My £0.20

Ozy

It does look like a stunning strap though.

I recently purchased an Ammo strap (not quite at the level of yours Jay) and it has a little bit of Wabi...I would have actually liked a little more....but I guess time will take care of that.

Just another view...
    Pavo absolutus

Quote Originally Posted by Aerofish View Post
    It doesn't look deep and the area its in is of minimal aesthetic worry. What would bother me more is the stitching flaw shown in the pic just below the scratch, that long stitch. If you paid <$100 no sweat but if you paid more this would be the issue I would return it for......in fact, that plus the scratch = 2 flaws = return;( Just my anal .02

The stitch is not a flaw, it is intended as a signature feature of the maker, and they are rolling this feature on new straps. I personally do not like this signature feature, as you have proved it looks like a flaw, a maker stamp on the inside of the strap is more than sufficient and this particular maker has a unique buckle which is a dead give-away as to the maker.

The strap, with shipping is over $200.

I just want to pop this on my watch but that defect is in the optimal position for max effect.

Argh......wear it or send it back ?????

I've just had to send a Mario Paci PAV90 back as the construction quality was a mess and now this......seems I have bad luck with purchasing $200+ straps.

I've had a series of shoddy straps from TC Straps (all $200+) and am jaded by all this.

Seems higher end strap makers are getting sloppy. I sound dramatic but I take my purchases seriously and hate to waste money on tat.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional. BM

IMHO, for over $200.00 it should be flawless. That defect isn't a wabi, someone slipped with a metal tool.
    Send it back.
    francobollo
    E8ArmyDiver likes this.

Send it back...or ask for a big discount.

Keep it,after you rub some oil stain I don't think it will show up all that bad.
    Mike

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information