Yes, you can put a 20mm strap on a 19mm lug width watch and a 22mm strap on a 21mm lug watch
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Yes, you can put a 20mm strap on a 19mm lug width watch and a 22mm strap on a 21mm lug watch

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Yes, you can put a 20mm strap on a 19mm lug width watch and a 22mm strap on a 21mm lug watch

I guess I figured this out from experience over the years, so I shouldn't fault anyone for not knowing, but I get annoyed these days when people say things like, "I don't want to get a 21mm lug width watch because it is so hard to find 21mm straps for it." I even read a post from several years ago from a guy who seems to pass himself off as some kind of expert claiming that Omega deliberately made watches with 19mm lugs so that you would be forced to buy straps from them, "pure greed" he said. Funny that my three Omegas all have either 20mm or 18mm lug widths. I guess they decide not to be greedy from time to time. No, companies design band width based on what they thing is appropriate/proportional to the watch, whether we agree with their decisions or not.

So, let me now inform all those who do not know- YOU CAN PUT A 20mm STRAP ON A 19mm LUG WATCH! No problem, and no special modification or expertise needed. Just put it on like you would any other strap. You can do this with NATO straps, leather straps, and rubber straps. It's not going to work on metal bracelets unless you file them down a bit, which counts as a modification, so I won't mention that here. Take a look at one mm on a ruler. It's tiny. Then divide that in half for each side- tiny!

Here is a Grand Seiko with 19mm width lugs. It came on a bracelet, but I decided to put a NATO strap on it for a change of pace. No special order or special effort here- simply put a 20mm NATO on it.

Name:  IMG_0124.jpg
Views: 2447
Size:  1.37 MB

Name:  IMG_0118.jpg
Views: 2409
Size:  2.74 MB

Here is a Nomos watch with 19mm lugs. Again, I simply put a 20mm leather strap on it. It really wasn't any harder than putting a 20mm strap on a 20mm lug watch. I've got another Nomos Orion with 19mm lugs on a 20mm alligator strap. Looks great.

Name:  IMG_0910.jpg
Views: 2411
Size:  2.52 MB

Now here is a 20mm lug watch with a 22mm strap that I took off another watch. In fairness, the strap is probably closer to 21mm. Maybe 21.5mm. No problem at all putting it on this watch. The biggest issue with putting any strap on this watch (even a 20mm strap) is that he spring bars fit so close to the case that it will no accept any strap (other than the metal bracelet it came on) without using curved spring bars.

Name:  IMG_0237 (1).jpg
Views: 2353
Size:  2.25 MB

Here are a couple of watches, one with 17.5mm lug width and the other with 18mm lug with, with a 20mm NATO strap. As you can see there is some bunching up on the side here which doesn't look so good, but it still went on, and it could be notched to fix it, but we are talking about 2 to 2.5mm bigger NATO strap here. A strap that was only 1mm larger would not be a problem.

Name:  IMG_0236 (1).jpg
Views: 2323
Size:  2.33 MB

Name:  IMG_0239 (1).jpg
Views: 2379
Size:  2.41 MB

So let there be no more talk of not wanting to get a watch because the 19 or 21mm lug width would make it difficult to find optional straps to put on it. Just put on a strap that's the next size up and be done with it. Easy to do and it looks good.
    Bell & Ross - Innes - Grand Seiko - Hamilton - Helson - Longines - Nomos - Omega - Seiko - Sinn - Tag Heuer - Zodiac

Re: Yes, you can put a 20mm strap on a 19mm lug width watch and a 22mm strap on a 21mm lug watch

I did try putting a 22 mm on a 20mm lug, wouldn't fit between.
    Current collection. Ingersoll Apache, Hamilton Jazzmaster Auto Chrono, Invicta 0070 Pro Diver, Invicta Pro Diver 15503, Breitling Transocean Chronograph, Panerai Radiomir PAM00388

Sold: Rolex Datejust 16013
    Sold: Chopard LUC 1937 Classic

Re: Yes, you can put a 20mm strap on a 19mm lug width watch and a 22mm strap on a 21mm lug watch

I have a 20mm strap on my 19mm Nomos. Looks fine.

I suspect that 1mm is within the margin of error of most manufacturers.
    Karkarov and LosAngelesTimer like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Watagump View Post
    I did try putting a 22 mm on a 20mm lug, wouldn't fit between.
    2mm difference is pushing it. I don't recommend that, but just showed those examples to make the point that 1mm difference is no problem.
    Dav25 likes this.
    Bell & Ross - Innes - Grand Seiko - Hamilton - Helson - Longines - Nomos - Omega - Seiko - Sinn - Tag Heuer - Zodiac

Quote Originally Posted by gatormac View Post
    2mm difference is pushing it. I don't recommend that, but just showed those examples to make the point that 1mm difference is no problem.

Yeah I figured the 1mm was the difference. I rather just buy the right size, I use inexpensive straps on my watches.
    Current collection. Ingersoll Apache, Hamilton Jazzmaster Auto Chrono, Invicta 0070 Pro Diver, Invicta Pro Diver 15503, Breitling Transocean Chronograph, Panerai Radiomir PAM00388

Sold: Rolex Datejust 16013
    Sold: Chopard LUC 1937 Classic

you can stuff it in, but it doesn't look good
    laza80, qa_ii and Chronomatic like this.

You can also put a 20mm buckle on a 19mm strap, or a 22mm buckle on a 21mm strap.

20mm strap in between 19mm lugs...

gatormac and Tornadohead like this.

Quote Originally Posted by taike View Post
    you can stuff it in, but it doesn't look good
    When dealing with a 20mm strap on a 19mm watch, you really don't even need to "stuff it in", and it looks just fine. I could show you a 19mm watch with a 20mm strap on it in person, and you wouldn't even know. Now when going 2mm up, then it starts to show.
    Dav25 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gatormac View Post
    When dealing with a 20mm strap on a 19mm watch, you really don't even need to "stuff it in", and it looks just fine. I could show you a 19mm watch with a 20mm strap on it in person, and you wouldn't even know. Now when going 2mm up, then it starts to show.
    if they look pinched, they're stuffed in. you could show them to me and I would tell you they don't look good
    Karkarov and qa_ii like this.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information