WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

The 116600 aka SD4K

3K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  Londonboy 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I've previously owned and fooolishly flipped a Submariner 114060 I bought from an AD back in 2013. I thought the Seamaster 300 60th was the one! o| I've been looking for another 114060 for a month now, but the other day I came across the 116600. I was aware of this reference at the time of its release, but was firmly in love with my Sub at the time. I'm now considering picking one up and wanted to hear from owners who bought and moved it on (if so why?) and from owners who still have it (if so why?) I realise that it's now discontinued and I would have to buy pre owned, aswell as being much more expensive than a 114060.

I love the matte dial, narrower lugs, domed sapphire crystal, slimmer crown guards and bezel with minute hashes all around. It almost passes as an older reference sports model if it wasn't for the ceramic bezel! I haven't tried one on, but I'm fine with a thicker watch as I have a PO currently.

Oh and a picture or few never hurts! :-!

#2 ·
Hi All,

I've previously owned and fooolishly flipped a Submariner 114060 I bought from an AD back in 2013. I thought the Seamaster 300 60th was the one! o| I've been looking for another 114060 for a month now, but the other day I came across the 116600. I was aware of this reference at the time of its release, but was firmly in love with my Sub at the time. I'm now considering picking one up and wanted to hear from owners who bought and moved it on (if so why?) and from owners who still have it (if so why?) I realise that it's now discontinued and I would have to buy pre owned, aswell as being much more expensive than a 114060.

I love the matte dial, narrower lugs, domed sapphire crystal, slimmer crown guards and bezel with minute hashes all around. It almost passes as an older reference sports model if it wasn't for the ceramic bezel! I haven't tried one on, but I'm fine with a thicker watch as I have a PO currently.

Oh and a picture or few never hurts! :-!
There is at this moment two new ones with stickers still on on chrono24, one in the US for $13,995, and one in the UK for £12,750 or "best reasonable offer".

#7 ·
Yep, I've started monitoring watches and market prices. I'm guessing like all things steel Rolex, the price will only keep rising. I'm still in the deciding if the changes are worth the substantial more than double price difference of a 114060.

Hey Dan,
I think the 116600 is an amazing watch, probably one of my favourite Rolex models, if I'm honest.
Now, I love my 114060, but I'd have a 116600 any day of the week. Just something about it that makes it the quintessential diver, to me anyway.
I totally get that Adrian. I would be happy with another 114060, but the SD4K seems more refined. Case shape alone has me hooked!

I still clearly remember the day I discovered the release of the 116600. The new version of the classic 40mm SD with all of Rolex's latest mod cons. I knew I had to own one! I had always loved the 16600, so the SD4K had me absolutely enraptured. I still never picked one up, I thought there'd be plenty of time. Then when it was canned I told myself I'd buy the next one that came up (pre-owned, as I never buy new). I was very lucky and didn't have to wait long, as one came up on the 'bay from a local guy who wanted to upgrade to a Cameron.
I'm an Omega guy at heart and still own many. I've had 4 PO's and let them go, but my SD will be sticking around for a really long time I think. I don't wear it a lot, as I have a pretty huge collection. But it's an incredibly satisfying piece to own. I love everything about the Sea-Dweller's, and the 116600 is the pinnacle to me.

Did somebody say picture?

View attachment 14341763

View attachment 14341765

View attachment 14341767

And next to my random old 14060M

View attachment 14341771
The fact you have a large collection and you still love it speaks volumes! Beautiful photos. Thank you. Highlights all the subtle differences.

Going against the grain here, I prefer the 114060, mainly for the glossy dial and slimmer profile. Had the SD4K, now have 114060.

Yes the slimmer lugs are great, but the matte dial lacks depth and doesn't match the ceramic bezel. Just my $0.02.

I hear you, but the matte dial is a huge draw to me. Legibility is important to me. No wrong answer I guess :)

#3 ·
Hey Dan,
I think the 116600 is an amazing watch, probably one of my favourite Rolex models, if I'm honest.
Now, I love my 114060, but I'd have a 116600 any day of the week. Just something about it that makes it the quintessential diver, to me anyway.

Reactions: solesman
#4 ·
I still clearly remember the day I discovered the release of the 116600. The new version of the classic 40mm SD with all of Rolex's latest mod cons. I knew I had to own one! I had always loved the 16600, so the SD4K had me absolutely enraptured. I still never picked one up, I thought there'd be plenty of time. Then when it was canned I told myself I'd buy the next one that came up (pre-owned, as I never buy new). I was very lucky and didn't have to wait long, as one came up on the 'bay from a local guy who wanted to upgrade to a Cameron.
I'm an Omega guy at heart and still own many. I've had 4 PO's and let them go, but my SD will be sticking around for a really long time I think. I don't wear it a lot, as I have a pretty huge collection. But it's an incredibly satisfying piece to own. I love everything about the Sea-Dweller's, and the 116600 is the pinnacle to me.

Watch Analog watch Wrist Watch accessory Fashion accessory

Analog watch Wrist Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory

Analog watch Wrist Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist

#5 ·

View attachment 14341763

View attachment 14341765

View attachment 14341767

View attachment 14341771
Beautiful watch, looks awesome. :-!

Reactions: Keaman
#8 ·
Thinking back to the matte dial on my old 2500 series Planet Ocean, I think that somehow looks more utilitarian than the gloss finish on my 114060.
I think the matte dial actual aids readability, due to the reduction in light reflection. :think:
The gloss dial is nice, but I can't help but think it a 'fashion' addition, rather than an improvement in readability.

#10 ·
Soles, if you buy one and have a change of heart/mind most likely you'll be able to get your money back, so honestly mate I think you should get one, wear it for a while and decide for yourself during the actual ownership experience

I love the matte dial, no cyclops, bezel markings, smaller lugs, smaller c/g's - (people hardly ever mention the massive c/g's on the 6 digit Subs). Dial legibility is a non issue to me, lume is great. I have a 42mm 8500 PO too and the 116600 wears much nicer (for me)

Imho it's the modern version of the 16600 with a few modern touches that make sense, and work - rather than the 5 digit sub eating nothing other than big macs for a year to become the 6 digit sub

I posted this pic on todays WRUW thread in F74 but I'll add it here to 'help' you - a pic from March 1st 2015 the day after I got it BNIB

#13 ·
It's leaning that way. It was like a slap in the face when I started reading up on this model. It's a classic tool watch yet a modern Rolex. With the matte dial it should slip under the radar a bit too. The narrower lugs mean it should rock both NATO and rubber straps which the 114060 looks awful on IMHO :-d

#15 ·
I owned a 114060 for a while and I honestly thought it was the one. I wasn't really interested in other watches anymore until I suddenly needed a date complication. I contemplated about getting a 116610 but happened to snag the SD4k (for retail...) since it was a tad different. I never looked back and I honestly think it's one of the best modern Rolex available without it being flashy. The thickness isn't an 8500 but more similar to the 2500 PO. The case back magically disappears on the wrist.

#17 ·
~Funnily enough, I don't need a date complication, but the lack of cyclops gives the SD a decent symmetry. Getting it at retail is a real boon. The only thing really holding me back is the market now. It's a personal decision on whether its worth double the Sub C for a few subtle details. Damn.

#19 ·
The best modern rolex imo,
As you said it is closer to an old reference than any other 6 digit Rolex.
As I always say it has the proportions of a 5 digit Rolex and the material technology of a new one.
Amazing watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#22 ·
Hey Rob! It's a lot of coin. I could get a BLRO grey for only a few K more. It's almost double what I paid for my Sub. Currently in the justification phase. I'm massively drawn to it. It turns out that a mate has one which I got to try it on today! Not the best photos. Sorry! It wears so much better than the Sub. More presense, yet smaller on my wrist. All the details mentioned above really make this watch. Case and lug shape are THE best this side of a five digit Rolex. The dial is just :p Weight is more, but it feels so good on the wrist!

Analog watch Watch Wrist Watch accessory Strap

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist

Fashion accessory Jewellery Hand Bracelet Wrist

#29 ·
I don't know guys, about the price, I don't think they have anywhere near taken off yet. I suppose it's easy for me to say, since I got mine right at discontinuation for only 8K, but compared to the madness of others like GMT's and Daytona's, the SD4K still has massive upside I reckon. I know it's not as sought after obviously, but considering what it is (the very last of the classic SD's, sans cyclops and with only a 3 year production run), there will come a time when these things will be off the chart price-wise. Better to get in sooner than later if you ask me.

#32 ·
Soles, different policies have different criteria

I'm not sure 'back home' as I haven't insured anything there for 20+ years, but either the purchase price or current market replacement value (current, as in - the date when stolen/lost) are/were options

Of course, for you replacement value would most likely be better

I'm sure someone posting from there will have actual knowledge, as opposed to me working from memory

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.