WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1986 Submariner 5513

3K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  SOGDIVER 
#1 ·
What is it worth in “good” condition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Not sure but assuming all original, USD$15,000.00?

#3 ·
Depends entirely on condition and recent service without being downgraded by new parts and any polishing

Replacement hands, dial, bezel all reduce the worth, as does bad polishing.

“Good” condition varies by source.

$15k would be for a mint condition, serviced, unpolished with original parts watch.

#6 ·
Depends entirely on condition and recent service without being downgraded by new parts and any polishing

Replacement hands, dial, bezel all reduce the worth, as does bad polishing.

"Good" condition varies by source.

$15k would be for a mint condition, serviced, unpolished with original parts watch.
Assuming all of the parts in the picture below are original, and no box/papers?

#28 ·
I would not buy this Watch in this condition.

I am thinking definitely under USD$10,000.00, assuming all original Rolex.

#9 ·
No papers

No service history

"assuming" all original...

Sounds like a recipe for getting fleeced if you don't know this market segment.

(Unless of course it is your watch already and you're trying to suss out its value - you're not providing much information).

#12 ·
No papers

No service history

"assuming" all original...

Sounds like a recipe for getting fleeced if you don't know this market segment.

(Unless of course it is your watch already and you're trying to suss out its value - you're not providing much information).
It's an auction piece so I'm trying to decide where it's worth landing in my bidding.

#11 ·

The value of a 5513 vs. a later 14060 comes almost entirely from the dial, and that 5513 does not have the matte maxi-dial that is so desirable (see photo).

So that 5513 would be towards the low end of the scale, under $9K, as it's had its dial replaced and/or came with the modern glossy dial with white gold indices which is unfortunate. One could purchase a 1992 14060 in that condition for $6K and have the exact same look on their wrist.

#13 ·
My understanding is that the matte dials were phased out in 1984; at least, in my search for a 1984 (birth year) 5513, I've found both Maxi V and glossy dials, and I've never seen a matte dial from 1985. Its possible that the OP wants a birth year watch, which would limit him to the glossy dials with white-gold surrounds. I would agree though that a 14060 or 14060M would likely be cheaper, of better quality, and likely better condition, without any significant changes in aesthetics other than a sapphire crystal instead of acrylic.

#14 ·
I wouldn't bid on it.. No service history, no history at all, or box and papers. If I couldn't touch it I would move on.. To much possible money.

#17 ·
Originality is key with top prices on a 5513. The other thing to consider is assuring that all parts are Rolex rather than aftermarket. The insert appears to be a service insert. Also, it is from the era of WG Surrounds rather than matte dial / applied indices. This is definitely less desirable than an older 5513. Personally, assuming that all parts are authentic......I would price this similar to a 14060/14060M. Really, the only difference is acrylic crystal vs sapphire. This era of the 5513 hasn’t taken-off like the older eras. Maybe it will someday, maybe not.

Vintage Rolex is a minefield. There are so many “pieced-together” watches out there, one must be extremely cautious.

#21 ·
Any dealer can put up any asking price he wants. The question is, at what price does it sell? Understand that dealers and private sellers stuck with a 5513 without the maxi-dial are always trying to hype them- "transitional model!", "spider dial!", "rare gloss version!", "immaculate service dial!". Many of them take photos in particular lighting and slightly soft in focus so that the white gold rings around the hour markers are barely visible in the hopes that a potential buyer doesn't notice.

The 5513 is the more collectible Submariner than a 14060 because of the matte dials. Maxi-dial Sub's are all the rage and command the big dollars. Gloss 5513's are a tough sell because they are, for all intents and purposes, an inferior version of the 14060 which is half the price.

Reactions: oso2276 and jas1978
#27 ·
Here is a matte dial fairly clean watch with a bracelet in need of repair from a very solid seller. $13,850 is his asking price. Personally, there is NO WAY I would even consider > $10k for a 5513 with WG surrounds from the 1980's. The watch in question that the OP pictured?? Did anyone happen to notice the 6 O'clock lugs and bracelet on that side? It looks like it has been chewed-up in a motorcycle accident.

Don't get caught-up in this absurd hysteria where current thoughts lead foolhardy people to believe they can't lose on a Rolex. If you want to purchase a given watch because you like it, plan to wear it, and never sell it......and you are happy with the purchase price......so be it. These ideas that a Rolex is a "sound investment" could prove to be a real problem in the not so distant future.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vin...rolex-submariner-5513-serif-dial-t254869.html

#32 ·
Did anyone happen to notice the 6 O'clock lugs and bracelet on that side? It looks like it has been chewed-up in a motorcycle accident.
lol I can't believe nobody is talking about that, especially when surmising about a "good polish", as if it will do anything for that! :-d

Guess sometimes it's hard to see the reality when your wearing these:

#29 ·
I’d rather a 14060 than this one. A nice mid 70’s matt 5513 then yes but even then it would just be for normal wear. I’d never dive with anything plexi and certainly not a matt dial. These watches have become too expensive for purpose and now I wear the newer stuff when diving. It was part reason I stopped using my old 16800 (sentimental value) and bought the DeepSea for getting in. A real shame that these watches now are hardly ever seen in the water. There was a time and not that long ago when you’d always see a Sub’ or Sea Dweller on dive boats but sadly it’s now a rarity.

#30 ·
It looks like a late service dial and the case is pretty beat up. The crystal is acrylic, which is a plus. Nowadays prices are strong and I would guess around $10,000. I wouldn’t pay that much, but with a good polish, new seals, and a service that would be a cool watch.

#31 ·
It looks like a late service dial and the case is pretty beat up. The crystal is acrylic, which is a plus. Nowadays prices are strong and I would guess around $10,000. I wouldn't pay that much, but with a good polish, new seals, and a service that would be a cool watch.
Exactly so.

I don't care how much the matte 5513 costs; a point of reference solely to illustrate its unavailability, they're largely out of the market now. It's down to whether the buyer wants to pay to have a four-digit rather than five-digit reference. And for the sports models, they're just more expensive. That's it. The market values a good, complete 5513 at £8-10k, or about $10-12k. Their value will always be higher than a plain 14060. So I would also not pay $15k for this one.

Additionally it's worth pointing out that the 5513 was produced until 1989, and this watch under discussion is 1986, so an "80s WG dial" will be its original (and if it's a service replacement, it'll be the same anyway).

Also the suggestion that the ownership experience is the same 14060 is wrong. For some, that acrylic crystal is all, and the 5513's lugs are fractionally wider, at least they were when new. The downside is the potential amount of work required either to tidy it up. Repairers typically charge a premium to work on older Rolexes because of the risk factor.

#33 ·
The 5512 and 5513 are my favorite Submariner references, though I am the original owner of a 1680 red sub. These earlier Submariners were tough watches.
Bob Alieri wrote an excellent piece in Bobs Watches "Last of the Best" on the reference series 14060-14060M. With the caliber 3130, these watches carry over the classic 5513 40 mm non-date Submariner to the present.They split the difference between collector grade and a wear watch with tool watch toughness-preserving the case size and bracelet.
The 5513 had a balance cock and hair spring. The 14060 has a Breguet overcoil and full balance bridge.Accurate and reliable.

Buy that 5513 at the best price you can-then wear it with character.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.