40mm Air-King vs. 39mm Explorer I
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: 40mm Air-King vs. 39mm Explorer I

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

40mm Air-King vs. 39mm Explorer I

I realize that a comparison has been made before regarding members attempting to decide whether to buy the 214270 Explorer I or the 116900 Air-King but am unsure whether or not anyone has attempted to assess the two watches side by side. I have owned my 39mm Explorer I for the past eight years but acquired my 40mm Air-King a few days ago with the idea of possibly wearing it with one of my Greg Stevens Design custom straps as soon as the hot Texas weather cools in October.

The difference between case widths of the 39mm Explorer and the 40mm AK seems negligible, but the difference in thickness of the two cases seems more noticeable. The AK has the same case and movement as the Milgauss, both designed to withstand magnetic fields. The Milgauss is $2000 more expensive than the AK.

Although the AK is just slightly larger than the Explorer, I don’t have the perception it wears bigger.

The difference in thickness of the cases is apparent. However the AK doesn’t feel clunky and balances nicely, at least on my wrist. The crown on the AK is slightly larger than the crown on the Explorer.

One can see the difference in lume between the Explorer on the left and the AK on the right.

My preference of dials leans heavily in the direction of the Explorer although the AK dial looks much better up close than the pictures might indicate. I also like the flip lock clasp of the Explorer. Both have the Easylink extension link that the OP does not have.

All in all I am very pleased that I acquired my Air-King and will post pictures whenever I eventually try it on strap.
    Betterthere, oso2276 and Montremoi like this.

Re: 40mm Air-King vs. 39mm Explorer I

I only sold my Rolex Explorer a couple of days ago.

I still have my Rolex Milgauss, which the Air-King has the same case.

The Milgauss is much thicker and heavier and wears so differently to the Explorer.

They are indeed very different Watches.
    5959HH likes this.
    Dan.
    A. Lange & Sohne 1815 Up/Down
    H. Moser & Cie Pioneer Centre Seconds
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Tribute Small Seconds
    Officine Panerai Radiomir PAM 720
    Rolex Submariner 114060 (No Date)
    Cartier Santos WSSA0010
    Apple Watch Series 4 Nike+
    Seiko SKX007
    Seiko SKX009
    Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400-1
    Casio G-Shock GA-700
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600E
    And others (not really worth mentioning)

Quote Originally Posted by dantan View Post
    I only sold my Rolex Explorer a couple of days ago.
    Why did you sell your explorer, its such a hot watch right now.

edit - nevermid I read you OP posts. Man, youre a maniac. Look at the wimbleton rolex
    Last edited by Xspect; June 15th, 2018 at 20:37.
    dantan likes this.
    Dee & Ricky G-shock, Dornbluth 99.1 IWC Big Pilot, Selvin, JLC Memovox, Omega Speedy Pro, Vintage Seamaster,PAM 243 Rolex 1675, 16600, 16610, 16610LV, 114300, Slava Big Zero, Tudor Snowflake Vostok 2013 WUS Amphibia

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great write up @HH. Always helpful seeing a side-by-side, especially among watches that some folks will likely cross shop. I have a slot reserved for one of those in the not so distant future, and though I share your assessment almost to the letter (the Exp is indeed easier on the eyes), I'm still drawn to the A/K. It's quirky/colorful enough to make it interesting, if not quite as zany as the Milgauss.

Thanks for posting!
    5959HH likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Xspect View Post
    Why did you sell your explorer, its such a hot watch right now.

edit - nevermid I read you OP posts. Man, youre a maniac. Look at the wimbleton rolex
    I am crazy like that sometimes!

I sold it to a good person, so I am happy.
    Xspect likes this.
    Dan.
    A. Lange & Sohne 1815 Up/Down
    H. Moser & Cie Pioneer Centre Seconds
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Tribute Small Seconds
    Officine Panerai Radiomir PAM 720
    Rolex Submariner 114060 (No Date)
    Cartier Santos WSSA0010
    Apple Watch Series 4 Nike+
    Seiko SKX007
    Seiko SKX009
    Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400-1
    Casio G-Shock GA-700
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600E
    And others (not really worth mentioning)

39mm explorer for sure. i have the new mkii version and i used to have the blue GV milgauss. the milgauss just fit so awkwardly and tall on the wrist. maybe you should try the new date just 41. its even bigger... but the redesigned case and new movement is pretty nice. thinner profile case with a much better ratio to the strap.

I wasn't into the AK at all until I saw pics of it on a Rubber B. That changed my impression so much I'm now considering picking one up as a sporty beater.
    5959HH likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 5959HH View Post
    I realize that a comparison has been made before regarding members attempting to decide whether to buy the 214270 Explorer I or the 116900 Air-King but am unsure whether or not anyone has attempted to assess the two watches side by side. I have owned my 39mm Explorer I for the past eight years but acquired my 40mm Air-King a few days ago with the idea of possibly wearing it with one of my Greg Stevens Design custom straps as soon as the hot Texas weather cools in October.

The difference between case widths of the 39mm Explorer and the 40mm AK seems negligible, but the difference in thickness of the two cases seems more noticeable. The AK has the same case and movement as the Milgauss, both designed to withstand magnetic fields. The Milgauss is $2000 more expensive than the AK.

Although the AK is just slightly larger than the Explorer, I don’t have the perception it wears bigger.

The difference in thickness of the cases is apparent. However the AK doesn’t feel clunky and balances nicely, at least on my wrist. The crown on the AK is slightly larger than the crown on the Explorer.

One can see the difference in lume between the Explorer on the left and the AK on the right.

My preference of dials leans heavily in the direction of the Explorer although the AK dial looks much better up close than the pictures might indicate. I also like the flip lock clasp of the Explorer. Both have the Easylink extension link that the OP does not have.

All in all I am very pleased that I acquired my Air-King and will post pictures whenever I eventually try it on strap.
    I think the AK is way better than the Milgauss visually in my opinion and taste. Though I would imagine the Explorer should be a watch with magnetic protection also, does the newer version have it now? I think a lot of people duml on the new AK but I love that it is more precise for its task as oppose to before.
    5959HH likes this.

These dark shots are a good idea. Based on that I'd rather have the Explorer, much more legible at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Montremoi View Post
    These dark shots are a good idea. Based on that I'd rather have the Explorer, much more legible at night.

A different lume shot not in total darkness.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information