WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

5513 Submariner Purchase Help

932 views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  SOGDIVER 
#1 ·
I'm working on the chance to purchase a Submariner 5513 from a co-worker. He purchased it in 1985. It's pretty rough. Bezel insert is missing the lume pip and is quite scratched. Bezel is all screwed up, it turns in both directions and feels sticky, no clicks. Case is beat to hell. Bracelet is gone. Only had one service it's whole life and is running about 1 minute fast per day (I hope). Dial and hands are ok. Crown screws down but requires more effort than it should.

I'm open to all comments and ideas. Yea or neigh if it's worth purchasing. And what value would you put on it? $2k? $5k? $7k?

I know there are no pics, I'm working on it. Thanks!

#3 ·
Pictures would greatly help.

At the very least you will need to spend on a major service, source a vintage bezel with tritium pip and a vintage bracelet. The way you describe the case does not sound very good, there's only so much that can be polished out. If there are deep scratches and dents that you can feel with your finger nail then a lot of metal will need to be removed to have it polished out and the case will lose its sharpness.

Perhaps it is not as bad as it sounds, you could get a light polish and still have some scratches and dents and put it on a distressed leather band, that would look superb.

Analog watch Watch Wrist Watch accessory Fashion accessory

#4 ·
The dents and scratches in the case are deep. They are there to stay.

I think he's going to let it go for $2k. Worth it? (I'll get some pics of it as soon as I can).

I can live with a light polish of the case as well as no bracelet. Plexi crystal should polish right up and I didn't see any cracks.

#5 ·
Assuming it’s a genuine Rolex 5513, Watch head only, in poor condition, having been Serviced only once in its life, I am going to say that I would not purchase it personally.

If you would really like to purchase it and are sure that it is a real Rolex, I would be inclined not to pay over USD$3,000.00.

If you could get it for USD$2,000.00 or under, assuming that it is genuine, I think it is a good deal, but just too much work and money to get it looking good, in my opinion.

#6 ·
Since you are willing to accept it for it's cosmetic faults, which adds character, $2K sounds like a good deal and it will look good on a distressed band.

Might also be good to ask your friend to have it looked at, at your local watchmaker to get a quote on service and you'll find out if there are any other major costs involved.

Good opportunity, hope it all works out.

#8 ·
I acquired my 1665 essentially in similar condition. No bracelet (as the one pictured is aftermarket), bezel insert was shot and needed to be replaced, and it had never had a service. I paid $1,000 for it, and I spent close to $3,000 on a service. The case can be laser-welded if needed......so they can get rid of deep imperfections. Personally, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Watch Watch accessory Analog watch Fashion accessory Metal

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

#10 ·
I acquired my 1665 essentially in similar condition. No bracelet (as the one pictured is aftermarket), bezel insert was shot and needed to be replaced, and it had never had a service. I paid $1,000 for it, and I spent close to $3,000 on a service. The case can be laser-welded if needed......so they can get rid of deep imperfections. Personally, I would do it in a heartbeat.

View attachment 14414053

View attachment 14414055
WOW Night and day difference!

Chamfers were cut perfectly too!!

#13 ·

First Question:

Does the dial on this 5513 look like the one on the left or the right? Ignore the date window on the one on the right. The difference is that the one on the left is a Matte dial with hour markers that are large and don't have shiny white gold surround rings. The one on the right is a Glossy dial and it has small hour markers and shiny white gold surround rings. The difference in value is as much as 50% to 100% between the two with the Matte being the more valuable.

Second Question:

You need to ask yourself how much you would be willing to spend on a 5513 if it were in solid cosmetic and functional condition. If this coworker didn't have one for sale, what would you spend on one from a private seller or dealer? Once you come up with that number, then you can work it backwards and see if its worth your time or will save you any money. If you buy it for $2,000 and then it needs a $3,000 service and $3,000 worth of parts, that's $8,000 and you can get a very nice 5513 Glossy dial for $8,000 right now that won't require months of service and parts hunting so it would be a break-even exercise and not worth your time. If its a Matte dial 5513 for $2,000 different conversation because that one would cost $12,000 and up and then you'd be getting a deal.

Reactions: astrum3d
#16 ·
I have 5512 which I obtained from a collector in LA. The 5512 and 5513 are very comfortable to wear. The domed crystal gives the 5512/5513 a very classic and warm look. The bracelets are lighter and the profile of the watch is lower than current iteration making it fit under dress shirt sleeves very easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.