WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Anything I need to know

688 views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  rcsub 
#1 ·
Is there anything I need to know about watches to make more informative watch purchases? I know quite a bit about brands, styles and types. Rolex isn’t exactly known for its beautiful movements because they barely have any clear face back watches. But would knowing more about movements help me?

Any information would be appreciated.

#5 ·
Rolex's are known for historically being tool watches after all. Expeditions, climbing mounters, diving oceans. No need for clear case backs and overly dressed up movements.

Reactions: rcsub
#7 ·
A lot...you shouldn’t rush into a big purchase until you do some research.

My advice is be aware of the mob mentality of the watch community. That being, if you read all our posts, you’ll may end up getting what the collective likes ie panda daytonas, batmen, and hulks.

#8 ·
Is there anything I need to know about watches to make more informative watch purchases? I know quite a bit about brands, styles and types. Rolex isn't exactly known for its beautiful movements because they barely have any clear face back watches. But would knowing more about movements help me?

Any information would be appreciated.
I will pose a question to your question. This is because none of us know how much you already know (or not know) and all answers we give are just a stab in the dark.

A suggestion from totally left field. Maybe, take a step back and access your current collection then decide where you want to get to. Rather than post a question like, "I bought X watch so what should I buy next?", you should ask yourself these questions:

1. What do you like in a watch?
2. What features, functions, complications attract you? e.g. date, chrono, GMT, perpetual calendar, moon phase, etc..
3. Do you want to build a nice collection that will be admired for a long time, or are you the sort to be random and build an eclectic collection?

Once you've accessed yourself, then you seek the answers to your original question. Example, if you like complications, e.g. chrono, you should research more about the types of designs used in chrono watches, like if they are column wheel or cam movements, etc. etc.

This will help you in your journey to understand and appreciate more about the watch rather than knowing if it has good re-sale value or not.

#9 ·
Thanks dogbert, that helps a lot, it would probably be easier to lay out what I don’t like in a watch. I don’t like tourbillons, moonphases, retrograde displays ( in most cases ), skeletonized dials, and obnoxious colors. There’s probably more that I can’t think of now. I can’t decide whether or not I want an eclectic collection or simply many Rolexes. It’s a constant struggle, every five minutes I change my mind I’m going nuts. Another Rolex or something from another brand like a Speedmaster, or a Royal Oak. Maybe I’ll just google it. That was a joke. People have been getting angry at me for not finding all the answers I’m looking for on google.

#10 ·
<snip>
...it would probably be easier to lay out what I don't like in a watch...
::
It's a constant struggle, every five minutes I change my mind I'm going nuts.
::
People have been getting angry at me for not finding all the answers I'm looking for on google.
Good. What you don't like is the polar opposite of what you like. So, that leaves watches with date complications, chrono, GMT/world time and perpetual calendars. If you don't like "obnoxious" colours, then black, blue and white are your standard colours.

As for that constant struggle and changing your mind every five minutes? That is down to the euphoria of watch buying. Else, you will need to seek treatment as you have n illness we can't resolve. Meantime, two tabs, three times a day. ;-)

Green Organism Font Button Plant

#12 ·
#13 ·
Again dogbert you wisdom is...wise ( my vocabulary sucks ), though I would like to add one thing and that’s for the most part only stainless steel or white gold watches look good on me. TT Rolexes and yellow gold anything usually clashes with my pasty white skin. Although the pink gold that Lange uses looks really good on me for some reason. Oh and can you write me a script for two of those pills a day?

#15 ·
Ok, your watch personality is a bit difficult to figure out. Let's play watch shrink, shall we? tell me a little bit about your watch history, what did trigger your interest for watches? what have you owned till now, and what have you sold? If I ask you to name, off the top of your head, 3 watches that you really like, regardless of the price, and three watches that you hate, what will they be? Do you want to have a dynamic collection that would evolve with time, or a static one, buy x watches, and stick with them? ideally, how many watches would you like to have?

Your time is over, we will continue next time. It will be 400$.

#16 ·
My watch story is long and complicated but I'll try to make it quick. My dad took me to what's now my Rolex AD on my 21st birthday and bought a new Explorer I. He then gave me the watch on his wrist which was an older Explorer I. I fell in love.

I bought a used TT 36mm Datejust ( was proper size at the time ) and borrowed occasionally my fathers solid gold Bulgari Bulgari chronograph. I went through a Cartier, bought and sold two other Bulgaris, one of those digital Breitlings ( which were cool back then ), a Rolex bubble back and a Patek Calatrava. There were a few more but I can't remember them all. This does not include the Elgin's and their lesser known watches I picked up here and there.

Dad passed, probate came and I had to sell everything, even the Patek, I weep daily. Now I own an Explorer I 214270 from 2010 I think, a Tissot Seastar, bought a Sub date, had it stolen, recently bought another one.

Favorite watches, Rolex Daytona SS white dial, Lange Daymatic, and third could be a Speedmaster or a Royal Oak, or newer in-house movement Vacheron Overseas, or Patek Nautilus 5711-1A.

I hate Hublot, El primero ( though I respect the movement ) anything with diamonds, funky colors ( not like the Pepsi or a few red markers on a dial ) but like Richard Mille and Franck Muller craziness ), tourbillons, skeletenized dials, moonphases, retrograde displays ( for the most part ), oh and only certain golds look good on me. I have pasty white skin.

On the the question of what kind of collection I would like this haunts me everyday. Do I just want more Rolex's or do I want a collection featuring many brands. I do t really care how many watches I have but I think somewhere between 4 and 8. I couldn't afford the servicing of many more. Hope this answers your questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.