Asking for some advice on my 1966 Rolex Submariner 5513
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Asking for some advice on my 1966 Rolex Submariner 5513

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Asking for some advice on my 1966 Rolex Submariner 5513

Hi, my step father left me this 1966 Rolex Submariner 5513. It is in a very bad way, so I hoping for some advice on how I should proceed? It also comes with its box and papers. The case is unpolished with an engraved caseback.
    Attached Images Attached Images

avusblue likes this.

Re: Asking for some advice on my 1966 Rolex Submariner 5513

Welcome to the forum. That's a beautiful watch you got here, and a nice gift from your step father, it's worth tons of money today. A good service, a nice strap, and it will be as good as new and ready to be worn. Enjoy it in good health

You'll have to include some more information on how you want to proceed.

If you want to keep it and wear it, then the cost of restoration is going to vary depending on to what level you wish to restore it and what kind of shape the movement is in, but it's not going to be cheap regardless. If it were mine the first thing I would do is get it to a Rolex Service Center and let them give you some options and an estimate. That will give you a reference should you decide to have it done by someone else.

If you want to sell it, then you might want to consider selling it as is. Assuming the movement is in the same shape as the rest of it, which seems likely, it might be worth $2-3K or so as it is now and any restoration isn't likely to increase that value beyond the cost of the restoration.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dfwcowboy View Post
    You'll have to include some more information on how you want to proceed.

If you want to keep it and wear it, then the cost of restoration is going to vary depending on to what level you wish to restore it and what kind of shape the movement is in, but it's not going to be cheap regardless. If it were mine the first thing I would do is get it to a Rolex Service Center and let them give you some options and an estimate. That will give you a reference should you decide to have it done by someone else.

If you want to sell it, then you might want to consider selling it as is. Assuming the movement is in the same shape as the rest of it, which seems likely, it might be worth $2-3K or so as it is now and any restoration isn't likely to increase that value beyond the cost of the restoration.
    You do realize that RSC don't do vintage restoration right?

Please be very careful on how you proceed. Rolex Service Centers operate within different guidelines depending on where you are on the planet.

My first question to you is where are you located?

If you're in a country (like the US) that has numerous independent Rolex qualified Watchmakers that also have Rolex parts accounts, using one of those would be my suggestion, as they'll do as much work (or as little) as you request

A Rolex AD will mostly (the location thing kicks in here) want to turn the watch back to its original condition, which may not be what you want or be what's best for its value

Tell us your location and we can probably help with more info
    Seiko skx 171 modded
    Seiko skx a53 modded - currently for sale on WUS only
    Some G's + Suunto Core all black

If you wouldn’t mind, please post a picture of watch with a note next to it with today’s date and your username. Failure to comply will result in thread deletion.

Thank you
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Unfortunately I can’t be of any additional assistance concerning the watch, but perhaps it’s time for a manicure?

Quote Originally Posted by mui.richard View Post
    Exactly! But I think OP wants to restore it to factory condition and is happy to send it to RSC. Horrid thought and sacrilegious for purists, I know....

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert_is_fat View Post
    Exactly! But I think OP wants to restore it to factory condition and is happy to send it to RSC. Horrid thought and sacrilegious for purists, I know....
    It is definitely sacrilegious! nothing beats the charm of the patina, and those nicks and scratches, I bet every single one can tell a great story; too bad it's not my birth year, I would have bought it in a jiffy, put a nato on it, and wore it as is

Quote Originally Posted by mui.richard View Post
    I do not. They certainly will restore vintage watches, but whether that's the manner of restoration the OP is after is anyone's guess.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information