Best pre-ceramic Submariner
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By shaunlawler
  • 2 Post By sd7r83
  • 1 Post By masterClock

Thread: Best pre-ceramic Submariner

Best pre-ceramic Submariner

I am in the market for a pre-ceramic Submariner.

I have previously owned a ceramic Submariner Date (116610LN) but found it was too big for my small wrists so, after going through several other watch brands, I have now come full-circle and want to pick up a smaller, pre-ceramic model.

I would like to get the best value for money possible but also not regret my decision as this will be very much a lifetime investment (unless I had to get rid of it under desperate circumstances).

I enjoyed having the date complication but also recognise that a lot of people like the classic look of the no date model as this harks back to the original model.

I also plan to wear this as my only watch (for now) so will be picking up some more straps i.e. nato, perlon etc so will be changing the strap quite a bit. This means that lug holes could be useful but I understand that strap changes can be done easy enough on the non-lug holes models as long as I have the right tweezer tool and the no-lug holes model looks a bit sleeker.

I also like the engraved rehaut which also adds a bit more bling/security but recognise that a lot of people hate this.

I have narrowed it down to the following models:

14060m - Year: 2007-2012
    Pros:
    - extremely wearable
    - upgraded movement over the 14060
    - lug holes
    - engraved rehaut
    - some of the latest models have the parachrom hairspring which is the same as the current 114060 ceramic model (2011-2012)

Cons:
    - hollow end links
    - does not have the cyclops

16610 - Year: 2002
    Pros:
    - lug holes
    - cyclops
    - solid end links

Cons:
    - no engraved rehaut

16610 - Year: 2007 - 2009
    Pros:
    - engraved rehaut
    - cyclops
    - solid end links

Cons:
    - no lug holes

I recognise that there are subtle differences, especially for the 16610 model, however I do not want to make a mistake on such a purchase that I intend to keep/wear for a long time. I would also like to make sure I choose a model that would likely go up in value for the future.

Based on my own assessment, I think I will be looking at one of the 16610 models as it has solid end links and is very much the full package for me with the date complication but I need to decide whether I value the engraved rehaut/no lug holes or non-engraved rehaut/lug holes model more.

As far as I can see from researching this, there is no 16610 model with both the engraved rehaut and lug holes. If there was this would be the model I would pick up as it has the best of both worlds for me.

I will be looking for a good condition model with no dings/marks that has full box and papers.

Based on the above models, does anyone have any suggestions on what I should go on the hunt for?

Appreciate any advice!
    Last edited by shaunlawler; April 3rd, 2020 at 17:04.
    macharle likes this.

Re: Best pre-ceramic Submariner

DavidSW. I am sure they can find what you are looking for if they don't have it already.

No cyclops is a con!?! :)
    5959HH and ProjectQuattro like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Inactive

Great write-up. I'm also in the market and this is a great comparative analysis for the various options out there.

Thanks for posting! Good luck.

After much research, I've now decided to get a 16610 2002 model as this benefits from lug holes, solid end links and no engraved rehaut.

This is the best balanced model based on my preferences of needing a date (as a daily watch) and changing the straps often.

I now see what people mean when they say that it is much more desirable without the engraved rehaut from pictures I have seen.

Thanks everyone for your wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by sd7r83 View Post
    No cyclops is a con!?! :)
    Only if the watch has a date window.
    Stefan Vorkoetter: Programmer, hobbyist, amateur watchmaker, pilot, and collector of fountain pens, slide rules, calculators, and watches.

::subwave:: Chronograph Sea-Gull "1963" ChronographVortix Evolution (Explorer/Ranger homage) Vortix Adventurer (Sub/Explorer homage) • Black Lagoon (Black Bay homage) • Velocimaster V-33 (X-33 homage) • Штурманские (Sturmanskie) Chronograph Полет (Poljot)/Sekonda Alarm • Восток Амфибия (Vostok Amphibia) 420 with Cavalry Dial • Timex Expedition

Quote Originally Posted by shaunlawler View Post
    After much research, I've now decided to get a 16610 2002 model as this benefits from lug holes, solid end links and no engraved rehaut.

This is the best balanced model based on my preferences of needing a date (as a daily watch) and changing the straps often.

I now see what people mean when they say that it is much more desirable without the engraved rehaut from pictures I have seen.

Thanks everyone for your wisdom

That’s exactly what I did late last year and I love my choice. 2002 is a sweet spot... Classic holes case with solid end links!
    Londonboy likes this.

Thread Information