WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Is the Black Bay 58 more formal/dress than Submariner? Opinion request

9K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  mcdooley 
#1 ·
I am very interested in the watch and maybe I have just been looking at pictures of it for too long but does the watch wear or feel more dressy and less sporty? Obviously the presence of gold in the BB58’s design plays a major role in that. But does the watch feel comfortable as a sports watch if say You dont very often wear a suit? Or should another Rolex/Tudor model be considered? Thank you

#2 ·
I am very interested in the watch and maybe I have just been looking at pictures of it for too long but does the watch wear or feel more dressy and less sporty? Obviously the presence of gold in the BB58's design plays a major role in that. But does the watch feel comfortable as a sports watch if say You dont very often wear a suit? Or should another Rolex/Tudor model be considered? Thank you
Opinion here.. The BB58 is definitely a sports watch. Looks like one. Wears like one. I don't own one but I have seen it in person on bracelet, nato and a rubber strap. It looks awesome in each of those outfits. Remember James Bond wore the Seamaster 300 on a nato with a suit. If JB can wear, you can obviously wear it.

That said, the BB58 can be worn with whatever attire you want to wear.

#6 ·
Well a Rolex man, or a man of Rolex will always say the Sub of course. But the true answer would be the Explorer. However given the new beefiness of the modern Sub, I'd say the 58 is a little less intense. Given that you've asked the question, I'd say this is a reletively important aspect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#24 ·
Well a Rolex man, or a man of Rolex will always say the Sub of course. But the true answer would be the Explorer. However given the new beefiness of the modern Sub, I'd say the 58 is a little less intense. Given that you've asked the question, I'd say this is a reletively important aspect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
+1 on the explorer. I don't like wearing my Sub with a dress shirt, but my explorer is perfect. It also flies under the radar much more than the sub with it's ceramic bezel.

#8 ·
Neither watch is by any stretch of the imagination a formal or dress watch. They are both clearly tool/sports watches. Sure, they are dressier than a Pelagos, but really, if you wear one with a suit then you're displaying one of two things: either you don't realise that dive watches 'shouldn't' be worn with suits, or you don't care and do it anyway.

If that's you, then all power to you, but there are still many people who would consider it a faux pas.

#9 ·
I agree with others. Both are sports watches and wear similar. BB58 is slightly thinner and the bezel is a bit less blingy than a modern ceramic sub, so it is probably a bit more under the radar.... which I like, but others may not. The gold is extremely subtle in person.

#10 ·
I mentioned this same perspective in a thread about the OP39. I would wear a dive watch in any occasion I 'would be willing' to wear rubber soled shoes, which includes a casual suit. Once leather soled dress shoes become the etiquette for proper attire, wear a proper dress watch or none at all.

That's also to say, anybody who doesn't own any formal leather sole dress shoes probably view that perspective as old-fashioned and wear a dive watch with any occasion.

James Bond, like Harry Potter, is a fictitious character.

#13 ·
I agree that this is historical etiquette, but most would agree that it is fairly antiquated and very few of us live in a world where this etiquette is critical to maintain as Western society in general becomes far more casual... and I think all the better for it. Captains of industry today are often well dressed, but wearing a

I do wear leather soled dress shoes.... but typically also a small diver.

Reactions: Eingram141
#19 ·
I had BB58 and Sub together, and IMO 58 looks a lot younger/more casual. The gold doesn't really come off like the gold in 2 tone watches, but rather a more stylish vintage vibe. I've worn both from shorts to suits, and have had no problems with either.

I sold my 58 recently, because it was way too redundant with the Sub. So if you already have a Sub, that's something to consider. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.