WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Black Bay Blue Dial

3K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  Feline Flieger 
#1 ·
Unfortunately it's going to be weeks before I can get into an AD to try one in the flesh. Nearly all of the pics I can find show a very flat, almost lifeless, blue painted dial. Yet some reviewers have used words like 'beautiful' and 'stunning'. I've found one pic that shows some light play, but I don't know how realistic it is.

So my question to you is - what's it REALLY like, and have you been able to catch it on camera?!

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

See less See more
#2 ·
I have seen two in the flesh.

I used to own a black dial version.

I would not say that the blue dial looks "lifeless"!

It is a nice blue but saying that, blue is my favourite colour.

It is a pretty awesome blue, and fantastic Watch, too!

#3 ·
Seen some in the flesh. Dark deep smooth blue. Its a nice blue, the lower pic in the middle is accurate in harsh sun light. Indoor would be darker

But for me, nothing beats the true black of the lacquered dial. Esp for this kind of watch. The deep gloss non-reflective black coupled with polished bezel and indices is simply amazing

#5 ·
Thanks folks.

I agree the black version looks amazing against the polished steel, it has a vintage motorcycle kind of vibe that is difficult to resist. But I plan to wear the heck out of this thing as a daily driver, and the case won't stay polished for long (I may even consider getting it brushed). It'll also probably spend most of its time on dark brown leather, and I'm liking the blue for a pop of colour. Obviously I'll compare both at the dealer when I get there, I just want to have a plan first.

So do you reckon that first picture I posted has been photoshopped, or can it really look like that in the right light? Is there some kind of metallic texture in there somewhere?

#6 ·
Nope. No metalic texture whatsoever. Its a lacquered gloss yet non-reflective kind. Ceramic dial is glossy and highly reflective. Lacquered is glossy smooth deep but not reflective. It kinda absorb any light to strengthen its solid color. Thats the kind of dial it got, both for blue and black.

Maybe its not photoshopped, maybe half the watch was not exposed by the same light as the other half of the dial

I think dark brown leather went well with black dial more. It got some vintage vibe to it. Maybe its just me. Anything works and everybody has their own taste :). Hope u got what u wanted!

#10 ·
I looked at the BB41 blue dial a few weeks ago. I ultimately went with the BB Blue diver, but the BB41 is on my future list. I really liked the blue dial - as someone mentioned above, it can appear dark blue/black or a lighter royal blue depending on the light and angle. Attached are a couple of pics I took at the AD. The dial appears very dark blue or black in the photos. You can also see how it compares to the matte black dial of the diver. Hope these help.

Analog watch Watch Wrist Watch accessory Fashion accessory

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

#12 ·
#14 ·
Thanks guys, those pics are amazing - it's hard to believe they are the same watch!

I'm definitely intrigued - I'm going to try and sneak in a run to the city just to check it out, hopefully I'll remember to take some pics and report back :-!

#15 ·
I just showed my wife the blue 32 and she’s a fan. I am much more fond of the standard Black Bay bracelet over the riveted diver bezel bracelet. I much more prefer the taper over the step down geometry. Wonder if this line will ever get the in-house movement treatment.

#16 · (Edited)
So my deployment was delayed and I found an excuse to spend a couple of days in the city :-!

I got to try both the black and the blue, in the 36 and 41. I could probably go either way, but I do like the 41 more - I'm a big fella anyway, but I also prefer the more open dial and (proportionately) smaller indices of the 41.

As I stated above the black is seriously impressive, but the blue is definitely where it is at for me. It is really understated - it doesn't grab attention, but you do get a hint of the depth and quality of it, and I think the blue (along with the snowflake hands) provide just the right amount of style and visual interest to balance an otherwise clean, almost austere dial.

I'd been forming this crazy idea that it has almost a 1930's/40's military look to it - back in the day where 'tool' watches were just excellent watches, and were finished accordingly. That no-nonsense, super-legible dial and hands and robust case, with just a little bit of polish and sparkle befitting its quality. I wasn't disappointed, I see it in the flesh too. There's just nothing else like it IMO. Even the OP and Explorer models it gets compared to don't tickle me the same way.

Watch Wrist Watch accessory Fashion accessory Analog watch

Analog watch Watch Wrist Watch accessory Fashion accessory

#17 ·
So my deployment was delayed and I found an excuse to spend a couple of days in the city :-!

I got to try both the black and the blue, in the 36 and 41. I could probably go either way, but I do like the 41 more - I'm a big fella anyway, but I also prefer the more open dial and (proportionately) smaller indices of the 41.

As I stated above the black is seriously impressive, but the blue is definitely where it is at for me. It is really understated - it doesn't grab attention, but you do get a hint of the depth and quality of it, and I think the blue (along with the snowflake hands) provide just the right amount of style and visual interest to balance an otherwise clean, almost austere dial.

I'd been forming this crazy idea that it has almost a 1930's/40's military look to it - back in the day where 'tool' watches were just excellent watches, and were finished accordingly. That no-nonsense, super-legible dial and hands and robust case, with just a little bit of polish and sparkle befitting its quality. I wasn't disappointed, I see it in the flesh too. There's just nothing else like it IMO. Even the OP and Explorer models it gets compared to don't tickle me the same way.

View attachment 14482011

View attachment 14482019
Definitely the 41. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 ·
By the way I just stumbled on this great photo posted a couple of years ago by brother nelick and really wanted to share it:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

It's the 36, and in black obviously, but it's the only pic I've seen that shows any battle scars. I think it's one of the reasons I'm liking the blue over the black - I think the black dial's great 'party trick' is how it blings against the polished surfaces, which is diminished a bit as the polish fades. The blue dial just makes me happy in its own right. Plus my girlfriend thinks I look hot in blue ;-)

#23 ·
By the way I just stumbled on this great photo posted a couple of years ago by brother nelick and really wanted to share it:

View attachment 14492415

It's the 36, and in black obviously, but it's the only pic I've seen that shows any battle scars. I think it's one of the reasons I'm liking the blue over the black - I think the black dial's great 'party trick' is how it blings against the polished surfaces, which is diminished a bit as the polish fades. The blue dial just makes me happy in its own right. Plus my girlfriend thinks I look hot in blue ;-)
I LOVE the "battle scars" pic! I, too, appreciate a watch that is well-worn. Particularly one as beautiful as the BB. Thanks for posting that.

Here's this afternoon's light, it almost looks like a gilded blue in this light - another opportunity to show how this blue morphs and evolves.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Reactions: Sebast975 and thx67
#21 ·
I was actually checking the BB41 out a while back, but since I already own a GADA I ended up passing on it. It is the only Tudor I have ever been interested in (GMT too I guess) and I consider it a great GADA watch. I was actually leaning towards the blue also for the same reasons you stated above. I actually thought the 36 seemed extremely small and looked a bit crowded and odd. I’d definitely go with the 41, it looks good on you.

#25 ·
Well, I did it - I got a deal and I pulled the trigger. I'll pick it up on the weekend :-d

FWIW chronext no longer seems to have this model available. The AD's price jumped at the end of the year, but I was able to haggle them down to a bit under last year's RRP, and with the new 5 year warranty I'm happy with that.

It's going to be a long week though, so if anyone can share any pics to help me out I'd really appreciate it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.