WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Black Bay vs Black Bay 58

21K views 50 replies 36 participants last post by  Grimlock_1 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Been on WUS a long time but never posted here before. The short version of my story is that my Fiancee would like to buy a watch as a gift to commemorate our wedding late next year. She asked what I wanted and I thought immediately 41mm Black bezel BB but lots of online friends have steered me towards the BB58. Since there is a ridiculous waiting list on this piece in Australia, I have already registered her name on the waiting list.

In the meantime, I have tried a 41mm on and was not overwhelmed by its thickness. The only drawback to the 41 to me would be trying to wear it with cuffs (which I don't do much) so I'm not entirely ruling the 41mm out just yet, even though, we have our name down for the 58. I guess living in Australia, for most of the year I'm wearing watches with rolled up or shorter sleeves.

For reference, I am 6"1 and have a 7 inch wrist. My Oris 65 fits my wrist perfectly at 40mm.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is I am scared of waiting for the 58 and thinking its too small. The AD said to me he would try and get me access to a 58 to try on at some stage but did not ease my mind by saying he thought they were too small.
Would love to hear your views and any wrist shots with your wrist size would help too.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have just gotten my 58 and it really sits well under the cuff. However, I am skinny and my wrists are small at only 6.1", which I why the BB41 is too big for me whereas the 58 fits just fine.

For your case, the BB41 might be just nice, however, I am not sure if it will fit nicely under the cuff as I did not test out that part at the AD.

#3 ·
I loved the Black Bay the moment it came out. Already owning the Chrono Blue I passed on the first two incarnations but when the ETA Black Bay Black came out I bought it. I felt the same about the thickness and it eventually wrote me down and I flipped both Tudors for an Explorer.

The 58 addresses everything people don't like about Black Bays. I've owned mine for about 14 months now and still love it. It's a keeper... Get the 58. There's a reason that this watch is so hard to get. Every other Black Bay is easy to get. This will be a touchstone for a wedding that you want to have and love. If you are already concerned about the thickness my thoughts are it will only get worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#4 ·
I haven't seen the BB58 in person, but I'm totally happy with my 41mm Black Bay and the way it fits (I also have a 7 inch wrist). I have the ETA version so it does fit a little slimmer than the current model, but I've never had an issue with it slipping under the cuff.

It will feel chunkier than your Oris 65 (which I've also owned), but go with what you like and suits you best! Congrats on the upcoming wedding!

#5 ·
My height and wrist size are roughly the same as yours. I've tried out a friend's BB41 for a few days and I didn't love the height and slab sides. I have a vintage Tudor Sub that has almost exactly the same proportions as the BB58, and it's perfect. I'd get the 58 if I had the choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
A few years ago, wearying of the girth of my PO 45 (8500) I went to try on a BB, with specs indicating it may fit the bill of a diver with presence but with a little less overwhelming bulk. I passed on it as the slab sides made it appear pretty much as thick as the PO. Fast forward a few years and I picked up a 58 which is absolutely perfect.

I have a larger wrist than yours - as well as being 6 foot 4 and north of 200 pounds - and could happily carry of that PO - it was very much the thickness and not the diameter that eventually turned me off it. I’d advocate the BB58 especially for a lifetime watch which I imagine you wish a wedding present to be. I feel the 58 will see me into old age where I also suspect a big slab of steel would look increasingly incongruous.

Finally, it addresses bloat concerns while absolutely maintaining wrist presence. This is not a small watch on anyone bar the biggest wrists - that it could be construed as such is IMHO only possible as product of perceptions slightly skewed by passing fashion. I repeat, I say this as someone who can comfortably wear the goliaths and have done for years.

#10 ·
If I may explain myself a little. Many years ago, when I was first getting into watches I bought an Omega Speedmaster 3510.50 Or Reduced. I still have it but have always thought it was on the small side for me. That watch is supposed to be 39 mm but wears quite small and I'm a little concerned if I go for the 58 I might feel the same in the future and I certainly don't want that. As long as you guys think It has wrist presence and isn't too small. The AD planted a seed in my mind when I asked him whether he would go for the 58 and he said it was too small.

#14 ·
I’m 6’ 4” with a 7” wrist and I find the BBGMT to be a very comfortable size. I wear it to work most days with double cuffs and it’s okay, it might be a bit of an issue with a tighter cuff. I guess it depends on how often you are wearing it with a shirt and what type of shirt.

#16 ·
Here's a quick wrist shot on a 6.75" wrist. I've had two BB 41s, and while they weren't technically too big I much prefer the BB58, I find the proportions so much better. It's not only the thickness, but I also found the lug to lug length off. I always felt the BB would be perfect if they used classic sub proportions, which they've done with the 58. I've also had the Oris 65 40mm, and the BB58 feels more substantial, it's not as thin and light as the Oris.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

#18 ·
Objectively, the BB58 cannot be too small for anyone. Arguably, it's the right size, or even too big, when you look historically at watches, and what could be seen to be a sensible and comfortable size for a wristwatch you have to wear every day. Of course, subjectively, given people are now used to larger watches and wanting a fashion accessory rather than a timepiece, it may be too small for your taste.

I have the BB58 on a 6.5" wrist. I wouldn't want it any bigger and would quite happily shave a millimeter or two off the diameter, lug to lug and thickness if I could. I would also make the bracelet more comfortable for smaller wrists. Having said that, it's pretty close to perfect in my view, and sits in the "Goldilocks zone" of sizing for both small and larger wrists alike. What really makes it is the thinner height profile I think, which lends it an air of class compared to the slight brashness of the girth of the 41mm models.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

#19 ·
I’ve got skinny wrists and found the BB58 too small and much prefer the BBGMT I now have which fits fine under a shirt cuff. As mentioned though all down to personal preference. For me a dive watch needs a bit of heft to it and the BB58 was too small and dainty for me, that and I also couldn’t live with all the gold font on the dial and bezel.

#20 ·
I've got skinny wrists and found the BB58 too small and much prefer the BBGMT I now have which fits fine under a shirt cuff. As mentioned though all down to personal preference. For me a dive watch needs a bit of heft to it and the BB58 was too small and dainty for me, that and I also couldn't live with all the gold font on the dial and bezel.
It's hardly dainty, and I also have skinny wrists. To each his own.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

#24 ·
yeah you have to order the 58 bc you may never see one without putting your name down. So once it’s in stock then you can actually make that comparison. Unfortunately you may have to play the AD relationship game. Best of luck, I received a watch for my wedding as well.

#25 ·
I have almost 7inch wrist. Went to an AD and tried both the BB41 and BB58. Maybe it's because I've always loved vintage watches and smaller size in general but the BB41 just felt like having a big hunk of steel on the wrist. Prefer something that somewhat you forget about once you put it on and that is exactly how the BB58 feels,

#26 ·
We've got some crossover watch attraction. I'm an average-size guy with an average wrist -- 5-foot-10, 170 pounds, 6.75 wrists -- and I have the BB41, blue dial, without the dive bezel. I like a lot, as it was the first nice watch I ever bought myself, but it is about as big as I'll go. Yeah, it's got the slab sides, but they don't bother me, and I don't wear many suits and dress shirts, so sliding under the cuff is not a concern. I think it's got a great wrist presence. The blue dial also has a nice. rich tone. I also have the Oris 65 with the bronze ring on the bezel. Love it, and at 40mm it's perfect for my wrist. This brings me back to the BB58, which I keep pondering myself. Love the look. My sense is that at 39mm it will have that same wrist feel as the Oris. I'd say pull the trigger on the BB58. If you feel it's too small, once you get it, you can flip it very quickly for what you spent on it, and can find something that works better on your wrist.

#29 ·
I was told by both ADs that I put my name down with that it could be ...........wait for it.............. 2 YEARS here in Australia!!!! Hence with our Wedding in November next year, I have put my name down now in the hope that my Fiancee can get her hands on it before the Wedding as it is her plan for me to wear it for the ceremony. Who knows how things will turn out.

#31 ·
I'm on 5 waiting lists, have called maybe 8. I've heard a few weeks to a year. Some want no money upfront, some $500, and some full payment. The two have called for full payment have also said they have no idea when it will come in, and said it could take up to a year. As I said to one sales agent, it may be easier to get a Daytona!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.