WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

BLNR or ...

914 views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Gunnar_917 
#1 ·
The various Rolex scarcity/market price increase/bubble threads on the forums made me think if I should sell my BLNR high and get something else that's not necessarily watch related. I bought my BLNR before the price started to skyrocket and I still remember the day I walked to my local AD and tried on Hulk and Batman that we're available in the store at MSRP "gasp"!!! I still have the picture from that day

Anyway, say the market price of a LNIB BLNR is around $15k and you have a bunch other watches including Rolexes in your collection what would tempt you to part with your BLNR?

In my case I've been thinking about using the proceed to upgrade my mint autocross/track day toy, a 50th anniversary Corvette C5 Z06 with either the last year of C6 Z06 or Grand Sport or early C7 with Z51 package (I know...a lot of Vette specific abbreviations lol). The BLNR is the favorite in my collection/rotation but I have other Tudor/Rolex in my collection so if I sell my BLNR I'll miss it but not too much. May be this is the peak of BLNR price and I can sell it high, wait a few years and buy another one at a lower price? Notice the question mark since I don't know if that's the case lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
If you are thinking to sell out and not get back in the game, then the answer is pretty obvious YES. Get out while you’re ahead is what everyone says.

However, if after you’ve blown all the profits from the price increase into a new track day toy - a 50th anniversary Corvette C5 Z06 with either the last year of C6 Z06 or Grand Sport or early C7 with Z51 package - and then regret and want to get back in? Then, NO.

One thing is for sure. Rolex has only ever gone up. Yes, prices will normalise in the far future and get back to MSRP. What that MSRP is can be anyone’s guess but you can be sure it will be at least 10 to 20% above today’s MSRP. So you’ll be buying a watch which is more expensive than what you paid for back in the day.

There’s been forum posters who have regretted selling their watches and are actively searching for the model they let go. Don’t be one of them.

If I were you, I wouldn’t let go of my BLNR if it is the favorite in my collection but would rather sell the other Tudor/Rolex.

#4 ·
If you are truly entertaining its sale, I'd recommend asking dealers what they'd offer you. Likely, it's going to be less than you expected. Asking price is not always what they're receiving, and you're going to eat it on the front end. If 9k gets you to where you need to be to upgrade the track car, and you're good on giving up the GMT, then go for it! If you expect to sell it yourself on this forum or other sites... You may have to ask less than market as you provide no guarantee, and are not a brick and mortar. If you're not looking for a quick sale, move it yourself and pocket more.

Correction: Looks like Bob's is offering 11.5k for your model. Crown and Caliber is another option, but do not advertise their offer. Worth considering, though.

#7 ·
Watch and car amateur here.

Chances are, if you sell your BLNR, you may never be able to replace it. On the other hand, this Vette upgrade seems important to you if you are considering selling your favorite watch to make it happen. Let's do some math, shall we?

The average price on Car Guru for your car is $25K (30.000 miles).
BLNR can be found in the US on Chrono24 as low as $14K from trusted sellers.

Scenario (A):

At best, you sell your car for $25K, and your watch for $14K, that's a total of $39K.

Now, an early model (2014) C7/z51 3LT with around 30.000 miles will cost you... around $39K.

Ok, you made the deal, you are happy with you new C7, but every time you check your watch, it's not the BLNR... but what the heck, you are happy.

Fast forward 2024, your C7 (2014) is ten years old, and that C8 has been kicking your ass on the track for 5 years, it's time to upgrade: you can find a very nice early model C8 for $50K, you can sell your C7 for $20K (base model). At this moment, you don't have BLNR, and you have to shell out $30K in order to get the C8.

Alternative scenario (B):

You keep BLNR. You have no garanties that you will be able to buy another one.

You keep 50th anniversary Corvette C5 Z06. This car is underrated for the time being; 50th anniversary, first Z06 moniker since 1963, only Vette with a hardtop, only Vette with a totally different roof line, exclusive to Z06.

Fast forward 2024, 5 years since front engine Vettes have been discontinued, some older Vettes gained value, one of them is 50th anniversary Corvette C5 Z06 (now, a 21 years old vintage Vette); it is worth $50K. Same as early model C8. Now it's time to upgrade your Vette.

To sum it up:

Scenario (A): To get C8, you have to pay $30K, no BLNR.

Scenario (B): You get C8, pay $0K, and still have BLNR.

Hope it helped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.