WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Coincidence? Or more at play

2K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  GrussGott 
#1 ·
So I just picked up an Omega AT and I was going to (temporarily) remove myself from the seemingly endless waitlist of the GMT Batman at my local AD. Called him up yesterday, and he explained that as of Monday of this week, they are no longer affiliated with Rolex??

As I’m very new to the Rolex ring, and have never owned one, i wonder what gives? Couldn’t get a peep out of him.

Would a decision to part ways like this always fall on the AD? Or does Rolex ever step in and cut ties with shops?

Sorry for the ignorance, I’ve never owned a Rolex but the Batman is a grail of mine; I guess I’ll have to fill up the gas tank to get one now when the time comes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I think it goes both ways when it comes to ending business ties between AD's and Rolex. Not sure which is more common, but I have read here and have heard from people that AD's are dropped by Rolex for various reasons; including not buying enough watches that Rolex expects (I think Rolex mostly sends Datejusts and precious metal watches nowadays) and the AD not moving enough pieces to continually buy up the stuff that no one wants to buy. Rolex can also choose to not renew the contract once it ends (AD's also have that option as well). It could be that Rolex demands that the displays and store gets renovated and a prominent section dedicated to Rolex, paid by the AD, which some can't or won't do (I'll note this is a pretty common request amongst car dealerships too, I remember a few years ago, as GM was shrinking it's dealer footprint, it made renovation demands, and those that couldn't/wouldn't follow suit were dropped).

AD's can also drop Rolex or chose to not renew for various reasons, such as those listed above, but also maybe because they feel they can spend the money buying and selling other brands that can fulfill customer requests/demands better than Rolex.

#5 ·
Thanks for the insight! Just a bit strange to me. This company in a very affluent part of Nashville had Rolex since before I can remember. They hosted semi-annual Rolex events, etc. I guess mum's the word on these things, as I'm sure I'll never find out. The rep acted like I offended him when I asked why lol

#21 ·
Source?

#16 ·
Rolex is cutting ties with the smaller ADs.

It actually has been happening for years.

For whatever reason Rolex can't, or won't, keep its ADs stocked. Obviously the solution is fewer ADs.
This. Part of the 2015-2025 strategic plan to limit supply and outlets to build demand, raise prices, and move Rolex into Patek territory with Tudor moving up to fill the Rolex gap.

#9 ·
I was in Vancouver looking at Audemars Piguet about 6 months ago. The one authorized dealer said they were not getting any new stock. They speculated that AP was going to open a boutique.

I’ve heard brands are trying to cut out ADs and sell directly to customers. This increases their profits and also limits supply hitting the grey market.

#10 ·
Hoping this doesn't go the way most threads tend to go ie "go grey" etc etc. At least I'm "IBTL" if it does! From what I know of ADs, Rolex make huge demands on their ADs to the point some of them get fed up with it. They won't have some brands in the same window, expect high percentages of window space in relation to other brands. Assuming they clear out their windows, they can only stock them with datejusts which is a story for another day and may get this thread locked sooner than later. Then they have to explain to customers walking in off the street that despite them pointing at the Crown over the door and "its a current model, its on their website" they cannot have a sub and best case they can leave their phone number and expect a call within the next 2 years, although that phone number may well end up in the bin when the customer leaves the shop as their next allocation is accounted for. Excluding us nutters here, they dont understand this supply issue and it gets their backs up. On top of that you have some ADs being told to hold onto the box and cards for 2 years (I think, maybe 1). Again, im fine with that but if youre new to Rolex you may not be so happy so they risk alienating loyal customers who have bought 8 Breitling, 10 Omega and 3ct platinum engagement rings when the R word is mentioned. Ive also noticed my AD is a bit jumpy when youre asking about Rolex. If I ask the same of Omega, hes happy to talk about supply, known issues, delays in shipping, repair centre turnarounds etc. So the answer to your question is probably "more at play".

#23 ·
Maybe all the ADs caught wind that Rolex will be going direct. So that's when they partnered up with greys, selling them out the backdoor. Because if Rolex does go direct, at least the greys will have the last of the stock to split profits with ADs.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.