colour change

Thread: colour change

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Daytona Gold Crown Changes Colour

i recently took out my daytona from the box to wear for CNY. To my dismay, the gold plating on the 1st button actually discolor/ oxidize or whatever it is. It has been kept in the box for abt 2 years and now the gold has turned red.... :( can someone tell me what is happening to my daytona .... is this normal? How can I return it to its original brilliance :' ...

The second pic gives a close up on the discolored button ........ anyone out there who knows what's going on please help me. :thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by torristo; February 10th, 2008 at 09:01. Reason: To insert pics

Re: Daytona Gold Crown Changes Colour

Maybe some lubricant seeped out while in storage?

Be sure the buttons and crown are locked down in their watertight mode and try light scrubbing with an old toothbrush and some soapy watter?
    sj

Inactive

Re: colour change

Experts correct me if I am wrong, because I have never owned a Daytona and know little about them, but I don't think any of the parts are plated. Aren't they all solid 18K Gold. If something is on the button it should just wipe off. 18K Gold will not discolor or tarnish at all.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

you are correct nothing is ever plated on the daytona or any Rolex.

thanks , i try to clean . will post picture after :thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vjb.knife View Post
    Experts correct me if I am wrong,
    If something is on the button it should just wipe off. 18K Gold will not discolor or tarnish at all.
    This is not true. Gold alloys tarnish.

I won't call myself an expert, but I do know a thing or two about metalurgy.

Pure gold (24 karat/part, 100%) being near the top of the noble scale is almost perfectly inert, therefore virtually immune to oxidation and tarnish. High grade jewelry alloy (18 karat/part, 75%) is very resistant to tarnish but certainly not proof to it, in particular when the article is not worn for a long period.
    Typical additional constituents used to create gold alloys include copper and silver. Color, be it yellow, white, "Everose", et cetera, of the alloy is determined by ratio between adulterants. The copper component prenominally, being much nearer to the base (active) end of the noble scale tarnishes very quickly while in air contact.
    That looks to be the case here. It will polish out easily. Unscrew the pusher lock and you can get a little deeper. If it doesn't come out with just a soft cloth use a bit of metal polish.

If you wear it more often it will help maintain the luster of the gold. Besides, it's a beautiful watch and deserves to be worn.
    Mike

"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by vjb.knife View Post
    Experts correct me if I am wrong, because I have never owned a Daytona and know little about them, but I don't think any of the parts are plated. Aren't they all solid 18K Gold. If something is on the button it should just wipe off. 18K Gold will not discolor or tarnish at all.
    You are right,Daytonas are not plated. But I would not think it's impossible that it will tarnish.
    Rolex Oyster Perpetual DateJust

Rolex Explorer II SOLD =(

Quote Originally Posted by ttock View Post
    This is not true. Gold alloys tarnish.

I won't call myself an expert, but I do know a thing or two about metalurgy.

Pure gold (24 karat/part, 100%) being near the top of the noble scale is almost perfectly inert, therefore virtually immune to oxidation and tarnish. High grade jewelry alloy (18 karat/part, 75%) is very resistant to tarnish but certainly not proof to it, in particular when the article is not worn for a long period.
    Typical additional constituents used to create gold alloys include copper and silver. Color, be it yellow, white, "Everose", et cetera, of the alloy is determined by ratio between adulterants. The copper component prenominally, being much nearer to the base (active) end of the noble scale tarnishes very quickly while in air contact.
    That looks to be the case here. It will polish out easily. Unscrew the pusher lock and you can get a little deeper. If it doesn't come out with just a soft cloth use a bit of metal polish.

If you wear it more often it will help maintain the luster of the gold. Besides, it's a beautiful watch and deserves to be worn.
    That's correct,18k gold is resistant not proof. Totally agree with ttock

Wear it frequently,don't wear it during CNY only

Quote Originally Posted by torristo View Post
    i recently took out my daytona from the box to wear for CNY. To my dismay, the gold plating on the 1st button actually discolor/ oxidize or whatever it is. It has been kept in the box for abt 2 years and now the gold has turned red.... :( can someone tell me what is happening to my daytona .... is this normal? How can I return it to its original brilliance :' ...

The second pic gives a close up on the discolored button ........ anyone out there who knows what's going on please help me. :thanks
    Hey,how old is the watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkangel View Post
    Hey,how old is the watch?
    i bgt in 2003/04 , seldom wear bco looks "Ah pek " ( half gold )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information