WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Crystal and dial question

714 views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Daniel234563456 
#1 ·
Folks,
I have a week old 16610 that I took with me abroad and enjoying it very much!
I have a question about something that I noticed. I would really appreciate if owners can chime in.
The crystal looks like it has a lot of white spots, most of them are scratches and look like they're from the outside, but some of them, I can not tell... My 114270 has a few scratches but it doesn't look like that... I wonder what it can be...? Appreciate the input guys!

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Theres a chance it had a scuff against concrete. Sounds dramatic but that can then be polished to soften the scratches but debris can then get in the scratches and show up like that. I bashed one of my watches a few years ago and it had similar marks.

#7 ·
does not sound out of this world I'd say... Maybe it fell on the ground at some point... I don't know the history of the watch but what strikes me is that it's in such a good condition for its age, yet the crystal is in the worst condition... I provided another picture after some cleaning around the cyclops, it was just dry soap...

Attachments

#15 ·
If it bothers you it's easy to have a new crystal fitted but only get a gen' one. Personally I'd leave it as is. My old 16800 has a large chip at 5 o'clock. I still remember doing it with a huge wack on an aircraft door frame in the early 90's. I never had it changed as it still passes the WP test.

View attachment 14463965
really appreciate your response!
My sub passed its WP too and I am leaning towards leaving it like that. My Explorer 114270 has some of this too but not in this quantity... I think I have one spot on the underside though which really makes me think it was sealed like that back then in 99 when it was assembled. My dealer which is a watchmaker is extremely responsive and we keep really close relationship. If there's any problem, I am sure he will help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.