Crystal glare Rolex v Tudor
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Crystal glare Rolex v Tudor

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Crystal glare Rolex v Tudor

Hi all. I’m right on the cusp of pulling The trigger on a everyday piece. My budget puts me into entry level preowned Rolex. I really like the 116000 with the blue Explorer dial. However, even preowned that’s out of reach. Here’s the thing: knowing what they go for used seems unwise with 3 little kids at home. Everyone’s calculus is different on how much is too much, but 3k is what I can spend in good conscience. I only mention this because it contradicts my thoughts of saving up for the 116000.

Long explanation. Sorry. It has me looking at the Black Bay 36 in blue. Different watch, but there’s a lot to like. Similar case profile, blue, good WR, I really like the dial. One of the criticisms of the BB36 is that there’s a lot of glare. Putting aside that I think it’s silly to have a beautiful dial and not use existing technology to make sure there’s no glare on it, I wonder is the BB36’s glare worse than Rolex models? I borrowed a 14010 for a bit and I got used to the glare and I wonder if the BB36 is somehow worse?

If it’s a stupid question, my apologies. Thanks for everyone’s time.
    panzerr likes this.

Re: Crystal glare Rolex v Tudor

AFAIK, Rolex & Tudor use AR coating on the bottom side of the crystal. I notice no difference in glare on my Rolex & Tudor GMTs.
    dP
    mui.richard likes this.

My Tudor watches have less glare and higher legibility. My Omega SMP doesn’t even look like it has a crystal its that clear. Both my Rolex lag behind in the anti-reflective stakes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Not a stupid question at all. Im completely with you on glare being a problem. It was one of the reasons I moved on my seadweller. Having said that, the BB36 is a pretty glossy dial but ive found all my Tudors have been pretty legible in comparison to the Rolex. If youre anti glare, its a few more £$ but take a look at a Pelagos. For legibility, nothing touches it as its all matte and has great AR. In bright sunlight, covered in water, it still looks like the crystal is missing although I appreciate its nothing like a BB36.

Tried to do some comparison shots (sorry, I don’t have a black dial Rolex) I go with equal on the glare. But, I had to tilt them just right to get the glare shots. Glare on either is never an issue for me.

Name:  D7414DD1-0BC3-43F1-AB4E-17E803476ACD.jpeg
Views: 70
Size:  1.60 MB

Name:  AFC87143-91B3-4275-8E4F-6B85EC0E95F7.jpeg
Views: 73
Size:  1.48 MB

Name:  57FE647D-67F6-405F-96D4-E32FFAC94FA7.jpeg
Views: 78
Size:  1.54 MB
    Last edited by WatchBri; April 18th, 2020 at 21:52.
    Kirkawall likes this.

Do Rolex use AR coating at all aside under cyclops lens? Looking at my watches the Rolex are by far the most reflective.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Scrumpy View Post
    Do Rolex use AR coating at all aside under cyclops lens? Looking at my watches the Rolex are by far the most reflective.

Newer Rolex / post 2016 have triple AR on the cyclops - on the top and bottom of the sapphire (where the cyclops sits), and the bottom of the cyclops. Though it also depends on the batch - there seems to be quite a lot of irregularities on Rolex glass right now, but they are all amazing quality.

Prior to this is was just AR on the top of the crystal and the bottom of the cyclops.

And earlier still, just a single AR, or no AR at all.

Tudor have AR on the bottom of the crystal - which I actually prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluco View Post
    Newer Rolex / post 2016 have triple AR on the cyclops - on the top and bottom of the sapphire (where the cyclops sits), and the bottom of the cyclops. Though it also depends on the batch - there seems to be quite a lot of irregularities on Rolex glass right now, but they are all amazing quality.

Prior to this is was just AR on the top of the crystal and the bottom of the cyclops.

And earlier still, just a single AR, or no AR at all.

Tudor have AR on the bottom of the crystal - which I actually prefer.
    Rolex never put any AR coating on the top side of their sapphire crystals. That is a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by mui.richard View Post
    Rolex never put any AR coating on the top side of their sapphire crystals. That is a fact.
    You are correct. As a matter of fact both Rolex and Tudor do not use any AR coating on their crystal whatsoever. Rolex only have it on the cyclops.

Quote Originally Posted by mui.richard View Post
    On the top of the crystal underneath where the cyclops is - that’s a fact.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information