WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Date Wheel Issues on Tudor In House Movements

4K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  natesen 
#1 · (Edited)
I have 4 Tudors with in house movements that have the date function. Both a Pelagos LHD and Black Bay S&G had to go back for service because the date wasn’t centered on the date window.... it was too high. I know this was a known issue. Has anyone had jumping dates with their Tudors. I’m seeing this happen on a Pepsi GMT. Attached is a picture shortly after I got it and it was already having date change issues. So last week I was away traveling and I was pretty sure it was set correctly before I left... 22nd. I came back the 28th and and date was on the 5th. I thought maybe I set it wrong since I’ve been traveling a lot and just didn’t set it correctly before I left or my winder wasn’t giving it enough turns or something. BTW using Wolf Winders set at 600 total turns per day, 300 in each direction. But the time itself was pretty much dead on... a second a day fast... just the date was off. So I set it again the 30th and this morning the 2nd the date shows the 3rd. I guess this means a 3rd Tudor is going back for service..... I’m thinking this is trend with Tudors. Not really feeling confident in keeping these after their warranty is up especially if Tudor wants to charge Rolex prices for overhauls.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Yea... I have to admit I’m a high volume watch wh*re. I’m in and out of a lot of different watches and I do start to noticed trends. For example 2/4 Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial’s started to run fast after a year or so.... like 10-13 seconds per day fast. Had an Omega tech tell me something about the DLC coating on one of the parts was coming off the earlier movements because of a supplier issue. Saw 3/6 Piguet based Omega movements have function issues where the watch or Chrono would just stop working or winding. 3/6 B01 Breitlings have bad reversers. So no one’s perfect especially with these “newer” in house movements. I really wish Tudor would do at least what Breitling and Omega did and give 5 year warranty’s. Especially when the consumers are now the BETA testers it seems.

#5 ·
Biggest issue with Rolex is good luck getting a stainless sport model for MSRP. I’m still on the wait list for the Rolex Pepsi. Seems crazy now. A few years back I was able to get a small discount on a Batman and only wait a couple months. Hulk was about a month also. I just got my Root Beer this past May. I also travel extensively... spend half my time in Asia and no matter where I go there’s never any sport models in any of the dealers. But you’re right.... no issues with any of the Rolex’s. Makes me wonder how similar if any the movement’s of Rolex and Tudor are related along with their QC department.

Attachments

#6 ·
Sorry to hear about that, it's time to make the warranty work.

#7 ·
Not sure if that's a Tudor specific issue. I had the same problem with my Explorer 2 that I bought brand new in 2015. But no problem at all with the date on my Black Bay S&G.

With the Explorer 2 the issue developed after about a month from purchase and after servicing at the RSC that issue was corrected and never reoccurred.

brother of OoO

#8 ·
By the sound of it you've been very unlucky. I know the GMT has a known issue but not the Pelagos etc. At one point I had a Pelagos, North flag and 2 BBs and none of them had a single issue. Still have the NF, Pelagos and 1 BB and they're all faultless. Best of luck resolving the issues.

#11 ·
Currently traveling in Asia so will have to wait until I get back stateside. The Pelagos I have is the LHD so those did have known date wheel issues. The S&G being a more recent release I never heard about having issues before. But both those are alignment issues and just sloppy QC I think. The GMT jumping dates could be be some missing teeth in the wheel which is what someone suggested. Sucks because that’s my favorite one of all the Tudors I own and the one I planned on keeping.... until the Rolex Pepsi came in at least.

#12 ·
I have 3 Tudors, one is vintage, none including:

Black Bay GMT
Black Bay Chrono

...have any issues....

Just remember, for every 1 having issues in a forum there are 100 having no issues.

Cheers.

#13 ·
The slightly high date wheel to be honest most people probably wouldn’t notice. I have a Breitling Superocean Special that has this issue and one of my good watch buddies said it probably wouldn’t bother him and he would let it go. I probably wouldn’t have really looked that closely if it wasn’t for the other threads on the Pelagos and GMT. But once it’s been seen it can’t be unseen. 😬. I’m attaching a picture of the Superocean and you guys can comment if it would bother you. The Pelagos LHD was worse and the S&G was the same level as the Superocean. The jumping date wheel on my GMT I would say is a real issue. The high date wheel is more cosmetic and lack of attention to detail.

Attachments

#15 ·
I agree with you regarding the warranty. I wish Tudor would step up their warranty to be inline with other brands who have in-house movements. New movements as you noted tend to have issues once they are released in mass into the real world. I would feel more comfortable with an in-house movement if it was backed by the longer warranty offered on other brands like JLC, Rolex, Omega, Breitling, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.