Which Datejust over $10k?

Thread: Which Datejust over $10k?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Which Datejust over $10k?

My dad is retiring in a few weeks and his company is giving him a Rolex to commemorate the occasion. He told me that the Seiko I gave him as a gift years ago suits him just fine, and he knows I have an interest in watches, so he's generously decided to give the Rolex to me, and he wants me to pick one out.

The default model they offer is a Datejust 36 (steel/yellow gold, fluted bezel, jubilee bracelet, white Roman dial), which is listed at $11,200, but I can choose any Datejust (36 or 41), Oyster Perpetual, or Cellini around the same price. If my choice is more expensive, I can pay the difference at a 20% discount; with this in mind $15k is probably my upper limit.

I'm a man in my early 30s and I work in SF bay area tech; most days I wear a button-down shirt and jeans. I'd ideally like a watch that fits this general formality level, but can be dressed down to a T-shirt and up to a suit if possible. I also own a Nomos Tangente (formal-ish IMO) and a Junghans Max Bill that I keep casual on a NATO strap. I'd been thinking of rounding out my collection with an Omega Speedmaster Pro before my dad offered, but this Rolex will probably be my last timepiece acquisition, and hopefully my everyday wear.

The Cellini models are beautiful but they're fairly formal and start at $15,200; the Oyster Perpetual models are all under $6k. That leaves Datejust, and I'm thinking 36mm instead of 41 for a 6.5" wrist. My generation seems to consider visible (i.e. yellow/rose) gold ostentatious, so steel/white gold might be best. I like the fluted bezel/jubilee bracelet combo as it seems easier to dress up than the sportier domed/oyster pairing. (Correct me if I'm wrong on any of these assumptions.)

I originally settled on the Datejust 36 M126234-0017 (steel/white gold, fluted bezel, jubilee bracelet, blue sticks dial) which goes for $8,200, but my dad is hesitant to leave $3k on the table. He's suggested various models over $10k with the following color codes: [0027 (black), 0037 (blue), 0019 (mother of pearl), 0029 (silver), 0021 (aubergine)], but they all have diamonds, and I'm worried they might be too flashy or feminine. He's been insistent about the $10k minimum, and I want to respect his wishes since he's giving me the watch after all. What would you choose?

TL;DR: Recommend a versatile Rolex Datejust between $10k-$15k (USD) for a ~30yo male tech worker?

P.S. Sorry, I tried to include links to the models but my post count isn't high enough yet!

Re: Which Datejust over $10k?

I like your thinking. Certainly TT has been less popular although I think over the next few years you will find it becoming more popular. First, I would run down to Shreve & Co if you are downtown and try on a DJ 41 to be certain that the larger size is not for you. If it isn't, you might have a talk with your Dad about your reasons for the DJ 36. I just bought a 116234 (I wanted the White Index dial and the hidden clasp neither of which were available on the 2019 126234). So I am with you on the classic Jubilee, WG fluted bezel. You can get the Blue index dial on the DJ36 126234 so I think you are heading in the right direction for a forever watch. Might be hard to find a new one with the blue dial however. Unfortunately today it is not so much what you want as what you can get. The other idea would be to get a SS Submariner with date. Not my style but is a pretty iconic Rolex.

If you're asking for opinions on whether to use a two-tone bracelet or a diamond-encrusted dial to drive up the MSRP of a DateJust, I would go two-tone all day long, with a plain marker (luminous) dial.

Specifically, I would go DateJust 41 in the two-tone rose gold with the Sundust dial; this to me is a super classy, versatile piece. I know you said 36 is a better size for you, but this configuration of the 41 just works so well.

Photo from Rolex website configuration tool:

Name:  m126331-0010_1560638245301.png
Views: 48
Size:  614.9 KB
    Bulgoki, jas1978 and AngelDeVille like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Congratulations to your father for his well earned retirement and he deserves it. I am sure you will cherish that watch for years to come.

I could see why your father was very insistent on some of the more flashy styles, it is to get it up to the USD$10k price point. In that case, what I don't understand is why he is only limited to a Datejust or OP or Cellini since the price is more up there with the sports model in precious metals? But that is another matter altogether so let's discuss your conundrum.

I think you have rationalized it well and the OP and Cellini should be ruled out as it is too cheap. A 36mm suits you best for your small wrist but if we are not hung up on getting to the price, an Explorer I would be nice as it is the "Go Anywhere Do Anything" GADA watch that people talk about. Has great lume, suits casual right up to formal wear.

Like you and if I was limited to a Datejust 36mm, I would pick the 36mm in a fluted bezel with jubilee bracelet. Two tone yellow gold or rose gold is definitely too feminine for a man. However, I believe that you can pull off a black dial with diamond hour markers. Just putting it out there.

Another choice to think about (just to get to the USD$10k) is a Yachtmaster 37mm in platinum. I thought I had pictures of those dial configurations but couldn't find it in my computer, so I have taken it from the Rolex website for your benefit.

Name:  DJ36 and YM37.png
Views: 53
Size:  177.2 KB
    LINVS likes this.

I would re-engage your father about what model is best for you and push for the SS 36mm jubilee/fluted with a plain dial. After all, what is the point if it is something ostentatious that you will never wear.

Otherwise, I’d go up to the DJ41 in SS jubilee/fluted with Rhodium/Silver/Blue etc stick dial. Even if it is larger, I think it is a much more feasible option that TT or a diamond dial (which will be very hard to pull off at your age).

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going to disagree with pretty much everyone else here. First of all, if I were you, I'd impress on your dad why the $10k "minimum" is going to result in buying a watch you don't like as much, at least unless you shoot for the moon with the discount and go for something other than a DJ or OP.

I would also stick with the 36mm given your wrist size, or even a 34mm Date. I have 6.25 inch wrists and two Rolexes: One I bought new in 1996 when I was 31 years old, and it's a 36mm DJ with smooth bezel, oyster bracelet and a white dial with sticks and little Roman numerals. Fits me great. The other I just bought about a month ago, and it's a 34mm Oyster Perpetual with blue dial that fits about the same as my 1996 DJ. The newer cases just fit bigger than the older ones. A 36mm OP would have fit, but the 34 was a bit better on me, and I think a 36 would be perfect for your slightly larger wrist. The 39 looked silly on me, so I wouldn't imagine a 41mm DJ would work.

All of that said, you should try on some 36mm and 41mm because everyone's wrists are different in shape as well as size, and maybe you could pull off the larger size. And, if you like the 41mm DJ, it seems to be available in more options.

But I vote for what you mentioned - 36mm DJ with fluted WG bezel, jubilee bracelet and blue face with sticks. The $8,200 price you quote must be with a good discount, as I believe that combo is north of $10k these days anyway? That's a gorgeous combination and probably my favorite DJ.
    Last edited by Bulgoki; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:58.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeDrinker View Post
    If you're asking for opinions on whether to use a two-tone bracelet or a diamond-encrusted dial to drive up the MSRP of a DateJust, I would go two-tone all day long, with a plain marker (luminous) dial.

Specifically, I would go DateJust 41 in the two-tone rose gold with the Sundust dial; this to me is a super classy, versatile piece. I know you said 36 is a better size for you, but this configuration of the 41 just works so well.
    That is a great looking combination. Wish it were available in 36mm. It seems odd to me that the options are so limited and differ by size. I could be wrong, but when I bought my first Rolex, a DJ back in 1996, it seemed like you could specially order almost any configuration you wanted and a few weeks later it was at the AD. I love my new OP, but it would have been nice if there were more options to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by molemolemolemolemole View Post
    I'm a man in my early 30s and I work in SF bay area tech; most days I wear a button-down shirt and jeans. I'd ideally like a watch that fits this general formality level, but can be dressed down to a T-shirt and up to a suit if possible.

I'd been thinking of rounding out my collection with an Omega Speedmaster Pro before my dad offered, but this Rolex will probably be my last timepiece acquisition, and hopefully my everyday wear.

The Cellini models are beautiful but they're fairly formal and start at $15,200; the Oyster Perpetual models are all under $6k. That leaves Datejust, and I'm thinking 36mm instead of 41 for a 6.5" wrist. My generation seems to consider visible (i.e. yellow/rose) gold ostentatious, so steel/white gold might be best. I like the fluted bezel/jubilee bracelet combo as it seems easier to dress up than the sportier domed/oyster pairing. (Correct me if I'm wrong on any of these assumptions.)
    I would try to get your dad to not worry about "leaving money on the table" and just get the watch you truly want, rather than trying to slam a round peg into a square hole...

That said, I think you'd be better off with the smooth bezel/oyster bracelet combo since you're talking about everyday wear. The fluted bezel/jubilee combo is too dressy for someone in your circumstances imho. And the smooth/oyster combo will look more than fine with a suit, no worries.
    "It's so easy to fall in love with a GS Tiffany Snowflake TM."

I would definitely suggest the blue dial sky dweller and the blue dial yachtmaster. I don’t know about you but I’m personally a huge fan of blue dials and blue dial Rolexes are always in demand and command a premium on the Pre-Owned market. The two watches mentioned are on the sporty side but with some work they can definitely be dressed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulgoki View Post
    But I vote for what you mentioned - 36mm DJ with fluted WG bezel, jubilee bracelet and blue face with sticks. The $8,200 price you quote must be with a good discount, as I believe that combo is north of $10k these days anyway? That's a gorgeous combination and probably my favorite DJ.
    For 36mm DJ in Oystersteel with WG bezel, $8200 is the retail price on jubilee. The TT YG and RG modes have gold center links in the bracelet driving up their retail price to over $11K whereas the WG does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kjian414 View Post
    I would definitely suggest the blue dial sky dweller and the blue dial yachtmaster. I don’t know about you but I’m personally a huge fan of blue dials and blue dial Rolexes are always in demand and command a premium on the Pre-Owned market. The two watches mentioned are on the sporty side but with some work they can definitely be dressed up.
    The blue dial YM 40mm makes full use of the “limit” and I really like that watch. The SkyDweller recommendation has to be a joke, it’s a big fat watch and would not even reasonably fit a small wrist.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information