WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Differences between 1978 Submariners

458 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  m1911 
#1 ·
I finally got myself a Sea Dweller 126600 which I've wanted for a while, so its time to turn my eye to something thats been in the back of my mind for some time, a vintage sub.

Being born in 1978 I like the idea of a watch from that year, but I'm somewhat confused about which to go for. I can't say I particularly care which is the hot one of the moment, and I'm not in it for hopes of massive increases in value.

From what I can tell 3 potentials fall within that date range:

Ref:

I've been using this article as reference but was wondering what people had to add:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/rolex-submariner-reference-points

I just want something clean, functional, and that hasn't been screwed with...

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I'd pass on the entire event.....
Keep the Sea-Dweller and add a new Submariner once they upgrade the movement and thin the lugs.
Old Rolex watches are simply old Rolex watches to me....
The bracelets and clasps are junk compared to new stuff.
I bought a new Submariner back then and wore it 7-24-365 for many, many years....
You wouldn't believe how many times I had to bend, adjust, and replace the clasp-claws due to wear.....
Also bending the leaf-springs just right....until they weren't again.

There were transition differences in the 16800's...
The watches themselves are OK, but I prefer sapphire crystals and hour-marker rings versus tan painted rings.
I was going to trade it, but gave it to one of my daughters because she wanted it because it was mine....
I can't imagine wanting a birth year due to some sentimental reasoning, yet some other dude collected all of the memories and milage on it.

You do remind me of me however.....
I'm a music junkie from the 60's and early 70's mostly, and bought a like new, 50 year old Marantz Amplifier, Turntable, and Speakers a couple of years ago.....

Line art Furniture Coloring book

#4 ·

I adore my 5513 No-Date Submariner. Super clean with a two-line matte dial and without the cyclops. Your birthyear was a great one for 5513's, prices should be fair was well. 5512 theoretically has a better movement but a 4-line dial which looks busy. 1680 has the cyclops and the date, but your SD already has that.

Everyone who has a 6-digit Rolex diver should get a 4-digit. So charming and looks fantastic on a leather strap too.

#5 ·
Great photos....

Did you ever consider a 1655 Explorer-II?
If I could find a 50 year old new-old-stock version I'd buy it, but probably wouldn't wear it daily.
The 1655 is the only watch regret I've ever had.....
I should have bought a new one but bought the Submariner first, then they came out with the 16570 by the time I got around to it.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.