Do you wear your Rolex 5513?
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Do you wear your Rolex 5513?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Do you wear your Rolex 5513?

Hi everyone,
    I have recently been intrigued by the Rolex 5513 submariner. If you have one: Do you still wear it? Get in the water with it? Or has it become more of a collector piece?

I’m interested in maybe buying one and having it serviced.... is the servicing through Rolex more expensive on older/vintage 5513 than say 14060m?

Thank you for your experience and insight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jason71; 1 Week Ago at 18:35.

Re: Do you wear your Rolex 1533?

do you mean rolex 5513?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wear mine regularly. I’m not sure I would advise diving with one or taking it into the water often.

Name:  2ZNIv8X.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  662.4 KB

This is the reason I no longer dive with my plexiglass Rolex watches.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=287895
    Simon, LINVS, derids and 1 others like this.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

BTW, don’t ever have one of these serviced by RSC - USA unless it already has a service luminova dial and hands.
    5959HH likes this.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post

This is the reason I no longer dive with my plexiglass Rolex watches.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=287895
    i read your OP. it didn't occur to me until i read that *why* that sub might have red lettering. is it to help identify your depth?

Quote Originally Posted by zimv20ca View Post
    i read your OP. it didn't occur to me until i read that *why* that sub might have red lettering. is it to help identify your depth?
    It has red lettering because it is a Red Sub. It started its life as one, and it now has a Red luminova service dial.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Re: Do you wear your Rolex 5513?

I wear my 1964 5513 once a week as one would a vintage piece- on a strap mostly, never in the water, not while hammering nails.

If you are looking for a vintage Rolex, the 5513 is the logical starting point for thousands entering that niche. If you are looking for a Submariner to wear daily, that is easy to find, and will save you a lot of money vs. the current model, then the 14060 is what you want. That can handle the daily rigors and pass for a modern Sub from 3 feet away.
    Londonboy, 5959HH and heineken4u like this.
    Rolex Daytona 116500 | Rolex GMT BLRO | Rolex Submariner 5513 | Rolex Explorer 1016 | Rolex Submariner 16610 | Rolex Datejust 126334 | Man Of Rolex™ Member

Follow Me On Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/manofrolex/

Re: Do you wear your Rolex 5513?

I have been thinking about a 16800 - they are not at a premium currently because the internet hasn't started enough threads on them yet. I will buy it, not wear it, service it or look after it, put it in a one-dollar Lock'n'Lock and seal it behind a bath panel. The moment a social media influencer posts a thread about it and the price skyrockets, I will dig it out and take the market for every penny it's got !

Quote Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
    It has red lettering because it is a Red Sub. It started its life as one, and it now has a Red luminova service dial.
    i meant why did rolex do red lettering? until today, i never gave it any thought. but i read somewhere about dive cards with coloured dots indicating current depth as the colours start appearing differently (i don't dive, so this is new info to me).

after seeing your post, it suddenly occurred to me that rolex might be trying for something similar w/ the red lettering.

Quote Originally Posted by zimv20ca View Post
    i meant why did rolex do red lettering? until today, i never gave it any thought. but i read somewhere about dive cards with coloured dots indicating current depth as the colours start appearing differently (i don't dive, so this is new info to me).

after seeing your post, it suddenly occurred to me that rolex might be trying for something similar w/ the red lettering.

I gotcha now

I’m not sure why they chose to do red lettering on the Sub and SD of that era. You are correct though......Red is the first color of the spectrum to fade at depth while diving. That’s why people use red filters for underwater pictures....it adds the color back into the photo. I cannot for the life of me think of a good reason to try to get the “Submariner” Line of text to blend while diving.
    5959HH likes this.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information